Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Studio Ghibli movies are perfect for Fantasy Land!

I have not heard any mention of Studio Ghibli on these forums in regards to presence in the parks. I think it would be great to have a Totoro character walking around.

What would you want to see?
    1. A totoro Dark ride.
    2. A Totoro cat bus fast dark ride.
    3. A world of Ghibli dark ride?
    4. A Walk through adventure?
    5. Ponyo water based ride?
    6. Any other ideas?
    7. Spirited away scary ride?

They are popular worldwide and really fun movies anyone have any opinions, or has anyone ever heard any rumors about Studio Ghibli in the parks?
    thanks
    Cedar

---------- Post added 02-11-2012 at 05:14 PM ----------

Or even a Ghibli land. Maybe it would work better in TDS. What do you think?

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Studio Ghibli movies are perfect for Fantasy Land!

no thank you
    Maybe a third or fourth gate
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Hooterville, USA

Who?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by bespinally View Post
    I have not heard any mention of Studio Ghibli on these forums in regards to presence in the parks. I think it would be great to have a Totoro character walking around.

What would you want to see?
    1. A totoro Dark ride.
    2. A Totoro cat bus fast dark ride.
    3. A world of Ghibli dark ride?
    4. A Walk through adventure?
    5. Ponyo water based ride?
    6. Any other ideas?
    7. Spirited away scary ride?

They are popular worldwide and really fun movies anyone have any opinions, or has anyone ever heard any rumors about Studio Ghibli in the parks?
    thanks
    Cedar

---------- Post added 02-11-2012 at 05:14 PM ----------

Or even a Ghibli land. Maybe it would work better in TDS. What do you think?
    While Disney/Pixar does the American distribution for Ghibli they do not own the rights to attractions. I have always got the impression that Miyazaki is not interested in theme park attractions. The closest we will probably ever get is the Ghibli Museum in Japan.

• Cunning infiltrator

Studio Ghlibi Attractions? That's unlikely to happen, since Hayao Miyazaki doesn't really want his movie characters and universe to be used for ride/attractions in a Disney theme park.

Yep, Ghibli Museum is the way to go.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

Studio Ghibli's worlds and environments are the richest in animation history, so I understand why it would stir such dreams.

But...
    Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    While Disney/Pixar does the American distribution for Ghibli they do not own the rights to attractions. I have always got the impression that Miyazaki is not interested in theme park attractions. The closest we will probably ever get is the Ghibli Museum in Japan.
    Seconded. And to add to it, the Ghibli museum is an intensely personal place. Miyazaki pored over its details with the same attention that he did his films. It is also very exclusive. Numbers in are extremely limited, reservations must be made, are strictly enforced and are available in only a few places worldwide. You must take public transportation to get there, you must walk into a heavily wooded area to reach it. Going to it is a adventure and a major event, and Miyazaki purposefully designed it that way. Heck, the ticket they give you is its own souvenir, an actual celluloid frame from one of his films. I don't think he would ever compromise that for the facile Disney parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Who?
    Seek out Miyazaki's works and prepare to have your mind blown.

Fountain Valley, California, United States

I would love to see something from Princess Mononoke, and see a real life Howls moving castle, but it will never happen.....

I've joked that if Disney is putting Pixar rides in the parks then they might as well put Ghibli ones as well. But joking aside, it would be cool if such a thing existed (riding on a catbus and traveling across a simulation of the Japanese countryside?) but the nature of Studio Ghibli's whole creative output is better suited to something like the Studio Ghibli Museum, if not the Japanese countryside itself. Next time I go to Japan, I would like to walk through the Tama suburbs to find the sites shown in Whisper of the Heart.

The Ghibli Museum and Disneyland do have much in common in terms of detail, innovative design, educational content, and a sense of discovery. A ride wouldn't necessarily be inappropriate. But as was pointed out before, Hayao Miyazaki made some very specific choices when he designed the museum. He probably could have made a theme park, but chose not to. He chose to make a venue specifically for the celebration of the arts secluded away in a semi-natural park.

I think that the best way to honour the messages of Ghibli's films is by actualizing them in your own life: following your passions while conducting yourself with moral strength, pursuing and appreciating the creative endeavours of yourself and others, and enjoying and protecting the natural world.

Love Miyazaki, but would prefer to see a Mario Bros. ride.

• Minion

^Whaa

• keh!

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Who?
    what?!..... WHAT?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo
    Love Miyazaki, but would prefer to see a Mario Bros. ride.
    what?!..... WHAT?!?!?

there is already a ghibli museum in japan and has nothing to do with disney. I love the films and they are gorgeous so i wouldnt mind some ghibli love in parks, but i dont think they are mainstream enough in the USA.

I have no idea what Studio Ghibbli is, and I don't know anyone who does. It may be popular in Japan, but there isn't a mainstream American audience who can easily recognize whatever they produce. It's that way with most Japanese cartoons.

In addition to the sentiments of others that Miyazaki has always preferred a much more 'personal' expression of his movies in public space, there's also the fact that these films are simply not as well known in the US.

Now, if we were talking about a third gate in Japan - or an unassociated park built by a SWAT team of Imagineers and Ghibli personnel, then that would be different. If you allowed complete collaboration between the two creative groups, and Disney footed the bill, and somehow convinced Miyazaki that a larger theme park would be a great way to get his message out and keep it alive for millions for generations to come, then I would say this is a great idea.

There are 9 Miyazaki films. If a selection of them - say, 5 at opening, were adapted and made real with as much care and effort as DisneySea, and with new technologies pioneered, and with Miyazaki's unending message of love for the planet and the understanding between children as a unifying theme throughout - then once again, I would say this is a great idea.

Jamming the works of the modern Walt Disney into a small area of the latter's park won't cut it. If Walt could have his park, Miyazaki needs his. It just needs to be done right, with Disney accepting a lesser role, and largely simply footing the bill.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Speaking of this studio. This month they have that new film "The Secret world of Arrietty". According to IMDb, it's 2010 (but just now coming out this Feb?).
    Anyway,
    is it just me or is this just a new version of the 80's cartoon (I guess from a children's novel from 1967) "The Little's"? I saw the preview and at first I thought "The Little's" were coming to the theaters.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast