Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: New california screamin cars coming soon?

Got the unfortunate "silent car" last weekend, too and it really makes a huge difference. I would HOPE it's not a matter of a switch not being applied, geez. I've always disliked how low the cars seat you, to the point where you feel surrounded by plastic. Revolution was never like that. Is Screamin' the only Intamin ride Disney has or could it be for R&RC? Wait, maybe that's Vekoma...lol I seriously don't know my coaster manufacturers.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lnsemsf View Post
    I should be clear, i switched to a row with other people in it and stood behind them. Creating no danger what so ever. Changing a row wouldnt help if the whole car is down, so when i knew the timing of the cars and knew the next one would be a dead audio car, i went one row up and went behind those folks already waiting so I'd be on a working train. No harm done, no danger as it was still at least 30 seconds until the next train would have arrived. No harm, no danger, and avoiding no audio, so no cause for alarm! Oh and I have politely asked for a re-ride before when I got no audio and was greeted with "Sorry" and asked to leave.

---------- Post added 01-25-2012 at 04:11 AM ----------

Also, I believe my point was missed. Riding a fully working ride car should not be a "gamble." There are plenty of things at Disney parks you could say are "open to chance" such as what ending will I get on Star Tours, or in our Tower of Terror will I get a drop sequence I prefer or one that's not quite as exciting. I know going in I'll not know what to expect. When you consider this attraction has 2 elements to it, the ride and the audio, sending trains without audio takes 50% of the ride experience away. Here in Florida, where you Disneylander's complain constantly about our show quality and lack of maintenance, I've never one time in over 10 years had a ride on Rock N Rollercoaster where I was sent out on a train with dead audio. Not once. I have had it die 3 or 4 times half way through the ride due to a technical glitch, but never have i gone in and 2 out of the 4 trains just are silent. They wouldn't ever do that, and they shouldn't ever do that. The same thing goes at Screamin. If the cars don't work, they should be taken off and reset or repaired. If trains are going to be taken off because it's a slower time of day, they should never take a working train off when a broken train is left running. I pay a lot of money to go out to California and that ride and that audio is a lot to do with why I fly 8+ hours several times a year when I can be at Disney World in my car in less than 90 minutes. I feel insulted, and Disneyland should be embarrassed, when guests are told that the fact they can only get half their vehicles working means the guests should have to gamble on whether or not they will fully enjoy their experience or leave disappointed.
    I feel your frustration and personally I see nothing wrong with switching rows. If there had been an issue (like you switched with two from a party of four) then the people you let skip would've said no. It really doesn't seem like a matter of politeness to the CMs or guests, much less a safety hazard. I get where you're coming from. But at the same time, I don't think the lack of music on Screamin' is worth ruining your day. Roller coasters are meant to give people an adrenaline rush and the music on Screamin' is an added bonus that makes it all the more special...but at the same time, without it you get a good thrill which is the ride's main job. Do you lose enjoyment if you're not listening to your Ipod on Thunder Mountain? Yeah, the music is cool but at the same time, I can enjoy the ride without it. And even if it was that much of the experience, I don't think the CMs are really in control over it--I mean, broken equipment doesn't fall under the responsibilities of a simple ride attendant, so they really have no power to fix it.

That being said, I do agree that maintenance in general is important and even if the music isn't the biggest deal in the world it's an effect on the ride that should work--it's part of the show. I do wonder sometimes how DLR regulars can complain about the maintenance issues and overall decline at WDW when DLR clearly has its own problems. I get it, West Side reppin, but seriously there are a lot of things wrong over in California too, and when you compare the issues in their two little parks to the ones in the massive, twice-the-size-of-Manhattan mega resort, then DLR actually comes off looking a little disappointing.

I got to ride a silent car on Monday evening ... I actually prefered the silence. To me, it actually made the ride more thrilling and less tame feeling. The music, to me, is just too "happy" that it takes away any of the "thrill" (if there is any - personally, the ride to me is a little boring), of the ride. Without, the drops seemed much more intense.

• Former CM

For me, without the music, Screamin' just seems like any other coaster. It's not a Disney coaster.

• Future Imagineer

I too am confused how you would be in "serious danger" . . . ? Didn't he mean that he switched rows behind the gates? Now if he did it when the gates were open, with a train there, then yes I see the danger . . .
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Intamin refused to get involved when the trains collided. Granted they would be set to make money, but I am not sure how involved they would want to be with new trains.

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    Got the unfortunate "silent car" last weekend, too and it really makes a huge difference. I would HOPE it's not a matter of a switch not being applied, geez. I've always disliked how low the cars seat you, to the point where you feel surrounded by plastic. Revolution was never like that. Is Screamin' the only Intamin ride Disney has or could it be for R&RC? Wait, maybe that's Vekoma...lol I seriously don't know my coaster manufacturers.
    Revolution is a Schwarzkopft, California Screamin' is an Intamin and both Rock 'n Rollercoasters are Vekomas.

That all said, trains do not have to come from the manufacturer. Plenty of coasters run trains made by a different manufacturer.

• Minion of Chernabog

In my opinion the only thing that makes the ride fun is the music. If I want a regular roller coaster, I'll go an amusement park with real thrill rides, not a Disney park. Whenever I get the silent car I'm essentially sitting there bored the entire ride.

It's not a real thrill ride, nor is it well themed. All it has going for it is the music. And I'm not gonna wait in line on a "gamble" to see if I'll get a decent ride.
    The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing - Walt Disney

Shut up and get to work - Me

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I hope they make them look "old" school if you would to make the ride at least look non generic....and maybe more comfortable too

•   
    • Minion

Didn't Intamin say that Disney had made so many modifications to Screamin' that it wasn't considered to be an Intamin company roller coaster anymore?

I agree with those who say the ride music is critical to the experience. On Thunder Mountain and Matterhorn there isn't any music, but the environment is so richly themed that it doesn't matter--and sound DOES still play a huge role in the ride show (the roaring Yeti, the clattering rails on BTMRR, etc.). On Screamin' without music, it's just like being at a coaster at any other park.

If they are fixing the cars, I'd love to see them do something with the restraints to make them adjustable for shorter riders. Every time I go on that coaster I end up having to keep my head rigid to keep it from knocking against the restraint, and it's way above my shoulders.

I luckily have never got a silent car but I am sure that would ruin the ride for me if I did get get one. I defiantly have my fingers crossed for some new cars.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Didn't Intamin say that Disney had made so many modifications to Screamin' that it wasn't considered to be an Intamin company roller coaster anymore?
    They did, but it has not stopped them from doing other business with Disney. Money is money and Intamin may well take Disney's money if a new set of trains is desired and they have worked out Intamin's role in regards to modifications.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Intamin won't take the blame for malfunctions, but they will take money for new fabrication!

Last time I went to CS was Jan 11, 2012 and I went once during the morning and once at night. The one in the morning was working however the one at night was silent.

I realized music actually puts a lot of punch into the ride, because without it, the ride seemed empty, especially when no one is really screaming....*crickets zzzz

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by WildForMrToad View Post
    the only thing that got my attention is when it said ordered by TDA!
    Not likely. I've never seen any correspondence, shipment, or delivery that says "TDA". That's because, although TDA is a building, it's not a deliver location, nor is it a mailing location. Deliveries would be either addressed to WDI or DLR, but never TDA. Also, they're typically be spelled out, such as "Walt Disney Imagineering" and "Disneyland Resort". Also, the TDA building doesn't receive deliveries. Deliveries would go to the Ball Warehuose, Cerritos Warehouse (it's in Anaheim, but on Cerritos Ave), or the Ontario Warehouse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12