Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Closed Account

Re: Old Jungle Cruise boat design question

That's a good thought, sbk.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    .... Could it be a brake? I...
    Brakes on a boat ;-)

Brakes.... Brakes......, where are the Brakes.

• Down Pluto!

If the boat is on a track - then brakes makes sense

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Closed Account

Check out the skipper's right hand at the 3:39 mark...

Disneyland Canon 1957 - YouTube

• Dont make me unfriend you

I think sbk1234 might be right. Based on Steve's posted video, I will vote brake too.

The boat comes up to the boat and the skipper does something to that lever. I would guess it's to hold the boat in place as people unload or load.

Either that or it locks something to the track so the boat doesn't rock as much as people load/unload.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Hmmmmm... Having a "Parking Brake" of sorts rigged to the guide rails at the dock would be an interesting idea - till it breaks, and you have to pull the boat out and fix it. Over, and over, and over, and over.... Nevermind, have the Unload CM's hold it in place.

My first thought was it's the thrust reverser or "reverse gear" on the early boats. They may not have had the "unified control binnacle" when the JC boats were first built in 1954 - especially if the first generation were built with propellers & a gearbox and not jet drives.

The current engine control binnacle lever does Two things inside with cams and levers, they throttle up the engine going either way from 'Neutral, and they shift the thrust reverser bucket in front of the jet pump nozzle for reverse.

And a quick search about Jacuzzi Brothers Inc. Jet Drives got me absolutely nowhere on a timeline - It hints at "became popular in the 1960's", which might mean the boats started out with regular propellers.

Okay, time to ask someone who knows - {ahem! Check One...} <CLICK> "Paging Bob Gurr, Please pick up the White Courtesy Phone. Robert Gurr, Please call the Disneyland Operator."

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Minion

Maybe that's the signal for "Riverboat, ring your bell."

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Hmmmmm... Having a "Parking Brake" of sorts rigged to the guide rails at the dock would be an interesting idea - till it breaks, and you have to pull the boat out and fix it. Over, and over, and over, and over.... Nevermind, have the Unload CM's hold it in place.

My first thought was it's the thrust reverser or "reverse gear" on the early boats. They may not have had the "unified control binnacle" when the JC boats were first built in 1954 - especially if the first generation were built with propellers & a gearbox and not jet drives.

The current engine control binnacle lever does Two things inside with cams and levers, they throttle up the engine going either way from 'Neutral, and they shift the thrust reverser bucket in front of the jet pump nozzle for reverse.

And a quick search about Jacuzzi Brothers Inc. Jet Drives got me absolutely nowhere on a timeline - It hints at "became popular in the 1960's", which might mean the boats started out with regular propellers.

Okay, time to ask someone who knows - {ahem! Check One...} <CLICK> "Paging Bob Gurr, Please pick up the White Courtesy Phone. Robert Gurr, Please call the Disneyland Operator."

--<< Bruce >>--
    Ummm... current boats, aside from the CNG conversion, are still straight 4's with a prop shaft. I used to have pictures of them when they were lifted out, and I've helped on them enough to know the setup. I also confirmed years ago that the straight 4 has always been the boat setup, and that the forward/reverse itself has never changed. However I have yet to see a video of early boats backing up so I am unable to confirm that first hand. I know the physical boats today are bigger then the early boats. This is why 2 boats were removed and partially why the speed is slower. There is a governor that prevents higher speeds on the new models, but the old boats were also faster due to being overall smaller and lighter.

Steve... if this is indeed a brake system the immediate followup (which may not have an answer readily available) is why was it removed? As a former Skip who witnessed first hand the perils of "docking" I would think a brake system would be mandated on the boats. I've seen plenty of incidents at both load and unload caused in part by inexperienced Skips trying to dock.
    Last edited by techskip; 02-06-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Spin off question: do you know any more about the context of the James Garner photo?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12