Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Does anyone else wish they would get rid of the Finding Nemo Ride?

I really wish they would make it more of an educational, and semi reality based adventure attraction like it used to be, instead of just watching a cartoon from inside of a submarine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful that we still have our submarines, I just wish they would have come up with a great original concept befitting such a unique and classic attraction.

• Blew By You

I like the Nemo subs too. But as a family, we do not climb down on every visit. However, I haven't considered a change to the theme of the attraction. If it's a matter of a new projection of images, I can't imagine that being wholly difficult.

• formerly very helpful

It's nice to have the submarines back in some fashion. I will admit that the ride is enjoyable, and far superior to the 9 years of nothing there.
    However, if given he choice, I'd have it refurbished into something with no TV screens, more akin to an updated version of the original.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    ^^Just because Disney went cheap on 90% of the Tomorrowland attraction in the past does not mean its the themes fault.
    Your argument would hold water if it were not for things like.... EPCOT Future World. Horizons was not Cheap. Life was not Cheap. Motion was not Cheap. None of the repeated redo's of Spaceship Earth or Immigination have been cheap. Even Energy has been redone a few times and is very, very MEH.

People Mover was updated repeatedly, and still no one rode it. Inner Space. Space Station X1. Nothing cheap about Rocket to the moon/mars, and it was updated and was still lame long before it was removed.

I love the idea of a Tomorrowland based on non-fiction. I'm smart enough to look at the history of the repeated attempts to make it work, that have failed over and over again, and realize it is not realistic.

There are many examples of non-fiction Tomorrowland and Future World attractions that have not stood the test of time.

What non-fiction themed futuristic attractions have stood the test of time?

• Insomniac

^^I mentioned earlier that Tomorrowland should go Sci Fi so whateves...
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel View Post
    People Mover was updated repeatedly, and still no one rode it.
    As someone who rode it frequently from the year it opened to the year it closed, I can tell you that the PeopleMover had no major show updates that significantly changed the experience of the ride (other than the addition of the Tron tunnel). None.

Inner Space. Space Station X1. Nothing cheap about Rocket to the moon/mars, and it was updated and was still lame long before it was removed.
    Again, history: once installed, those attractions had no major or significant updates.

I'm smart enough to look at the history of the repeated attempts to make it work, that have failed over and over again, and realize it is not realistic.
    Once again, history: the only real attempts to make tomorrow a viable show were the TL55 update in '59 (Subs, Monorail) and the new TL67. Other than that, zip. Attractions aged, and got... nothing. Bare bones maintenance, insignificant upgrades. Zero investment in innovation. No surprise they went stale.

TL98? Please. Rocket Rods? Joke.

The issue with the tomorrow in Tomorrowland is that other than the original TL55, '59 and '67, Disney has done squat to make tomorrow viable as edutainment or straight entertainment. No hiring of famous scientists and futurists to design the far future. No tapping of the incredible, almost science fiction work that's been done over the last quarter century in astrophysics and particle physics. No equivalent of the edutainment typified by Ward Kimball in the mid-50s -- not the projects and not the personnel. And no equivalent of the breadth, depth and range of design power represented by John Hench (TL67).

No interest in any of it from a Company which, of course, is only interested in using Disneyland to promote its owned, acquired and licensed brands -- particularly cartoon brands. Hence Nemo, Buzz, Woody, Pooh, Cars, et al.

You want to know what passes for futuristic innovation at Disney?

It's when Tom Staggs is so blown away by Star Tours II and the under-construction Carsland that he has a vision for the future of Orlando:

Tried it and failed? No way. Compared to the innovation that created TL67 in its time, it's a gaggle of Marketeers in search of their next (sorry, Nex) bottom line report.

Welcome to Disneyland's great big beautiful tomorrow -- Disney style.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-20-2012 at 10:36 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    As someone who rode it frequently from the year it opened to the year it closed, I can tell you that the PeopleMover had no major show updates that changed the feel and experience of the ride (other than the addition of the Tron tunnel). None.

Again, history: once installed, those attractions had no major or significant updates.

Once again, history: the only real attempts to make tomorrow a viable show were the TL55 update in '59 (Subs, Monorail) and the new TL67. Other than that, zip. Attractions aged, and got... nothing. Bare bones maintenance, insignificant upgrades. Zero investment in innovation. No surprise they went stale.

TL98? Please. Rocket Rods? Joke.

The issue with the tomorrow in Tomorrowland is that other than the original TL55, '59 and '67, Disney has done squat to make tomorrow viable as edutainment or straight entertainment. No hiring of famous scientists and futurists to design the far future. No tapping of the incredible, almost science fiction work that's been done over the last quarter century in astrophysics and particle physics. No equivalent of the edutainment typified by Ward Kimball in the mid-50s -- not the projects and not the personnel. And no equivalent of the breadth, depth and range of design power represented by John Hench (TL67).

No interest in any of it from a Company which, of course, is only interested in using Disneyland to promote its owned, acquired and licensed brands -- particularly cartoon brands. Hence Nemo, Buzz, Woody, Pooh, Cars, et al.

You want to know what passes for futuristic innovation at Disney?

It's when Tom Staggs is so blown away by Star Tours II and the under-construction Carsland that he has a vision for the future of Orlando:

Tried it and failed? No way. Compared to the innovation that created TL67 in its time, it's a gaggle of Marketeers in search of their next (sorry, Nex) bottom line report.

Welcome to Disneyland's great big beautiful tomorrow -- Disney style.
    Great post
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

No way love Nemo and cant wait get on it

None of the repeated redo's of Spaceship Earth or Immigination have been cheap.
    WHAT? Imaginations redo was all about being cheap, the freaking cut out half the ride length and removed all of the animatronics for a few blinking lights? The only reason they had to refurbish it again so quickly is because reviews were terrible and even then it was to calm down guest complaints.

Imagination didn't even NEED the redo it was done because of contractual reasons rather then to further please guests. The entire redo was filled with the same ideology of DCA too, designing an attraction THEY wanted to run not one that people would want to visit.

Have you even BEEN on Imagination 9_9 its not even a future based ride.

---------- Post added 01-21-2012 at 03:05 AM ----------

anywho I'll admit I'm in the group that finds Nemo pretty darn boring. I'm glad the subs are back and the rides cute but the fact that its basically the same story I've seen in the movie told in a less charming/immersive fashion I remain pretty unimpressed. It has a few almsot good moments. If they could somehow remove the plot from being a retred it might be good.

I'd rather the plot be about MY adventure not Nemo's >_> I thought I (the guest) was the star of Disneyland after all? a few more REAL props would also help. The projections work well enough in a few places but not really overall. I actually like the projection effects more at the Epcot ride were I don't wait an hour to get in and I can fully enjoy the set pieces. It just feels much more effective over there.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Hot FIRE!

I like Nemo but I just feel they could have done so much mroe with it. then again a lot of attractions simply retell the story.

...seriously

• Banned User

There is a small set of people that want Tomorrowland to retain it's original World of Tomorrow theme.

Everytime Disney has opened an attraction with that theme, it has quickly grown stale.

Oh, but they haven't tried it enough. All we got was '59 and '67. Sure, in DL. But what about MK in '71 and EPCOT FW in '82?

30 years of trying to make the Tomorrowland theme work.

Thrills and cartoons hold peoples' attention for decades. Walk through Yesterland and see how many thrill and cartoon (not overlays like Gummy boats, but attractions that tell the story of the cartoon integrated into the ride) have closed.

Rocket Rods was not removed due to lack of lines or people not wanting to go on it, but for technical issues of it ripping off its tires and damaging the track. Boomer because it was too generic, too tall and seen from too many locations in the resort (Splash, BTMRR, etc).

Now take a look at how many non-thrill/cartoon attractions have been removed from the parks.

I know people really, really want the theme to work.

When I ask for evidence that it does work, I get "well, they didn't try it enough".

Everytime they have tired it, the attractions grow stale quickly. When they go with thrill and cartoon, they do not grow stale quickly.

You do not have to like reality, but you should try to use it as the basis of your beliefs.

---------- Post added 01-21-2012 at 06:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Infernoman View Post
    I like Nemo but I just feel they could have done so much mroe with it. then again a lot of attractions simply retell the story.

...seriously
    I think you miss the point.

People are simply angry with the reality that the TL themed failed repeatedly, and the stupid people that go to Disneyland wanting thrills and cartoons.

It is like a dogma to them. If something cartoon based goes into Tomorrowland, it must be removed, regardless of how much people like it or how long the lines are.

The Walt the Creator sayith unto thee, though shalt only cavort with toons within the borders of Fantasyland (or other new lands added after the death of the Creator such as critter and Toon Town).

Oh, but it only retells the story...

You mean like Snow, Pinoc, Pan, Pooh, Monsters...

• DLR Cast Member

No, No, and Heck No! Kids love it, adults love it, it's fun, it's popular, and it's got repeatability. Sure, I loved the old subs as a kid, but why the heck would I deprive current parkgoers of a ride that most people like for a ride that some people like? I'm certainly a proponent of nostalgia, but to do so just for the sake of nostalgia? That would be incredibly selfish on my part.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    why the heck would I deprive current parkgoers of a ride that most people like for a ride that some people like?
    Because Walt the Creator saith unto thee, thou shalt not covort with toons in lands other than Fantasyland.

The presence of toons and toys in Tomorrowland is blasphemy, and in discourd with their ideal that tomorrowlan must be based upon Science fact. Popularity with the masses or financial results be darned, Walt's original vision is the only opinion of importance.

The obvious solution is to do what was done with Matterhorn a couple times and redraw the broder between FL and TL.

• Minion

Nemo ride would be okay if it wasn't a crappy repetitive sequel story. Lot that can be done with those characters.

Of course, thinking unrealistically, I'd love it to be replaced with Atlantis the Lost Empire
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

Am I the only one who thinks the mermaids in the Submarine Lagoon, rather like The HM graveyard queue, disrupts the flow of the ride? Seriously, In my mind the Submarine ride is supposed to start realistic, with real sea wildlife, but then as you go deeper into the ocean (as it is implied you are doing) you start to see the fantasy creatures, like the sea monsters, giant squids, and mermaids. Having mermaids be visible from the get-go disrupts this entirely. That's my two cents anyway.
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.
    Check out my bandcamp!
    http://chaseharrison1.bandcamp.com/

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast