Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are the plans for the DCA Hollywood backlot area?

I'm hoping that the area is improved. If it's not improved, I hope it's well hidden. I hope the imagineers understand that you can either show what's behind the magic (eg Universal Studios backlot), or you can create an immersive magical environment (eg Main Street USA) but you shouldn't try to do both at the same time. One destroys the other.

-Smee

• Sock Puppet

Re: What are the plans for the DCA Hollywood backlot area?

maybe this will help u
    Hollywood Pictures Backlot

• Dream in wonderful color!

The backlot name is no more, it is now officially called Hollywood Land. A future retheme is very likely to happen in the near future. With the addition of the trolley tracks and the recent exterior remodel of the Disney Theater , they are slowly making the transition from backlot to real Hollywood in the 30s.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Under that tree again!

Interestingly enough this spring there will be some refurbs in the back lot. I don't know the details of what will happen but it could be retheming in preparation for it becoming Hollywood land this Summer.

Now – March 2, 2012: The Max Factor building façade in Hollywood Pictures Backlot will be refurbished.
    • Now – March 9, 2012: Animation Academy will be partially down due to refurbishment.
    March 12 – April 13, 2012: The Monsters, Inc.: Mike & Sulley to the Rescue! building will be under refurbishment but the attraction will remain open.

• Insomniac

^^Source please!
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    ^^Source please!
    Ketchup or Mayo?

I hope nonob88 is correct. I'd much rather see an immersive environment of Hollywood in the 30's than a Hollywood backlot. The false front buildings of a backlot might show what's behind the magic of movies and it might be easy to construct, but I find it uninteresting and cheap looking. The DCA remake is supposed to get away from the mistakes of "doing things on the cheap".

The Hollywood area needs to be priority #1 for Disney after the current round of DCA expansion and refurbishment. I expect Disneyland to get the next "big thing".......but the next E-ticket in DCA should be in Hollywoodland.......I think we'll see a big new attraction there in 2015.

• All-American

Rumors are that the Animation Academy will be receiving a new exterior facade sooner than later (I think part of the newest Al Lutz update), and the Hyperion Theater will be getting a real facade (as opposed to the mural backdrop) as well as a possible enclosed waiting area themed to a theater lobby. All of this is part of the land's gradual retheme to a "real" 1930s Hollywoodland (which was once a real term, by the way), as opposed to a backlot imitation of one.

Anything beyond that is anyone's guess at this point.

I'm expecting to see a gradual phasing out of Backlot into Hollywoodland similar to what we have seen over at Paradise Pier. As much as we all would like to see immediate improvement and possibly an addition of new attractions especially in the former Millionaire building. I don't see it happening, DCA has taken a substantial chunk of the Resort budget over the past 4 years. Disneyland's ride line up has become stale and will likely see a major new addition before DCA does in the next few years.

That being said, I really hope they are removing the Mike and Sully facade. I never was a fan of it and am somewhat interested to see how they try and tie it in to the Hollywood of yesteryear concept.

Oh, certainly - as The M said (man, that is a fun name to type) Disneyland will be in all likelihood see a shift to the limelight to - as has been theorized on these boards and by Al - combat the Lightning-Bolted Broomstick-Riding Menace. A major E-ticket is in the cards for DL, we can all hope.

Now, that being said, and back more on topic, I do firmly believe that they will continue the gradual retheme and 'plussing' in Hollywoodland after the dust settles from the relaunch and subsequent Disneyland improvement. If Lasseter is still in charge - which I believe he is - we know that he's been a stickler for these kinds of details, and the current group that is behind all this is not gonna leave a sore thumb sticking out. That being said, it will most likely be on the long-term small scale end of the... erm, scale. Kind of like what they're going to do with the gradual phasing together of Grizzly Peak and Condor Flats.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

haha thanks! Anyway haven't we been discussing the eventual phasing together of Grizzly Peak and Condor Flats for years now. I do have to agree with what 0ranos said that the DCA relaunch will play a large role in what to do with Hollywoodland. If the numbers are staggering and successful I can see them wanting to plus up and add maybe a few small attractions to help eat the crowds up in the near future. I also can see TDA going down the route of "we fixed the DCA problem" and the park can remain stagnant for the next few years. I really hope it will not be the later, as management has done a terrific job lately and DCA is finally turning into a pretty good park and a vast improvement of what it was 10 years ago.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by The M View Post
    I'm expecting to see a gradual phasing out of Backlot into Hollywoodland similar to what we have seen over at Paradise Pier. As much as we all would like to see immediate improvement and possibly an addition of new attractions especially in the former Millionaire building. I don't see it happening, DCA has taken a substantial chunk of the Resort budget over the past 4 years. Disneyland's ride line up has become stale and will likely see a major new addition before DCA does in the next few years.
    Not to be too much of a downer, but I don't think WDI has ever completed a planned phase two in its history. if there are plams to change Hollywood and they are not included in the current budget, it is very unlikely it will happen.

To complicate matters.. most of the attractions in Hollywood are pretty popular. Aladdin, Animation, Tower and Monsters can all go several more years pulling in guests and that makes it harder to justify spending money on the area.

I am also sure that most of their plans for Mad T Party involve the current setup so I doubt any plans to change Hollywood would be seriously considered until that promotion has ran its course.

I still think that the next major attraction for DCA will go into Hollywoodland, but not before 2015.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Not to be too much of a downer, but I don't think WDI has ever completed a planned phase two in its history. if there are plams to change Hollywood and they are not included in the current budget, it is very unlikely it will happen.

To complicate matters.. most of the attractions in Hollywood are pretty popular. Aladdin, Animation, Tower and Monsters can all go several more years pulling in guests and that makes it harder to justify spending money on the area.

I am also sure that most of their plans for Mad T Party involve the current setup so I doubt any plans to change Hollywood would be seriously considered until that promotion has ran its course.
    But they've also never completely re-themed a park before. They also haven't had a creative with as much influence as Mr. Lasseter since Walt was alive. The reality is that when a new park is a success, they tend to add more attractions to increase capacity. In this case, DCA is basically a new park and it will need more capacity in coming years. I have little doubt that the best use of future dollars at DLR is still going to be improving DCA not DL and not a third gate for a long time. This means that the big money will go to DCA and as they have a chance to add new attractions, they will go back and fix as much of the theme of its adjacent area as possible. I think they'd still be smart to call whatever work they do phase 2, as it would be a good marketing tool to keep the fans involved with the progress of the park.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast