Grad Night 2012-- any ideas for chaperons??

Just found out that I am chaperoning Grad Night. This is our schools first grad night at DLR. We are getting to the park in the morning on June 1 and going all day to both parks until Grad Night starts at some point. Then we do Grad Night until 3am and bus it back home.

Does anyone know what there will be for us chaperons during the official grad night? Because I am for sure not going to try and go on rides. I was thinking I would just shop and save some quieter attractions like Lincoln (nothing but kids who want to make out in there right?). Maybe I'll go back to the bus and sleep.

Thoughts?
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• Minion

Re: Grad Night 2012-- any ideas for chaperons??

Chaperoning Grad Night... hmmm, I suggest Valium.
    Crazy Works For Me!

someone once told me that there were chaperon only area. But I can't find any info on it. Someone must know...if I can't find the answer on Micechat there must be no answer.

• happiest bride on earth

My dad has chaperoned grad night several times. There is a chaperons-only area; I believe it's in the Mr. Lincoln show area, but I can't quite recall. They also had a Disney artist there, and he was able to get one drawing for free every time! He got me and my sisters each a drawing: mine is Sebastian conducting, and it's hanging up in my living room! I'm not if sure they do that still or not. They get to go on the rides too, but I guess if you're not interested, it doesn't matter. I'm not sure how well-behaved the students at your school are, but I can almost guarantee that you'll be called about something at some point in the night. If you're really interested, I could try and ask my dad and find out some more info and send you a PM.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy."

"There is really no secret about our approach. We keep moving forward - opening up new doors and doing new things - because we're curious. And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. We're always exploring and experimenting. We call it 'Imagineering' - the blending of creative imagination with technical know-how."

-Walt Disney

thanks... I can't imagine that our kids would be bad (sarcasm). We have a small and select group going. I'm only really worried about a few choice characters.

I would ride the rides, I just don't want to stand in line forever with a bunch of annoying teenagers. I'd rather get my ride fix in before GN starts and shop or relax.

• Done with MC.

I've never been a part of a chaperon scene and I admit I don't have much of an idea how it works but if your going to be one, wouldn't you stay with the kids?

Seems like it would be more fun anyway!

oh no! Chaperons don't have to stay with the kids. We're talking about 18 year-olds. Trust me they don't want me anywhere near them.

• socal native

I love chaperoning for grad nite! It's the reason I am not too sad i will have to miss the leap year party since I have a 7:40 class on the 1st. I have had the pleasure of watching the sun rise over main street, and it is glorious!

There will be a chaperone only area at the Plaza Inn. There will be all night coffee and desserts. You will get a ticket for one meal. You can choose dinner or breakfast. It is the same dinner or breakfast they serve during the day. If you are with someone who doesn't mind splitting, you can have both by sharing dinner and then later share breakfast. If you get there early, you can snag a table indoors. Otherwise you will be outside, and, man, it gets cold at 3am. So bring layers. Many chaperones bring board games and cards, computers to watch movies, homework to grade, or anything else they can think of to pass the time.

The best times to hit rides are at the beginning and the end. From 12:30 to 4am, it is next to impossible to do a ride. Not all rides and attractions will be available, but the big e-tickets probably will be. Places with shows, like Lincoln and the Golden Horseshoe usually are closed, but the Tiki Room is often open with kids sleeping on the benches. A few years ago Lincoln was open to chaperones, but not to see the shows, but they showed Disney films, and had free massages and cots for napping. (The line for massages was pretty long though) In other years, Innoventions has been open for chaperones too, with similar offerings (I didn't go that year, I only heard the stories about it).

According to the rules, your group will need to have someone (I think it is actually two people) at the Plaza Inn at all times. This is where you check your school in when you arrive, and it is where they bring kids who need assistance (of all kinds). They will call school names over the loud speaker if your school needs to come to the registration table to deal with an issue. Issues could be major, like someone is being bad, or minor, as in someone has a headache and wants aspirin. Personally, I have never been called on any of the times I have been there. But lots of schools do get called. I would recommend giving a contact number to the kids so they can call you on a cell directly (registration makes you give a cell number too). It is quicker than going through the hassle of having your name called over the speakers and then not hearing it.

It is a long night, but can be lots of fun. It is often crowded, and some of the kids do act badly, but most are pretty well behaved. One great experience we had was on POTC. Some kids in the front of the boat were being goofballs, and out a dark corner came a CM with a flashlight who told them to knock it off. They were good for the rest of the ride. Made my night! I would recommend staying away from the "dance clubs" (unless you enjoy watching hormonal teens dancing). The music is loud and they do some of the inappropriate moves we are breaking up at school dances, but Disney does regulate it pretty well to try to keep it from getting too dirty.

Have a good time!