Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Proposing to boyfriend at Disneyland...Help

Ok so I have been planning to propose to my bf of three years. We love each other very much and I don't know if he will ever propose or not so I'm taking it into my own hands. I was thinking going to the blu bayou for dinner and have friends get on the pirate ride and as they float by have signs up asking him to merry me. Now some friends say it will be great others not so much cuz its a girl proposing to a guy... And that problems will arise... So that has me doubting. I would love any suggestions with anything and opinions from the guys.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Re: Proposing to boyfriend at Disneyland...Help

This is a modern age and so anything goes! Having said that, I will be honest with you. Unless you have seriously talked it out with him and he has indicated he is ready for that commitment, you might be setting yourself up for a bit of a failure. No one, not man or woman, wants to feel they are rushed into something they are not ready for. My Husband and I knew we loved each other and the rest of our lives was were we were going. But I still waited and allowed him to do the asking, when he was comfortable in doing so.

If you do decide to follow through with it, I hope you have a wonderful, positive response and it will be something to always remember.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

I like the idea of holding up signs from the ride. haha.

• DLR Enthusiast

Cool idea Do what your heart tells you to do. No one knows your boyfriend as well as you do. There's always the risk of someone saying no or not sure whether it's a male or female doing the asking.

Like any marriage proposal, be prepared for either outcome, and handle it accordingly
    -Brian - Find me on Facebook

that's an awesome idea....I've always envisioned being proposed to either in front of the castle or by the wishing well, but I like your idea too. lol
    "Disney Crystal Power! Make-Up!"

The signs idea is awesome! But will you be able to see them from the Blue Bayou considering how dark it is? Do a test run first!!

How about holding a "Will you marry me sign" while sitting behind him at the Splash picture spot, then asking him when he views your photo? Buy that photo as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    How about holding a "Will you marry me sign" while sitting behind him at the Splash picture spot, then asking him when he views your photo? Buy that photo as well!
    I was thinking the same thing. Heck, any ride that takes photos will do.

Or, you can do it during the fireworks.

Good luck!

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

• Sock Puppet

i saw a guy propose to his woman at disneyland.. and funny thing is she was planning on doing the same thing to him! so i am sure everything will be ok! and i saw do the signs on pirates of carribean!! it's a modern world now

Timing might be a bit of a challenge, but a cute idea! I definitely say it's cool for you to do the asking. Good luck!

I like the idea of the "marry me?" sign on a ride that takes your picture.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Lost in Wonderland

Go for it! I think your idea is unique and awesome. Have you thought about having your friends put on accessories like pirates hats or eye-patches or something?

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    This is a modern age and so anything goes! Having said that, I will be honest with you. Unless you have seriously talked it out with him and he has indicated he is ready for that commitment, you might be setting yourself up for a bit of a failure. No one, not man or woman, wants to feel they are rushed into something they are not ready for. My Husband and I knew we loved each other and the rest of our lives was were we were going. But I still waited and allowed him to do the asking, when he was comfortable in doing so.

If you do decide to follow through with it, I hope you have a wonderful, positive response and it will be something to always remember.
    I kind of have to agree with this.

I'm sure you have discussed this, but guy's are VERY different than girls in this regard. When my wife and I got engaged, it was something we had talked about and even though she didn't know "when" it was going to happen, it wasn't a shock and I knew what the answer would be.

My advice, if there is ANY doubt what the answer would be, don't do it in a public place.

Also, I guess I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to this, but I wouldn't have wanted my wife to propose to me.

• Banned User

Honestly that is a very bad idea. It might make for a good commercial or scene from a TV show... but you really need a bit of a reality check here.

Marriage, if you take it seriously, is not something that you should try and force anyone else into. And whether you realize it or not, having other people present when you propose is putting pressure on the person you are asking. Would you have ever felt comfortable if you had been blindsided by a bunch of his friends? I know your first thought is to say it wouldn't matter because you want to get married... but consider a previous boyfriend you didn't feel this way about, imagine that the past boyfriend pulled this same stunt on you with a bunch of his friends... would you have been a little uncomfortable?

The unfortunately reality is that sometimes two people meet and while they both enjoy each others company, they are often at different points in their life... He may not ask you because he isn't ready to commit... if that is the case then you need to realize this. If you are at a time when you feel a need to get married and move onto the family stage, then as much as you love him... you might be better off moving on and finding someone that is ready to commit. Life is a short, don't waste time chasing things that aren't ready to be caught.

• Animator in Training!

I love the idea! I also agree this is the modern age and a girl proposing to a guy is just as cute and romantic! I don't see a problem with it at all. I you are both happy and are ready to take that next step in you're lives then go for it. Disneyland is the perfect place to do it. I proposed to my now fiance this past Nov 4th and got some help from an amazing Mice Chatter and the Dapper Dans (Thanks again!) Here's my thread if you wanted to take a look at it it has alot of good ideas and things to think about

The best day of my life! (Proposing to my girlfriend) :D (the inital post)

The Best day of my Life! (continued) I proposed and she said YES!! (TR of the proposal)

A couple of things to think about like many other suggested to me is that do you want it to be personal and intimate or do you care about having a crowd. The signs sounds like a great idea, I was going to something similiar but on Space Mountain and the use of the ride pictures. Going with what Sir Clinksalot said, guys are different. I had talked about it alot with my fiance and we even went ring shopping a little so I could find out what she liked and didn't like (also a good way to get the size right). But going ring shopping was what really hit for us both that we were ready for this.

I wish you the best of luck and a wonderful life for you and your (soon to be) future husband. Also try and get the just engaged pins! There really hard to find we got ours at the store acrosse from Splash Mountain exit.

P.S. My mom proposed to my dad when they got engaged
    also make a trip report we all want to hear what happens!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."-Walt Disney

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Here's a guy's perspective. If I were proposed to by my girlfriend in a public place like Disneyland, it would be awkward because it is generally the male who initiates this tradition. If you still want to go through with the idea, I recommend doing it in a much more remote area so that he doesn't have any regrets. I just can't help thinking that he would be secretly wishing that he would have proposed to you first, and putting this on display in front of thousands would make it worse. If I was a women, this strategy would be my last resort if I knew he wouldn't ever ask because of shyness and I wouldn't make it a spectacle.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 02-10-2012 at 04:43 PM.

• Minion

I have to agree with some MiceChatters here that it may be the wrong thing to do to propose in public when you aren't sure of the answer. The only advice I can give beyond really evaluating your decision is to think about timing of everything. If you ask in the early morning and he says no, it may make for a very awkward visit to Disneyland...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast