Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Loves Disney

Carsland Previews for Annual Passholders

I was reading the "In the Parks" today and saw they mentioning of imited number of Passholder previews will be conducted prior to the June 14th media day. I started to think does that mean Disney will once again do the lottery system for lucky annual passholders to be able to preview the new land before opening. My only concern was that with Star Tours I never got notice when the site was up and running to enter my information to the lottery and my other concern is that I have a feeling a lot of annual passholders will be complaining about how they didn't get selected. I wanted to hear what everyone concerns or ideas of how this should be controlled.

• DLR Cast Member

Re: Carsland Previews for Annual Passholders

I suspect the "In the Parks" article might have jumped the gun a bit. My insider info tells me this hasnt' been worked out yet, and that the dates aren't as yet set in stone. However, the details should be formally announced soon. Admittedly, I'm not part of that team, so I don't have direct info myself. The logistics of opening a single ride and a whole land are completely different, and don't play by the same rules. I can guarantee now that, no matter how Disney does it, some people are going to be upset.

I'm really hoping that DLR will take a broader approach to Passholder previews. The lottery system makes sense for a single attraction, but glitches and whatnot can void a passholder's ticketed time (I don't know how else to word it). I experienced exactly this during the TSMM previews back in '08 (has it really been that long already?!?!?!). And I remember last summer, there were last-minute CM and Passholder previews for TLM (at least, that's what it seemed like after reading all the threads and reports).

Cars Land should be able to hold WAY more lookyloos, er... guests, CMs, and Passholders. If they open the land for general preview times, and then do a lottery for Mater's Jamboree and RSR that sounds like the perfect way to make sure more folks get a shot at the preview even if they don't necessarily want to be first on an attraction. Maybe even open certain areas at a time... the shops and the diner first, then have soft openings for the attractions, etc.

Fingers crossed, here's hoping that the previews start early. I can't believe the DCA re-do is finally just about done!!!
    Last edited by cris77; 02-03-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Typo

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    I can guarantee now that, no matter how Disney does it, some people are going to be upset.
    You're right. Like the old saying goes..."you can't please everybody"

I remember when I was in line for the AP preview of Star Tours 2.0, there were non-AP visitors complaining that they couldn't go in.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I think the question will be how important they want the media previews to be and if they will allow a ride to operate while the land itself is not opened.

I'd wager they will offer 'tours' to smaller groups of media.. when the land isn't operating fully... crossed with scheduled dry runs of the land as a whole as ticketed events.

Given Disney's focus on marketing to the APs of late... you know they are gonna ham this up.

The problem is for these new rides, they typically do such soft-openings many many times and they want flexibility to start/stop. If it becomes a ticketed event, its harder to do it so many times, and there will be pressure to operate for the event, rather than on each attraction's own needs.

So what we could see is... CL get 99% finished.. then see a bunch of walls go up leaving paths only to the rides themselves. This would allow them to let people into the land to get to an attraction that is soft-opened, without too much wandering in CL itself. (you would only allow people in there when an attraction is opened). This could give the attractions say 2 weeks of training and soft-openings... followed by the walls coming down... media tours during the day/evening when the land is closed, followed by special AP previews for the whole land in the evenings. These events could allow a large group of people for a time window (say 2-4hrs) because its a full land and not a single attraction. Open the shops during this time and food. Do 2-4 of those events... and I think you meet everyone's demand.. for marketing/PR, for attractions, and for AP relations.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The problem is for these new rides, they typically do such soft-openings many many times and they want flexibility to start/stop. If it becomes a ticketed event, its harder to do it so many times, and there will be pressure to operate for the event, rather than on each attraction's own needs.
    That's been my argument in the past as well. Either great minds think alike, or this was my only great thought for the rest of time.

I suspect the "In the Parks" article might have jumped the gun a bit. My insider info tells me this hasnt' been worked out yet, and that the dates aren't as yet set in stone.
    As a reminder to everyone, Al Lutz broke the news on the June 15th opening date yesterday.

And then In The Parks simply cut and pasted the original Al Lutz quoted info today...

EDITOR’S NOTE 2/2: The dates for DCA's grand re-opening event have finally been chosen. June 14th will be the media day and private celebrity party, and June 15th will be the official first day of operation for customers. There will only be a handful of days for AP Previews and soft openings for Cars Land in early June, and those dates aren't confirmed yet. June 15th will also kick off DCA's new operating schedule of daily 8AM to 11PM hours through the summer. -Al Lutz
    So there is very little info available from Lutz on any AP Previews, aside from Previews only being:
    "a handful... in early June, and those date's aren't confirmed yet."

You can't get much more vague than that when it comes to AP Previews, aside from them being sometime in the first two weeks of June.

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

I'm happy that they are going to have an annual pass preview, but what make me sad is that is not fair for other people/tourist who just show up for a day or two and spend a lot of money and can't even ride.

I was there for the annual pass preview for Little Mermaid Ride and I saw a group of Asian tourists who was super excited to ride this brand new ride not open to the public yet. As they were waiting in line for five minutes they were all turned away by a CM because they did not have an AP.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Sock Puppet

if they have one they have one. if they don't i won't cry over it. I will still be able to see the new land when it opens with our with out a preview..and even if i don't get picked to do a preview i won't be mad

• Pilot EdForceOne

That's been my argument in the past as well. Either great minds think alike, or this was my only great thought for the rest of time.
    What.. don't you like my solution though? Sounds like a 'win win' to me except for the cost angle. But if you are doing it for operational benefits (warmup), customer sat with APs (marketing, customer loyalty), and media relations (PR)... all of these are loss leader type expenses anyways.

Disney has proven they can put walls up and down in large scale at will. I mean, I bet they could change from no walls, to full walls in a single night no issue. But if you phase it correctly, you should be able to avoid having to flip flop with the walls.

Phase I - Test/Train
    CL walled up except for attractions. Staff front entrance, let people in only when a ride is in soft-openings. Only rides operating when testing/training. Food/retail all walled off.
    Phase II - Media/VIP Relations
    Walls down. Media tours with only limited staffing to operate what you show the media through.
    Phase III - AP Previews and full Media previews
    Walls down, operate the land completely (rides, food, retail) for ticketed events given away to APs via lotto and radio promos. Events are only during a fixed time and # of them depends on final intent.
    Phase IV - Coordinated opening
    Finally, the grand opening to cooincide with BVS, full media explosion, big speakers, and let the lands be fully open.

This assumes BVS doesn't need any shakedown with real guests... hoping things like trolly can get shaken down after hours or with limited CM participation.

Come on Disney.. hire me as a planner and analyst

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Loves Disney

Neither the less its going to be exciting either way, Knowing Disney they will work out a detail plan for the previews and have some sort of system for it all. Makes me think why can't the just do testing of rides with crowds by using cast members. Testing with cast members should be fairly simple seeing they can be back staged and used for testing purposes. Also taking the idea from flynnibus I would think that if they were going to use wall paths it would be the archway entrance to cars land as entrance and exit for RR and for Lugi's flying tires. While there can be a small queue area setup by bugs land for Matter.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The problem with using CMs is... CMs aren't always there! When you need to do lots of cycles you need lots of bodies over many days. CMs have lives too and don't look to hang out for days on end when not on the clock. And they may not be there when you want them to be.

That the beauty of using the public.. they are always there and willing. All you need to do is open the door and shut it when you don't want anymore.

Am I evil? yes, I am

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post
    As they were waiting in line for five minutes they were all turned away by a CM because they did not have an AP.
    Unless Disney has changed things
    They are pretty good about having signage up stating that it's an exclusive event.
    If people choose to stand in line, then that's what they choose to do, but shouldn't be upset when they are reminded by a CM that it's not open to the public.

I'd would kinda like them to do with CarsLand like they did with TOT.
    I liked that they had a "preview party" (yes, tickets were up there in price)
    and you could enjoy the attraction
    but at the same time, purchase special commerative merchandise.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

If they do them will they email all the AP or will you have to find it on the AP website?

• Minion

they might do they same thing they did for mickey soundatiol prade
    I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]http://www.youtube.com/user/matt4mickey123?feature=mhum#p/u[/U- Mattșoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șo[disneyland repctive of the wedsday show dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast