Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Does anyone else wish they would get rid of the Finding Nemo Ride?

I've never really understood why people request for something to be removed just because they don't like it. Here's a crazy thought - Maybe you're just not going to like every single thing there is in Disneyland? And maybe that's okay because the things that you don't like, someone else does?

I doubt it will happen. The company spent a lot of money to fix the ride, retheming wouldn't do that much to the ride. There are other areas of tomorrowland that need to be changed. (Upstairs starcade, rocket rod track, maybe innovations)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    Could have been fun.
    But wouldn't belong in TL.
    The movie is far from futuristic. Unless somewhere in the subs they show how mermaid flippers can scientifically be changed to human legs (or vice versa, for those who want to become a mermaid).
    Couldnt the same thing be applied to nemo(though id rather an all new ride) they could develop a storyline where they are testing a new form of technology that can translate sea animal's body language and sounds. Like i said id much rather have abn original story/ride

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    Couldnt the same thing be applied to nemo(though id rather an all new ride) they could develop a storyline where they are testing a new form of technology that can translate sea animal's body language and sounds. Like i said id much rather have abn original story/ride
    So would I.
    And yes, they could do that.
    Just no Nemo (since the movie isn't futuristic)
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

I kind of wish it was removed and replaced with a remake of the old ride, however from a business perspective I don't think this would be a good decision. I think they just need to replace some of the projection scenes with real animatronics. I think it would be a lot more enjoyable if half of the ride wasn't just watching projections underwater .

• Insomniac

I don't think so.

Disney is just going through all the films and making a few extra bucks off the 3-D angle.
    Lion King did well for them. I believe Beauty and the Beast did well too.
    Unless Mermaid hits 3-D, prob. won't catch the rest.
    The Little Mermaid is set to hit theaters in 3D September 13, 2013. I might go to that one. I went to the Toy Story 1/2 3D release and I heard that the Lion King 3D release was really good. Beauty and the Beast would be fun but I'm too cheap to waste money on it since I just barely bought it on Blu Ray a couple months ago.

I was kind of suprised that they didn't incorporate mermaids into the ride. It could have feature characters from Nemo and the Little Mermaid! Twice the merchandise sales... But in all seriousness they should have told a different story than the movie.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    I heard that the Lion King 3D release was really good. Beauty and the Beast would be fun
    Both were great.
    You can now buy both in 3-D on DVD.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I think the real mermaids were there very soon after opening, so early 60's. Not sure how long they lasted.

EDIT: at least through 1967. Look! Auditioning to be Submarine Voyage mermaids!

I love the music in this video - I looked it up - it's from L'arcangelo and the music is written by Piero Umiliani - the same guy who wrote the original Mah Na Mah Na that has become so commonly associated with the Muppets!

Oh, and more on topic, while I can't imagine this happening any time soon, I really wish they had gone with more of an exploration or sci-fi theme like the movie Atlantis with the submarine voyage rather than Nemo. I'm generally not a fan of rides that simply tell the same story that the movie told. I think its much more creative to have a sub-plot based adventure or an additional adventure with familiar characters from stories. Regurgitating the same thing just gets boring too quickly - why not offer guests something truly unique?

Nothing else to add except this:

The submarines fit in Tomorrowland.

They will continue to be futuristic until we reach the point that submarine travel is widely accessible and acceptable- whether for leisure or not.

How many members here have been on a real​ submarine?

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

I just want to make sure I have this correct.
    Nemo subs: we are being sold on the concept that we can go underwater (in a sub) and with new technology we can understand what the fish are saying (fish that we already understand by watching the movie) (Right?).

but I can walk over to DCA and go into the Hollywood area (I need explaining how this fits in this "land") and do Turtle Talk. With Turtle Talk I can ask him a questions and he answers back (with no mention of special technology).
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

I just want to make sure I have this correct.
    Nemo subs: we are being sold on the concept that we can go underwater (in a sub) and with new technology we can understand what the fish are saying (fish that we already understand by watching the movie) (Right?).

but I can walk over to DCA and go into the Hollywood area (I need explaining how this fits in this "land") and do Turtle Talk. With Turtle Talk I can ask him a questions and he answers back (with no mention of special technology).
    the theme is kinda forced on both accounts. Since Turtle Talk with Crush is supposed to be sold as some kind of animation experiment. A different character REALLY would have been more appropriate given the setting but Crush was an easy/cheap port with good merchandising.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyContinent View Post
    Oh, and more on topic, while I can't imagine this happening any time soon, I really wish they had gone with more of an exploration or sci-fi theme like the movie Atlantis with the submarine voyage rather than Nemo. I'm generally not a fan of rides that simply tell the same story that the movie told. I think its much more creative to have a sub-plot based adventure or an additional adventure with familiar characters from stories. Regurgitating the same thing just gets boring too quickly - why not offer guests something truly unique?
    Well said. Sadly, Disney has answered the question "why not offer guests something truly unique?" over and over in the last two decades: the answer is because they don't have to in order to make money; they don't want to because it's not part of their business model; and they refuse to because they don't want to spend the money. Even if they reversed the above, they can't do it -- they do not have the creative infrastructure to accomplish it.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Wall to Wall Creep View Post
    How many members here have been in a real ocean going sloop? How about three wheeled cars? How about a hot air balloon?

Just because something is elusive doesn't make it futuristic. It only makes it not very accessible to a large number of people. Submarines just have little to no practical purpose for the mass population. They aren't something yet to be discovered or used. Cell phones are newer then submarines... but you wouldn't consider cell phones futuristic.

You could make it futuristic if the submarine was used for some new, futuristic ideal... like say.. taking you to an underwater sea base? But instead all you are doing is observing some cartoon fish.

People don't do this in submarines because its cheaper and more effective to just use glass bottom boats!

---------- Post added 01-23-2012 at 10:16 AM ----------

They do mention 'special technology' - they talk about the special hydrophone... and it's shown right there in the top corner of the screen.

Turtle Talk fits a lot better in the Seas at EPCOT. It was kind of forced in the DCA and TDS implementations.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by Wall to Wall Creep View Post
    Nothing else to add except this:

The submarines fit in Tomorrowland.

They will continue to be futuristic until we reach the point that submarine travel is widely accessible and acceptable- whether for leisure or not.

I've been on a real submarine. I was in Cozumuel, Mexico (I think it was) and my family took us on a real submarine to view the fish and reefs in the area. It was called the Atlantis Submarines and they are for tourists in tropical destinations like Mexico and Hawaii. They are real subs that go on short cruises underwater for about the cost of a day at the Disneyland Resort, and this is just one of many companies that do this sort of thing.

So, I agree with Flynnibus - submarine voyages are not futuristic modes of transportation and also they are now readily accessible at a somewhat affordable price. That being said, I LOVE the subs and don't want to see them go away - I just wish they had chosen a different more sci-fi related theme. If we were discovering a sea base or a lost city, then it would be more futuristic, but listening to nemo and friends recite their lines from the movie? Well...Disney could have done better.

Welcome to Atlantis Submarines | Cozumel, México
    Hawaii Activities, Kids & Family Activities in Hawaii, Atlantis Submarines Hawaii

i agree with SciFi tomorrowland... screw nostalgia, screw all the cutesie stuff... make TomorrowLand actually about Tomorrow...

Stark Expo for Innoventions

Seas of Pandora for the Subs...

yes, those two may not necessarily be Disney... but they fit Tomorrow Land more than a submarine ride through Australia. or gas-powered bumper cars. or a 2-story waste of space with stuff from your local neighborhood electronics store.... heck even Rocket Ships that are only a few feet of the ground.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast