Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Re: Does anyone else wish they would get rid of the Finding Nemo Ride?

i actually can't stand nemo. the ride or the movie. it's not my favorite and i dislike the ride alot!! i'd rather stick sporks in my eyes then go on that ride. It's just a blah ride to me..

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Nemo was WDI's ride idea that would sell merchandise, which I understand, but it's not futuristic. It's not adventurous, it's not scientific,it's not even cute it's just blah.

It was built because it was easy and no one in WDI ever thought bout how out of theme the idea really is.
    Incorrect. WDI did not want the original subs closed. In fact, the subs were still popular right up until their first closure, but because of the underwater environment, they were one of the most expensive rides at Disneyland to maintain. So Pressler and Co. mandated it being shut down.

This issue is one of the most legendary battles in Imagineering vs. park management history. Marty Sklar, then head of Imagineering, famously threatened to lie down in front of the bulldozers before he would let this happen. Tony Baxter talks of Paul Pressler cornering him after the closing ceremony to gloat in front of his face, and Baxter throwing back that he hated this day and him. Many imagineers cried during the ceremony. The subs was considered one of Walt's Masterpieces, and Baxter considers it one of the "Golden Triangle," the three attractions that best embodied Disneyland's diverse appeal.

The ONLY way it was convinced to be brought back was when WDI suggested the Nemo theming into it, the choices were "Nemo subs" or empty lagoon. There were no other alternatives. Even then, it was a huge battle. Matt Ouimet, the Disneyland president we all love, was also really reluctant because of cost. It took a new CEO, Bob Iger, and finally John Lasseter's meddling to finally approve it.

For what its worth, I think the Nemo ride is very good. I wish there were more animatronics, but the underwater projection technology is pretty revolutionary. But this ride system is a Disneyland exclusive, and there will never be another like it, anywhere else, ever again.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Love the ride and I live nemo. A new nemo story would be nice though

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    But this ride system is a Disneyland exclusive, and there will never be another like it, anywhere else, ever again.
    Unless another Walt comes around,
    I agree that we won't see a system like this again.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel View Post
    Because Walt the Creator saith unto thee, thou shalt not covort with toons in lands other than Fantasyland.

The presence of toons and toys in Tomorrowland is blasphemy, and in discourd with their ideal that tomorrowlan must be based upon Science fact. Popularity
    with the masses or financial results be darned, Walt's original vision is the only opinion of importance.

The obvious solution is to do what was done with Matterhorn a couple times and redraw the broder between FL and TL.
    You also forgot to mention Cartoon Sheriffs in Frontierland.....omg, it's the end of the world!

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by bellerose75 View Post
    You also forgot to mention Cartoon Sheriffs in Frontierland.....omg, it's the end of the world!
    LOL! Oh my gosh, I just spit my orange crush all over my monitor!!!

I love the movie, hate the ride, but glad its there because kids love it, it sucks people in making other rides less crowded, and it's very pretty to look at.

pressler sounds like a real a hole. Why didn't someone break his legs?

• Nutty about Disney parks

Incorrect. WDI did not want the original subs closed. In fact, the subs were still popular right up until their first closure, but because of the underwater environment, they were one of the most expensive rides at Disneyland to maintain. So Pressler and Co. mandated it being shut down.

This issue is one of the most legendary battles in Imagineering vs. park management history. Marty Sklar, then head of Imagineering, famously threatened to lie down in front of the bulldozers before he would let this happen. Tony Baxter talks of Paul Pressler cornering him after the closing ceremony to gloat in front of his face, and Baxter throwing back that he hated this day and him. Many imagineers cried during the ceremony. The subs was considered one of Walt's Masterpieces, and Baxter considers it one of the "Golden Triangle," the three attractions that best embodied Disneyland's diverse appeal.

The ONLY way it was convinced to be brought back was when WDI suggested the Nemo theming into it, the choices were "Nemo subs" or empty lagoon. There were no other alternatives. Even then, it was a huge battle. Matt Ouimet, the Disneyland president we all love, was also really reluctant because of cost. It took a new CEO, Bob Iger, and finally John Lasseter's meddling to finally approve it.

For what its worth, I think the Nemo ride is very good. I wish there were more animatronics, but the underwater projection technology is pretty revolutionary. But this ride system is a Disneyland exclusive, and there will never be another like it, anywhere else, ever again.
    Wow. This story just makes me sick, the incredible greed of some suits. They already know that they're running the most successful theme park in the world and even then it's never enough dollars for them.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    LOL! Oh my gosh, I just spit my orange crush all over my monitor!!!
    Sorry....

• Former Cast Member

I think they should do a remake of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea with Johnny Depp as Nemo and retheme it like the subs in WDW when it was 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.

• formerly very helpful

This story just broke my heart.

---------- Post added 01-21-2012 at 05:31 PM ----------

And Pressler should be struck by lightning.

So sad how the greed has taken over. I loved the old sub ride... I really dislike the nemo theme. That story just made me so sad how the people behind the parks management are such greedy butt holes!

• Insomniac

I was not talking about the closure of the ride. I was talking about the Nemo overlay. Good info though thanks for sharing! my only gripe with WDI is that instead of expanding the Nemo idea (which according to you was the only option) they cheaped out and just put in a bunch of projections that tell the same story of the movie. I feel that it could have been done much better. Pressler and the then Disneyland management are all truly at fault for not allowing the ride to remain open in the first place.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• The Legend Ends

I wish it was gone ever time I am there
    I believe in Sherlock Holmes, Moriarty was real.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaFan View Post
    I wish it was gone ever time I am there
    No problem. Just don't ride it. That will allow room for all the other guests who enjoy and appreciate it.

---------- Post added 01-22-2012 at 12:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    ... they cheaped out and just put in a bunch of projections...
    Those projections are pretty high tech, and quite revolutionary in how they're executed. I'd hardly call it "cheaped out". Heck, they completely rebuilt and reconfigured parts of the show building! That's not cheap by any standard.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast