Designing a new Disneyland ("fan-imagineering" project)

Hi everyone! I'm new here, so I'm not really sure to be posting at the right place, but I couldn't find the appropriate forum for this thread... I wanted to show you a project I am currently working on, which consists of concepting a whole new Magic Kingdom, adapted from the original Disneyland concept. I have started a blog to explain the content of my project in the future: neodisneyland.blogspot.com in which you'll find some more of my renderings. Here's a copy/paste of my first article :

" As every magic kingdom, the park would be devided in several lands, five in this case : Main street, Discoveryland, Storybookland, Country of the spirits, and Frontierland. The first land, by which you enter the park, is of course Main street. Throughout the history of Disney parks, the main street has always been reproducing Walt Disney's hometown, Marceline, Missouri.
    My version of Main street depicts an anonymous european city from the inter-war period. In this land you would find inspirations from almost every european capitals and their own architectural heritages. It would also be a way to introduce some very beautiful architectural styles that have never been used before in a theme park ( at least to my knowledge ) like for instance the franco-belgian "Art nouveau" style, and its hungarian and swiss variations.
    The only proper ride on main street is the Haunted Mansion, with of course a new european theme and storyline, involving a rich art collector, owner of the house, and madame leota as the main antagonist. The principal difference between the original Disneyland concept and my interpretation of it, is that there is no longer a central plaza at the crossing of the lands, as I replaced it by a lake. The abscence of a hub is compensated by the fact that Main street is not hermetic to the other lands anymore.
    (the sketch below is an elevation study for the main street)

The transition between Main street and Discoveryland is made by the red brick facade of a Tron 4-D dark ride, using a similar technology to the one that Intamin and Universal develloped together for The amazing Spiderman ride, at Island of Adventures.
    Discoveryland's center piece is a hemispheric Space Mountain, isolated on an artificial island surrounded by water and exotic rocks. This lake is also home to aquatopia, that would be slightly different from the original one at Tokyo Disney sea, since it would have two distinct operating programs: a daytime program and a nighttime one. At night, water screens would rise up from the lake, and video-projections would be displayed on them, showing beautiful astronomical phenomenas and strange creatures coming from the depth of both the sea and the outer-space. Further on, a monumental art deco pavillion hosts a Soarin' spin-off based on the 1991 movie "Rocketeer".
    Coming back to the central lake, after walking through a futuristic landscaped area made of waterfalls running on giant stylised copper ores, you find yourself in front of the key element of any respectable magic kingdom park : the castle.
    Here, the castle is the one from the evil queen in "snow white and the seven dwarves". It would take the shape of a dark bavarian castle, setted up into a threatening forest, inspired by the black forest in Germany, where the tale is supposed to take place. It would be the main gate to Storybookland, which as you may have guessed is an equivalent to Fantasyland. Storybookland has a much more restrictive theme than Fantasyland, for it is dedicated to the fairytales that were brought to screen by Walt Disney himself, when he was still alive. It features enhanced versions of some of the classic Fantasyland dark rides : Snow white's scary adventures, Alice in wonderland, and Pinnochio's Daring Journey.
    These new versions of the traditional dark rides would use trackless ride systems, have augmented storylines and more modern special effects. Storybookland would also have some original rides : A 3D omnimover ride based on "Sleeping Beauty", a canal boat ride taking place on the central lake, and a Fantasia live music show. Next to Storybookland is Country of the spirits, a small land based on Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited away, with only one E-ticket ride : a boat ride using the same building and track layout as Pirates of the caribbean, but telling the story of spirited away through the use of new sceneries and special effects.
    Once you've been through this Country of the spirits, you find yourself at the doors of Frontierland, a huge dried canyon, that leads you to the ruins of a what used to be a mining town, abandoned after an earthquake occured centuries ago. The major ride of the land is an indoor version of Big thunder mountain. There is also a boat ride, "Keelboats through nature's wonderland", which is actually a tribute to the ancestor of Big thunder mountain : "mine train through nature's wonderland". " Please tell me what you think!
    ---------- Post added 01-31-2012 at 01:04 PM ----------
    PS : I am french, so that could explain some language mistakes.
    Last edited by Chandelierh; 01-31-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Re: Designing a new Disneyland

Awesome!!! Thank you for sharing your talents.

I actually stumbled across your isometric aerial perspective on deviantart several months ago, so it is great to finally read a more detailed description of what the park is like and to see some more artwork & elevations.

The art nouveau Main Street is brilliant.

I like everything about your idea: familiar yet different from all the existing Disneyland's we know and designed on a fairly modest scale.

I am going to visit your blog now and look forward to more posts.

Formidable!

Thank you very much ! I am really glad you like it. I am a reader of your blog, and I am very impressed by your work, so those compliments are all the more appreciated when coming from you.

• Minion

I really really liked a lot of these ideas.

The main thing I would change would be the Spirited Away land/ride--it's really not a very accessible movie and I'm not sure it warrants a ride let alone a whole land.

Also, the main castle, IMO, should be happy, not something villainous and foreboding. Unless you turned this concept into a sort of 'Dark Kingdom' in which that would work out very cooly.

Everything else about this park looks great and I want to visit as soon as possible! Maybe later on you can go more in-depth about the Tron ride or the Sleeping Beauty ride, or some of your other creations!

Thank you for your comment!
    I really love Spirited away, and Hayao Miyazaki. And I don't think it is unaccessible, whatever you mean with this word. I don't know how this movie was received in America, but it had a huge success over europe. What motivated me, when I decided to envision a re-theme of POTC based on Spirited away, was that I thought it would be much more fun to work on another theme than "pirates" which comes with a lot of clichés and pre-conceived ideas, I wanted to start on a "blank page", without too much stencils to refer to. And Spirited away seemed to be the perfect theme for it : It is a masterpiece in animation History, it has a huge potential in every way, and it has never been adapted into a theme park attraction.

Snow white and the seven dwarves is the first movie I have ever seen, and I have kind of an "emotional" attachement to it. Moreover, it is the first full lenght feature that Walt Disney ever produced, and I really wanted the castle to be the one from Snow white. But the castle in the movie is not actually the one from snow white, it belongs to her step-mother, which is evil. It would make no sense to try to make it look friendly or welcoming. I don't mean it has to scare children to death, but it must not be pink or white. I think a dark and and mysterious look, along with an appropriate soundtrack (the evil queen's theme for instance) would make the journey from main street to Storybookland even more exiting in some way.

Concerning further updates, I plan to make the most complete description possible, with storyboards, architectural studies, and plans for each ride scenery element, as well as 3d models of some of the principal buildings. In fact, the project is a lot more advanced that what you see in this first post, which is only the begining. I will try to post things regularly.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Awesome.....!!! Very well done indeed

Randy, you have some competition
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Mickey Ear Biter

Thanks for the pics-- they really help us see your vision. I like how you keep to the familair structure of Disneylands across the globe, but injected something new (such as the european mainstreet). It sound and looks beautiful and really sets this MK apart from others.

However, what really spoke to me was Discoveryland (your replacement of sorts for tommorrowland). My problem with many tommorrowlands is a distinct lack of nature (is this purposefully done to imply a foreboding loss?). Discoveryland keeps the beauty and wonder of exploration of science without getting caught up in a more stark future envisoned by many current tommorrowlands. Your Space Mountains sounds majestic.
    Sometimes we cannot help, but be a little over dramatic...

This is one of the most original concepts I've seen in a while. It's like an alternative Disney that re-defines the magic kingdom. Honestly, walking thorough the park sounds like it would be like walking through a painting. While the concept isn't incredibly realistic (I couldn't imagine Disney doing anything like this), it's a real piece of art. All the different styles really come together nicely and gives Disney a very European flair (as opposed to every other Disney park which is very "American").

Can't wait for more.

This is really cool! I like how there's a lake instead of a hub. It sounds like it would be very pretty. I think that Main Street looks very interesting as well! I've never heard of anything quite like it.

Would Keelboats Through Nature's Wonderland be similar to the Jungle Cruise (except in the west), or like the original keelboats, or something completely new?
    "Pretty soon he would be hundreds and hundreds of miles away on the great plains and deserts, and among the mountains of the Far West, and would see buffaloes and Indians, and prairie dogs, and antelopes, and have all kinds of adventures, and may be get hanged or scalped, and have ever such a fine time, and write home and tell us all about it, and be a hero."
    - Mark Twain, jealous of his brother, who was traveling west.

SleepyJeff> Thank you

Jesser-pie> Thank you for your comment, I am glad you like Discoveryland. In fact, I think I decided to add this natural and mineral aspect to Discoveryland when I decided that there would be no Adventureland in my project. I don't want this park to just look like a city, I am really interested in designing rockworks and landscapes.
    And also, I am a big fan of the rockwork that has been done on Disneyland Paris's Discoveryland by Tim Delaney and his team, and I wanted to reproduce it on a larger scale (on paper, at least).
    What you say about the lack of nature in the Tomorrowlands, as a premonitory sign of the present and future degradation of natural resources seems really interesting to me (even if you intended this to be taken with a pinch of salt)

Mactheman> The "piece of art" compliment goes right to the heart
    As you said so yourself, this is not a realistic project, my goal with it is to work seriously on an "imagineering-like" fictional project, while having fun by using only references that inspire me. This is a way to keep myself on track, and not give up in the middle of the process. So the main goal is not to make it reliable commercially speaking, but to give my vision of what would be the ideal magic kingdom for me.

Frontierlandfan> Thank you! The keelboats ride will be more like the Jungle cruise, but with a narrative storyline and onboard-audio, pretty much like a dark ride, but outdoors.

Sorry for the delay between your comments and my answers, I had some e-mails to respond first, and I discovered that expressing myself clearly in english is a harder task than I thought!

• Banned User

In a little garden called Pixie Hollow at the base of the magestic Matterhorn Mountain

I think this kind of thinking is what Imagineering needs

• Dreamer

Magnifique! I can't add anything more since everything I feel about your project has already been mentioned above. Your conceptual elevation just gave me some inspiration of my own for a little unrelated project of mine. Keep up the great work!

Also, you should ask RandySavage to do a map/blueprint for you, he's been know for them in these parts. It might help you with attraction placement and avoiding bottleneck pathways, or adding more than originally thought.

• "The Musical Quil"

Wonderfull, I don't believe I need to say more.
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS