• Get the Annual Pass Later

4 14.29%
  • Get the Annual Pass Later than Later

2 7.14%
  • Get Knotts Berry Farm Annual Pass

0 0%
  • Renew Premium Universal Studios Hollywood Annual Pass

0 0%
  • NUCLEAR OPTION (Combine both 4. and 5.)

2 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Would you say it's worth to get an Annual Pass NOW or wait for it LATER (Please help)

Hello, my name is Bongo, and I need some help. I am about to get an Annual Pass for the Disneyland Resort (Most likely a Southern California Annual Pass), but I need some help decided whether or not if I should get it NOW or LATE? Disneyland's Annual Passes are EXPENSIVE, and this may be a once-in-a-long-time opportunity for me here, so I cannot screw this up. So I decided to go to the best place I could think of for Disney help; MiceChat. Please help me, I am not sure what to do!

If I go NOW...
    Pros:
    - I can enjoy the park as soon as January's first Sunday and go every Sunday after that to reap the most out of the annual pass. That means after every week of school/work/undefined lab rat experiments, I can enjoy a Sunday off at Disneyland and come home to work as happy and chipper as a June Bug (That's a saying that's said a lot nowadays, right?)
    - I get to see and experience Disneyland and especially DCA's renovations up close and personal. I don't know about you, but I am a huge fan of behind-the-scenes type of stuff. Looking through a construction wall or even waving to a construction crew (And him waving back is pure awesome) always excites me, which is also why I love seeing all the new DCA photos streaming in.
    - It's the off-season for many major parks, which means shorter lines, easier to manage crowds, and sometimes lower prices if I'm lucky.
    - I NEED A DISNEYLAND TURKEY LEG IN MY MOUTH RIGHT NOW.
    Cons:
    - The days that are not a blackout date are usually a Sunday or a weekday. Since I am busy during the weekday, Sundays seem to be my best options, so that means to make my money worth it, I'd have to go almost every second Sunday to every Sunday to make it seem worth it.
    - Even though I like behind-the-scenes stuff, seeing huge tarps and construction walls up can kind of detract away from the magic, which I have come to love and expect every time I go to Disneyland (Which is, honestly, very far and few. I can count how many times I've been to Disneyland on just my two hands. That's not a lot. I am not too young, but I am not too old either.)
    - The construction walls also mean that some walkways will be closed off, which can sometimes limit my mobility, and trust me, when I go to a park a lot, I can speed between rides and shows like clockwork (Example? Universal Studios Hollywood. More on that later). Having to stop or slow down for a crowd trying to squeeze past some repairs can be tiresome; especially if a guest(s) is very rude, which has happened to me a few times before.

If I go LATER... (By later, I mean before/during the Summer rush)
    Pros:
    - Disneyland's maintenance and DCA's renovations will be done and it will all be fresh, new, and exciting. I don't know about you, but I love things are fresh and crisp and up to date. Why? After a while, things may become a little dilapidated, outdated, and sometimes, rusty. Good example? Skip down to the "The Great Movie Ride"'s article...
    - Tarps and construction walls will be down, which means a lot more free space to crawl and move around in.
    - ALL rides SHOULD (Main word SHOULD) be functional and fully operating.
    - The DCA Renovations should (hopefully) suck most guests away from Disneyland and into DCA, which leaves more room in the original Disneyland to play and romp around in
    - Some shows, deals, attractions, etc. are only available during the Summer and Fall/Winter seasons
    Cons:
    - Hot weather. Living in SoCal for most of your life still doesn't prepare one for the unbearable heat. Even with proper clothing and protection, I find it a wonder how we are able to live down here.
    - Long lines for rides and food and very little sitting places in the shade (Benches, curbs, those curb things that keep the shrubbery in place, etc) or ANY seating at all for shows like Fantasmic. I mean seriously, I love Fantasmic and all, but do some people seriously just park up a place to sit; blanket and all; on the Rivers of America just to watch the show? I love and hate dedication like that. For one thing, it shows they love Fantasmic to the bone, but for people like me who love to squeeze as much time out of the day and am unable to go to the show until it starts can be...well, more of a fault on my part, but still.
    - Prices are at their height. Always remember to come to Disneyland with a big heart and a deep wallet.
    - BIG. HUGE. MASSIVE. HARD TO MANEUVER. (Sometimes rude, although I can't really blame them). CROWDS.

BUT, there is something else. I have been hearing lately that Disneyland and Disney World are falling into a small state of despair. First thing that comes to mind? Splash Mountain. Now I don't want to just point fingers at Splash Mountain. Other places are guilty of this too. PotC's lines have had trash strewn all across the floor, and at one point even caused a minor traffic jam; dusty and old sets; peeling and chipped paint; work lights turned on during ride operations, etc. I don't know about you, but I find these minute details very distracting. I know it's the off season, but if these things persist up to the Summer Rush, it will cause even more problems than there already is. Trash causing more jams, waiting in line for an hour to see a less than stellar ride experience, etc. I am sorry, but if I pay that much money for an okay experience, it just doesn't seem worth it.

If I go LATER THAN LATER... (After the Summer Rush to Next Year)
    Pros: (Most of these are estimations since they take place in the future)
    - Problems MAY be fixed
    - People will start to diminish from the new rush of a ride(s) at DCA, meaning there is more breathing room for me.
    - Cooler weather = much more enjoyable stay
    - Some new rides, shows, food venues, and/or attractions may be made/done in the future
    Cons:
    - The future is unpredictable and all those Pros may never come true at all. It's like a roll of the die; you never know what's going to come up.

Of course, with such a big and very complicated plan, I always always ALWAYS have the Nuclear Option available as a last resort. What is the Nuclear Option? I ditch the Disneyland Annual pass and go for a Knotts Berry Farm Annual Pass OR Renew my Premium Universal Studios Hollywood Annual Pass OR Get BOTH (Seriously, I added both up and it is still cheaper than the Southern California Disneyland Annual Pass.). It costs less and I get TWO parks. Sound fantastic...

So please MiceChat, I am in need of your help! This is an opportunity that I just cannot screw up on. It's an expensive mistake that could scar my wallet for a long time. To be truthful, I am literally stumped here. the pros, cons, and nuclear option all seem very nice to me. Vacations and breaks are approaching closer and closer every second; time is money, so please do give your opinion on what I need to do. I am in a really tight situation here. Thanks!

PS:​ What are the benefits of a Gold Annual Pass for Knotts Berry Farm compared to a regular one? The website says there are benefits, but doesn't specify what they are. Same with the Platinum Annual Passes. If someone could specify them to me, that would be helpful. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bongo; 01-25-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added a PS

• Under that tree again!

Re: Would you say it's worth to get an Annual Pass NOW or wait for it LATER (Please h

A lot of your reasoning is not valid. Either way you won't get a lot of crowds because you will be blocked out. You won't get better or worse weather, because you have your AP for a full cycle anway.

If you wait until late Spring you will skip some of the large construction, not the rehabs.

Why don't you wait until the late Spring or beginning of summer. Get a two day ticket and use it on days you would be blocked out and upgrade it. Do watch carefully because prices probably will rise for this Summer.

Re: Would you say it's worth to get an Annual Pass NOW or wait for it LATER (Please h

Look, I am not sure on what to do here, so that's why I came here for help. If you see any faults behind my logic or reasoning, please point them out. If not, it's like I'm trying to beat a fly in the dark.

I say get you AP now, and get the Premium. I have the Premium Pass and I love being able to go to the park when I want and not having any block outs. Also a great perk is the free parking and the added discounts off merchandise and food.

If you think about it it really is the best 499 and with the so cal payment plan you can spread it over 12 months at only 34.95 a month. Thats a steal. Plus you can enjoy those special times when you go and things like that. So I def recommend a AP now and getting the Premium.

• Banned User

I voted to get the Pass later. Then you'll start in Spring when most of the walls at DL are done but you'll still have the pass for a year which run thru next spring so you'll still be able to enjoy the new DCA after all the unveilings and towards the end of next Spring maybe some of the crowds will wear down. We only have our passes until July so when we go we will be in the middle of the summer rush as well as the rush to see all the new offerings at DCA.

I would possibly go with a higher type of pass though cuz I think the so. cal pass has a lot of block-out dates. I would also recommend adding the parking to our pass to avoid always paying for parking.

As for getting the Knott's &/or Universal pass....well that depends on which park you enjoy most. Most of us on these boards clearly find Disneyland more enjoyable. My second pick would be Universal then last would be Knott's. But, again, all depends on what kind of rides and atmosphere you like better.

I have to agree with DisneyDreams. The premium is the way to go if you can possibly do it & do it now. The discounts really add up. Disney food prices aren't all that bad when you take off that 15%. Using your pass for the discounts is very easy & the cast members are always gracious in asking if you are a pass holder.
    To make the premium a logical choice, you have to plan on using it once a month. Any less than that, you probably would be better off with one of the lesser passes. Any more than that & you would be foolish not to go with the premium. We purchased our PAP last October & have gone 5 times so far. We figure that if we don't go again that we would have broken even. From this point on, we are ahead of the game. It isn't hard to go once a month. If we didn't live 100 miles away, we would go more often. Another benefit of going more often is that you learn how to use your time at the parks in a better manner. There is also the added freedom in knowing that if a certain line is too long or that if some attraction has gone 101, you just put it on your list for the next time.

• Minion

It sounds like you're strapped for cash from your first paragraph. It may not be my place, but if money is a concern, which you do make it sound like it is, I say wait and get your AP later when you may be more financially well...

i would recommend getting it now before they have another price hike (possibly when DCA has their re-opening this summer, the prices may go up again?)

• Zephyr Pilot

If you get the pass later, you will just get off-season refurbishments on the end of your AP year instead of the beginning.

I like having my PAP I have been 24 times this year so far woo hoo!!!!!! I go often and I MEAN OFTEN. I am actually headed there today.

• Not on the Jedi Council

I'll agree with the Premium Pass. The reason being that parking is $15 an entry, and that might go up during the year. To me, if I hadda scrounge $15 each time I went just to get in the park, I would not go that often. And as gomezaddams said, with five visits in a year, you will come out ahead in admission vs. just paying single day prices.

It also gives you a different feel when you visit. The lines are insane for Indy? Fine. Go another day. No worries. And you don't feel like, "well, if I go home now, I will have wasted my money." Takes a lot of stress off on visits, and it is fun to just pop down for a meal sometimes. You will also get to do MiceChat events. I spotted for the Gumball Rally last year. I will be the breakfast this Saturday, and will be back on Sunday after I go to church for the events then. And it won't break the bank.

As for maintenance, Disneyland Park is easily the best maintained park in North America. Look at the Dateline Disneyland reports. They make plenty of money in Anaheim, but they also spend quite a bit. Can you find things that need fixing? Yeah, but if you look closely enough, you will find flaws in anything.

Florida's problems are not yours, or ours. They have separate admission, unless you plan to shell out $800 to get the "Premiere Annual Pass" which allows for all North American parks here and in Orlando. There aren't that many MiceChatters who have gone that route. I might this year as I will be attending a wedding in Tampa, but that isn't a regular option for me.

As for the other parks, I don't know Knott's very well, so I can't help you there, but I am thinking about a pass to Universal this year for the new Transformers ride. For me, the studio tour is a once in five years kinda thing, and things seems to be improving, but their maintenance was bad for a long time. Terminator needs a real refresh, for example, since Shaq left the Lakers how many years ago? And those screens, unless they have been repaired in the past few years, were in really bad shape last time I was there.

• Banned User

There's a certain amount of urgency in your request. I don't know how much you're willing to wait, but if you can't wait, its a matter of how much you want to go and how much you're willing to pay. You don't say how much you can afford.

Perhaps you should just buy the Southern California passes. Go 2 or 3 times. Then wait until after DCA opens Carsland and buy the Annual Pass to get the full enjoyment out of it.

I like the Annual Pass monthly payment plan. You can go now and not worry about paying the full amount upfront. Best to do the math and see where it leads.

I have a premium pass and love being able to visit on Saturdays and block out holidays. However, it is worth considering that you can more or less buy two full years of the So Cal pass for one year of Premium (though I agree with others that it would be essential to add in parking, so it is not quite 2:1). But given your comments about being cashed strapped, I'd go for the So Cal pass with parking, now.

• Banned User

Premium annual pass would be my recommendation.... don't forget that with the premium AP you also get free parking... I'm not sure if the pass you are talking about does, and if you plan on going as often as you say, the savings in parking would quickly more than pay for the added cost.

• Still Dizzy

Use the payment plan option, get a Premium annual pass, and get it now. If you're in socal, why wouldn't you use the payment plan, 12 months to pay, no interest. It's a steal.

Plus you said you'll want to go at least every other sunday which will cost you over 300 dollars in parking fees over the course of the year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast