Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Old Jungle Cruise boat design question

Ok... my friends and I have determined without a doubt that the part in question is NOT the throttle... Thankfully Davelandweb was able to confirm via pictures from 55-58 that the throttle was on the left side of the console and a completely different design. Again I repeat it is NOT the throttle... so

What control does Mr Garner have his left hand on? The going thought is the rudder control but we can't find any references to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Old Jungle Cruise boat design question

James Gardner worked at Disneyland?
    When I first saw the photo (prior to reading the name)
    I thought it was either Gardner or Jethro from Beverly Hill Billies (at first glance before I actually really looked at the photo)
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Maybe it was just a prop put there for a publicity photo. Is it in other pictures without Garner and just a regular day at the parks? I find this intriguing and want to know the answer too!

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

Perhaps it is the boat's wheel, as it does resemble the spindles that are commonly found on a ship's wheel.
    The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

Ahhh, You are right. He does have his hand on the spindle. It just looks like the spindle was connected to the white bar but it isn't. There is a slight curve for the wheel you can see in between the bar and the spindle. So what is the white bar for?

• Minion

I have a question regarding the old boats as well. When were they swapped with the new boats that we see now. I know that it some time in the 90s

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by seafaring_ghost View Post
    Perhaps it is the boat's wheel, as it does resemble the spindles that are commonly found on a ship's wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Ahhh, You are right. He does have his hand on the spindle. It just looks like the spindle was connected to the white bar but it isn't. There is a slight curve for the wheel you can see in between the bar and the spindle. So what is the white bar for?
    Nice catch
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I have a question regarding the old boats as well. When were they swapped with the new boats that we see now. I know that it some time in the 90s
    95 was when the Boathouse was built and larger boats were installed.

There are additional photos of this mystery control on Davelandweb (not of James). In the Unload photos it appears in that position... however it looks different when boats are leaving from Load. Based on that I assume it isn't a prop but I lack any documentation or reference to it. There is also a photo of Walt with the PM of India, same bar in the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    95 was when the Boathouse was built and larger boats were installed.

There are additional photos of this mystery control on Davelandweb (not of James). In the Unload photos it appears in that position... however it looks different when boats are leaving from Load. Based on that I assume it isn't a prop but I lack any documentation or reference to it. There is also a photo of Walt with the PM of India, same bar in the photo.
    What is the mystery control? Rockford just has his hand on the boat's wheel right? Or are we talking about the L-shaped white bar now?

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

That's quite the illusion. wow.

• Closed Account

Rudder control? On a boat that's guided by a track?

Anyway, I, too, think Garner's hand is on the wheel. As for the white lever, I have no clue. But here's another shot, with a different-looking lever.

That's King Hussein of Jordan, BTW.

• "I Break Things"

This is Walt with the PM of India
    http://davelandweb.com/junglecruise/...Ps_Nehru61.jpg From Davelandweb (purposely linked instead of brought over as an image)
    The strange bar control can clearly be shown beneath Walt.

http://davelandweb.com/junglecruise/...18_55_N15B.jpg From Davelandweb showing the throttle on the left side of the console

http://davelandweb.com/junglecruise/..._27_56_JC1.jpg from Davelandweb, again clearly showing the bar in the same position as my original post, but opposite Steve's photo.

Quick well earned plug. I don't know who has or hasn't been to Davelandweb but he has some fantastic images of the park over the years. He's also a Micechat member, and yes his images are for sale. In this case his photos are proving to be very useful from a research standpoint. As I look through the photos the bar was in place at least through the 1960's. I can't tell if it was a prop or an actual control.

• Closed Account

Is it possible it's a direction control, with the throttle only controling motor speed?

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Is it possible it's a direction control, with the throttle only controling motor speed?
    no clue which is why I'm asking. I wasn't sure if a really old ex-Skip or facilities tech might be lurking on here and know what it is.

I know the current design it throttle down forward, throttle back reverse. The controller design for that looks the same.

• formerly very helpful

I know nothing about this, and I'm only speculating. Could it be a brake? In one position the boats go, in another position the boats are "locked" in place? Just a wacky idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast