View Poll Results: What should be done with tuck and roll's buggies and Francis' boog in "a bug's land?"

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave the rides even though there's better versions of the ride right next door in Cars Land.

24 43.64%
  • Take out the rides and make it dining, shopping, or an extended Hemlichs ride with better theming.

31 56.36%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• formerly very helpful

Re: Copies of ride's right next door at DCA.

It's not about NOT having something for the little kids to enjoy. But speaking for myself, I'd like to see more creativity in the kid-friendly attractions, and not just a collection of rides that go in a circle in different ways. I recognize that ABL is often crowded, but I think that's more due to fewer attractions in DCA in general. If there were more rides of a more creative type which catered to young children as well as other ages, I don't think ABL would be as popular, or missed if it was gone.
    Just my take on it.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    It's not about NOT having something for the little kids to enjoy. But speaking for myself, I'd like to see more creativity in the kid-friendly attractions, and not just a collection of rides that go in a circle in different ways. I recognize that ABL is often crowded, but I think that's more due to fewer attractions in DCA in general. If there were more rides of a more creative type which catered to young children as well as other ages, I don't think ABL would be as popular, or missed if it was gone.
    Just my take on it.
    I really have to agree
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Senior Minion

I agree as well, Bugs Land should go in the long term. It does nothing to support the park's theme and the park will eventually have enough other rides for young kids. We've already got TLM, TSMM and Monster's with no height limits plus Disney Jr. and Turtle Talk. If they add couple more rides in other lands there will be enough for small kids for it not to be needed. There is a ton of space to work with to add a nice sized land in BL and the remaining old parking lot. Or there could be space made for three or four major attractions for CL and/or HL.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion of Chernabog

When I first saw Bugs Land, the first thing I noticed was that I could see part of the berm wall. There was some plant matter about a foot thick, but you could clearly see the wall behind it. Stuff like that is why I don't like that area.

Just because it's a kiddy area (or a thrill ride, or any other type of ride) does not justify a lower quality. That seems to have been the thinking behind a lot of DCA. "Well, it's a THRILL RIDE! Of course it's not that well themed, but look how FAST it goes. And we even have a LOOP!"

If Disney simply says "well, it's a kiddy area, we don't have to theme it that well, it's just for kids" they're no better than Mall of America's Nickelodeon Universe.
    The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing - Walt Disney

Shut up and get to work - Me

• Circle of Ancients

I'm ALL for making Heimlich's better. I'm not ashamed to admit that I love that ride, and I'd LOVE to see it brought to it's full potential.

I'd love to see it be part of a much longer Bugs Life dark ride that could easily be built backstage right there.

• the rum is always gone

Option C. Eliminate a Bugs Land alltogether and replace with a new non Pixar land.

• Not on the Jedi Council

I'm not desperate to get rid of em, and once BVS is open I will once again mostly forget they are there. I just always saw that area as the opposite of the "rides for all ages" concept that Walt had in mind when he opened the place across the street, kiddified in ways Fantasyland never was, but Toontown mostly is.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Using the OP's definition of copies, Disneyland alone suffers from many copies of rides. Pirates and Small World are copies of each other and for that fact Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Big Thunder and Gadgets are all copies and they spill over into DCA with Screamin' and Goofy's Sky School. Haunted Mansion and Mermaid are both copies of the former Adventures through Inner Space.

OK, so they aren't copies they just use the same or similar ride mechanisms. What makes the ride unique is theme. I wouldn't ride Pirates and say that I didn't need to ride Small World because I had already been there and done that. Now if you don't like the ride delivery system then you might night want to ride the other, but that is an entirely different situation.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ View Post
    Using the OP's definition of copies, Disneyland alone suffers from many copies of rides. Pirates and Small World are copies of each other and for that fact Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Big Thunder and Gadgets are all copies and they spill over into DCA with Screamin' and Goofy's Sky School. Haunted Mansion and Mermaid are both copies of the former Adventures through Inner Space.

OK, so they aren't copies they just use the same or similar ride mechanisms. What makes the ride unique is theme. I wouldn't ride Pirates and say that I didn't need to ride Small World because I had already been there and done that. Now if you don't like the ride delivery system then you might night want to ride the other, but that is an entirely different situation.
    But with the two rides in question, the ride mechanism IS the experience whereas the rides you listed above all rely on theming to make themselves unique (except the rollercoasters but you can never have to many of those!). In Small World, I'm immersed in a message of world peace, in Pirates I'm immersed in the Caribbean pirate legends. In Francis Boogie, I'm whirling around in a tent whereas in Maters I'll be whirling around in a junkyard....they're essentially the same ride with the same purpose

Well, there are certainly two sides to the issue. On the one hand, a bugs land isn't a 'bad' land. Honestly, compared to some other locations in DCA 1.0, ABL honestly had some of the better immersion in the park, not counting the berm wall which is only visible from one section of the land. The rides are fun in the same way that a good amount of the PP rides are - and Heimlich's is honestly pretty cool. It fills a need that holds weight - that there WEREN'T enough rides for small children.

On the other hand, the other argument is not a bad one. Namely: that ABL could be 'better'. "It's not about NOT having rides for kids," as a previous poster said - it's simply that ABL is not exactly the pinnacle of Disney attractions. In a park that is rather alarmingly quickly running out of space to put things according to Google Earth, ABL is prime real-estate that could be used to much greater potential than it currently makes use of. If combined with the rest of the parking lot space, it could reach even greater heights.

Personally, I believe that a bugs land was honestly a pretty cool thing - when it was built. As stated, it did fill a vital need accurately. In addition, the theming isn't really that bad. It doesn't really fit in with the whole 'California' thing - arguably - but then again - and once more, arguably - neither does Cars Land to an extent. I do feel that now, with a much better and more well-rounded park, give it a year or two. See if a bugs land retains its demand once the major Expansion is over, and THEN see what can be done with the space. Perhaps it would best be served by bulldozing the bugs, but then again, perhaps not.

Anyway, TLDR: 'Enh. It's not so bad. Could be better.'
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• -

Quote Originally Posted by notlemc View Post
    Option C. Eliminate a Bugs Land alltogether and replace with a new non Pixar land.
    Like one based on Marvel maybe.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I dont like a Bugs land thematically for DCA but I suppose I never thought about it being the equivalent of Toon Town in DCA, I can see why its actually a pretty good area for the park, just wish it had a different theme

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Ya they should rip out that Fantasyland abomination while they're at it, too. Who needs a bunch of kiddie rides, right?
    I think I was a little unclear earlier. Fantasyland differs from a bug's land in two ways:

First, a majority of the rides in a bug's land are soley for kids. While dark rides in Fantasyland appeal to most, these do not. I'm not against having some of those type rides in a park (Dumbo and Teacups are good examples) but a land soley with carnival rides lacks a certain appeal. "Oh", you say... "but the theming is incredible!".

Second: Yes it is, but this brings me to my second point. It's sort of the same reason no one wants to see an Avatarland in Disneyland. It's not theme appropriate. In the long term if Imagineers were serious about the new California theme this land would be gone. Keep the ride mechanisms and add a larger more family friendly (not kid friendly) ride and with an appropriate re-theme you'd have a solid land.

Overall a bug's land, like Toy Story land in Hong Kong, just doesn't fit.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I voted to leave them as they are. My grands love to go on all the rides and they don't care if there is a similar one right next door. To them, each ride is different and they want to go on all of them.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    First, a majority of the rides in a bug's land are soley for kids. While dark rides in Fantasyland appeal to most, these do not.
    Actually I was going on, and enjoying, the bug rides long before having kids. They definitely do not appeal only to children.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    It's not theme appropriate. In the long term if Imagineers were serious about the new California theme this land would be gone.
    Because there are no insects in California, right?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast