Thread: Hollywoodland

• Sock Puppet

Hollywoodland

I used to think Hollywoodland was the best themed area in DCA but now with the refuerb, it is the worst themed area...it is the only one that still seems like it was on a budget. It doesn't help that they use these area for ugly towers for elecTRONica. So, I have a solution. This doesn't just need some new rides, I believe it needs a whole new look all together. Hollywoodland should be an extension of BVS when it opens so get rid of the idea of it being a fake set and actually making it a real street. we can get rid of the backlot and instead have a courtyard similar to the Chinese theater. The area by tower of terror could be turned into more of an environment meant to give more of a creepy feel. Maybe even extend the garden out some to give more of some outside queue space. This area could have alot of potential. The old resterant back there could be a new ride. The buildings could be redone so, instead of giving a kinda sorta old time Hollywood look, and instead transporting you back to old Hollywood. The entrance sign could be taken down (maybe not have one at all) so that it can be a true extension of BVS. The Hyperion theater could be turned into an actual old theater like the kind you would find in the 20's.It could have cartoons playing and fake news reels and maybe a short film or two. These are just some of my ideas.

• Minion

Re: Hollywoodland

You know this is what they're trying to do right.......

• Done with MC.

Great post and great idea. I've always wanted to expand that area.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    You know this is what they're trying to do right.......
    ^ This. The OP probably isn't aware that, with the exception of the Red Car track, Hollywoodland hasn't yet gone through a makeover. My understanding is that we'll see this in a Phase II after Phase I. One thing at a time, people.

• Observer

Hollywood Blvd should have all new facades along both sides to match the new Hollywoodland theme. each facade would have shops and eaterys. backlot area should also have the facades and have new attractions in the old millionare building and the current flynns arcade building... along with Monsters and Muppets

• Senior Minion

Yep, most of what you suggested is what they are already planning for the long term. That's certainly one of the reasons that BVS was chose for the entry area theme in the first place. Really it's part of the overall plan for the park as many of the original lands and sub-lands were too small to really properly explore their themes. BVS very much extends the space for the Hollywood theme while also having it's own identity and feel.

---------- Post added 01-25-2012 at 09:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PozEmerald View Post
    Hollywood Blvd should have all new facades along both sides to match the new Hollywoodland theme. each facade would have shops and eaterys. backlot area should also have the facades and have new attractions in the old millionare building and the current flynns arcade building... along with Monsters and Muppets
    It doesn't need all new facades, several of the facades are pretty nice recreations of real Hollywood buildings. But it does still need quite a bit of work that's for sure. The Hyperion, parts of the Animation building and some other small things on the main street do need to be fixed for sure.

I also don't think that they're in any hurry to remove Monster's and Muppet's. I think that they should and likely will figure out a way to keep both attractions and add another new attraction to the back-lot area. I know that Monster's isn't ideal for the new theme, but at least a decent facade and some kind of clever transition into the Monster world could make it work ok. I really don't mind Muppet's as they have a sort of vaudeville style that fits with an old Hollywood feel.

In some ways I think the best solution would be some major reworking of the back-lot area. I think I clever solution would be to move the Muppet's entry onto HL Blvd in a new facade. Then relocate the juice place and remove the souvenir stand and old Millionaire building and use all of that space from the front of the park to HL blvd for a new E-ticket. That would prevent needing to do anything to the Muppet's building. Basically all the exposed facades would be parts of the new building in that area.

I would then put the entry to the new E-ticket behind the stage near Monster's as to help draw people down Sunset Blvd. Then they should rework the existing stage area to look less like sets remove the cheap seating and let it serve as a permanent home for live entertainment including the nighttime parties. Then they just need to fix the street feel on "Sunset Blvd" in that area and create a nice smaller courtyard feel in the space in front of the old Hollywood and Dine building, the entry to the new attraction and Monster's. This area would then provide additional space for the dance parties. Then the last step would be a new facade and new eatery or two and perhaps another permanent bar for the old H&D building.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Sock Puppet

The Muppet theater should get some nice retheaming to match Hollywoodland. Maybe an old theater or maybe have it be an alleyway that is like you are entering a secret area. With fire exits and things like that. That's what the rest of the queue is like, in my opinion. It doesn't seem like it was made to accomidate guests. Like you enter the stage through the prop room and they have little TV's (they might have to fix that to make it more classic looking TVs). Maybe have a new Muppet film in there or better yet segments that can change like the real Muppet show. Every time you go in there it could be different. You could bring back the old Muppet show intro (that would make products of the Muppet show era happy) and have it be musical numbers and funny skits.