Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Does anyone else wish they would get rid of the Finding Nemo Ride?

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post

Those projections are pretty high tech, and quite revolutionary in how they're executed. I'd hardly call it "cheaped out". Heck, they completely rebuilt and reconfigured parts of the show building! That's not cheap by any standard.
    It may not be cheap
    but it seems the execution of the ride comes across as cheap (as in, just playing the movie)
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    It may not be cheap but it seems the execution of the ride comes across as cheap (as in, just playing the movie)
    That's most definitely subjective. I don't find its execution cheap at all. I honestly have no use for the ride these days, but I was actually quite impressed with it when it first opened.

The thing with me is, I recognize its popularity in its current form. Guests absolutely love it, kids and adults alike? Why the heck should I expect the park to axe it just because it's not my thing? Just because I don't find a ride interesting doesn't mean it's a bad or cheap ride, nor does it necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the ride.

I'm just going to answer the question. I don't want it to be axed because it doesn't effect my trip to Disneyland. It's almost like your saying that it should get axed for ruining my perfect trips to Disney. If I don't like it, then voila! I don't have to ride it.

I still think it's a neat concept and the ride system is unique. I don't like the choice of making it a Finding Nemo though.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel View Post
    Oh, but it only retells the story...

You mean like Snow, Pinoc, Pan, Pooh, Monsters...
    But I don't care for those attractions either...so yeah maybe your point goes over my head. I've only driven those subs several hundred times over the course of a year and if I never did I wouldn't even care to say a thing about Nemo.

...seriously

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    No problem. Just don't ride it. That will allow room for all the other guests who enjoy and appreciate it.

True, one does not have to ride it. However, my personal take on it is something was taken away that I got a tremendous amount of joy from, and replaced with something that I get little or no pleasure from. So to me, that makes for a diminshed experience.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    True, one does not have to ride it. However, my personal take on it is something was taken away that I got a tremendous amount of joy from, and replaced with something that I get little or no pleasure from. So to me, that makes for a diminshed experience.
    That's the way I feel about Tarzan's Treehouse. The argument here ^ is that, even if you're not one of them, many people still derive a huge amount of joy/fun out of the current Nemo ride. Almost nothing it seems anymore ever pleases everyone.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Bingo. An exciting, innovative attraction in its time, the Submarine Voyage thru Liquid Space was allowed by Disney to decline. The more that was learned about the undersea world and the more ride technology advanced, the more Disney ignored the subs. Given no show upgrades other than a modern paint job, the once exciting attraction became older and creakier until Disney closed it entirely. Abandoned for years, it was re-opened as essentially the "Finding Nemo Underwater Cartoon Video Rehash" -- a blatant infomercial for the Nemo franchise, which in the opinion of many is a dumbed-down, off-theme insult to the history of the submarine attraction, the purpose of Tomorrowland and the intelligence of its guests.

And Disney? They couldn't have been prouder. In an interview for Disneyland's most diehard fans, Tony Baxter called what they had done to the subs "a major E Ticket attraction."
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-22-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• formerly very helpful

In all fairness to Tony Baxter, I imagine a comment like that could have simply been PR. Based on what I read, he wasn't too keen on what happened to the Subs, and hated Paul Pressler.
    Just hearsay, but sounds plausible.

As much as I love Finding Nemo (In fact it's one of my favorite Pixar movies) I admit that Submarine Voyage disappointed me. I liked The Seas with Nemo & Friends but I felt really disappointed with Submarine Voyage. EVERYONE in my family was expecting to see real fish...

• Sock Puppet

if they had real fish and sharks, that would be cool.. but so far to me it's getting old!

• Arista

I was very very little when I saw the mermaids, it's my first memory of Disneyland. It could have been an animatronic, but I'm still certain that it was an actress. It was about '92 or '93.
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe.

• Minion

i licke the subs but finging nemo subermaie voage should replace something new licke the oragail subs
    I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]http://www.youtube.com/user/matt4mickey123?feature=mhum#p/u[/U- Mattșoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șo[disneyland repctive of the wedsday show dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr

• The Legend Ends

[QUOTE=RiversOfAmerica;1056694759]No problem. Just don't ride it. That will allow room for all the other guests who enjoy and appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

I don't ride it for that reason, I didn't mean it in the way that it ruins the experience for me but in the way that I know they could do better.
    I believe in Sherlock Holmes, Moriarty was real.

The one thing I do really like is the "Mine!" seagulls on the bouey. Funny when a real one is sitting next to them too.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PacificMermaid View Post
    I was very very little when I saw the mermaids, it's my first memory of Disneyland. It could have been an animatronic, but I'm still certain that it was an actress. It was about '92 or '93.
    It was probably an animatronic. There haven't been live mermaids in the lagoon since the 60s.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast