How Does The Pin Trading Work??

Hey guys, first off- I do know there is a Pin-Trading thread, but this one seems to get a bit more traffic.

My boyfriend wants to start the pin trading thing, but we have no idea how it works.

If someone could give me a synopsis on how it works, where the best places to buy them are, & how cast members are involved, it would be fantastic.

I think I have an idea of how it goes... But there's a strong chance I could be totally wrong. lol.

Thanks everyone!
    Feel free to add me or message me here on Mice Chat!

"So come with me, where dreams are born, and time is never planned.
    Just think of happy things, and your heart will fly on wings, forever, in Never Never Land."

Re: How Does The Pin Trading Work??

Hi, I am fairly new to pin trading (about a year into it), but my wife and I are totally addicted. Here are some good pointers:

Trading: You can trade pins with any cast member, up to two per person. You can offer them any pin you want to, and select any pin they have. They HAVE to trade with you (unlike trading with other guests). The pin has to be authentic, meaning it has to have the Disney trading logo on the back.

Buying pins: If you buy the pins at the park, you're going to be spending a LOT of money on them. You can buy them for pretty cheap on eBay, but you stand a very good risk of getting 'scrappers' or straight up counterfeit pins. If you do go the eBay route, ask yourself... how is this person able to sell 100 pins for $55, when disney sells pins for $30 for 7? They're probably not real. Although you can still trade them, because they have also counterfeited the trading logo on the back, it isn't right. I've bought these lots on eBay and traded them away before I figured out that fakes existed. Sometimes when you trade with a cast member, you'll receive a counterfeit pin, and it's easy to tell because it will be lighter, the colors won't be quite right, there will be 'dimples' in the surface of the pin, etc. BUT it's really all about fun. I have man pins that I know are counterfeits, but I keep them because I like the design. If you like a pin, trade for it. In the end, it's just a colored piece of metal, and it's value is really determined by what it's worth to you.

Basically, if you choose to buy them on eBay you can look at the members feedback and see if anyone has accused them of selling fakes. I've had much better luck on craigslist, where people are simply selling their collections. They are more expensive to buy this way, but you can check them out and make sure they're authentic before buying them.

If you're the type that likes to collect 'series' or if you get one pin, you have to have ALL of the pins in a certain set, brace yourself for spending a lot of money :-). There are a lot of sets. I would recommend focusing on just one thing that you like, and try to get those types of pins. For instance, I know people who try to get Ariel pins, or Stitch pins. I collect Haunted Mansion/Nighmare Before Christmas and my wife collects Minnie pins. We still have lots of other really neat pins, but those are the ones we really look for.

In the end, it's all about having fun! If you're like me, you'll start out slow and trade 8 pins your first day, and then within a year you'll be taking week long trips to Disneyland with 400 pins ready to go! have fun!

It's pretty simple. Buy some pins, the best places in Disneyland are at Little Green Men Store Command by the exit of BLAB and There is a pin store located in Frontier Land right next to the shooting Gallery. After you hav some pins you can ask any cast member that you see wearing pins if you can look at their pins. If you see one that you like and they do not already have the pin you are going to trade them for then that pin is now yours. There are a few other rules about how many pins you can trade with a single CM, but the CMs that work in the pin stores are happy to explain everything you need to know.

•   
    • Minion

It's pretty easy to start you will need to buy a laynard which you can get at the parks. They have starter sets that come with pins as well. What my GF and I did was buy a laynard we wanted and then one of the packs they sell in the pin stores for trading. I can't stress enough how many fakes are on EBAY I would pretty much avoiding buying them from there if possible. So many fakes get traded in the parks. Some fakes are identical but most of them are just plain bad and demish the overall experience.

As far as trading with CMs you can trade them up to 2 pins per day. Any one of your pins for any one of theirs. If you want to find good ones getting to the park early is a plus or a CM who just got on shift. CMs wear laynards by choice I believe so if they have one one say hello and ask them to take a look at their pins. I try to talk to each CM a little so they don't think i am just using them I also don't like keeping them as they are working so I try to find a balance. I always find it interesting to talk to the CMs anyways so pin trading is a blast for me. There are laynards that are for children only and you will not be able to trade with those CMs. they are light green/teal. You can still look though Also in the parks you will see pin traders with their binders. These people can be a bit ummm snobbish at times but it's a great place to look at pins...More than likely you will not be able to trade with them as they are looking for Limited Edition pins more so than not. I would still go take a look at their collections and talk to them. They hang out next to the pin store in frontierland suring the day time.

you can also find a ton of information on the actual pin trading site. I have been trading for a while if you have any other questions.

Disney Parks | Disney Pin Trading | Disney

We actually enjoy keeping conversation when pin trading so don't think you're bothering any CM!

You can trade up to two pins per CM per day and there are also pin boards for pin trading in the store if no CM has any (atleast in DCA we do). The only pin store that I know of (only cause I haven't really wandered the park much) is Fly N Buy (across from soaring california). We have a wall of pins for people to buy and there is also a special right now where if you spend more than $30, you can buy a mystery pin for $2 + change... I forget the correct amount. And its for every $30, so if you spend $90 or $120, you can buy 2 or 3 mystery pins.

• Sock Puppet

Here is the thing about Pin Trading.While it is fun for most people, I found it a bit annoying because no matter HOW MUCH I paid for a pin if I traded THAT pin for another pin and I would end of getting something lessor then what my pin was andI stopped trading. If you buy the expensive pins keep those, don't trade them!!!! Specially the Limited Edition ones.. because eventually one day they become super valuable... as far as pin trading buy the less expensive ones to trade. Also get the locking pin backs and carry the tiny screw driver with you to remove the pin that you want to trade.. the locking pin backs help to not loose any important pins.. my BFF she learned the hard way after so many times I told her to use the locking backs..those flimsy black backs they come with won't always stand a chance on staying on during a run on Screamin!

The other thing about pin trading withthe traders is this.. you don't always know if they are real or not..it's what we call :”scrapers”.and u never know maybe the pin isreal.. I just got very skeptical over time of trading with thetraders because a few of my pins were not good quality...so If it wasme I would just trade with CM's..
    Last edited by Poisonedapples; 02-15-2012 at 12:17 PM.

will the pin say limitied edition on the package?

Quote Originally Posted by wonton View Post
    will the pin say limitied edition on the package?
    Yes It will. There will also be a limited edition stamp on the back of the pin that says x out of how many pins were made.

The store at the exit of BLAB has THE SAME PINS all the time! Where do you find different pins? For example, they have 3 or 4 of the same dwarfs all the time. I want the other 3 - where do you find those? Will the pin trading CMs have them?

And should I just keep buying these same pins over and over and trading them with the CM for something else? Won't the CM already have one of those pins since the stores sell THE SAME PINS?

• Minion

I find that pin trading with CMs is best in the day, before other people trade their cheap/common ones away. The CMs will have a lot of the starter/booster pack pins, especially if they work a pin kiosk or store. I prefer to trade with CMs in stores (at the register, at the door, restocking) or in front of rides.

MOJAVE - The store at the BLAB exit is referred to as the Little Green Men store, and it carries the latest Disney pins available. The newest Limited Edition pins are shown in the locked display case by the exit door. They are not on the display racks! You note the number of the LE pin that you want and buy it at the checkout counter. If you are looking for pins of all seven dwarfs, you should check on PinPics.com for availability. My experience is that only Dopey and Doc pins are available.

Before I visit DLR or WDW, I always check the official Disney Pin website, ODPT.com, to see what pins will be released immediately before or during my visit.
    Mike L
    Premier Annual Passport
    D23 Charter Member

'09 - D23 Expo, Princess & the Frog preview, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '10 - 1st Anniversary Party, Roy Disney Tribute, Pollyanna screening, Toy Story Marathon, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Dateline Disneyland 1955, Secretariat preview, Destination D, Zorro screening, Tangled preview
    '11 - Love is Magical, 2nd Anniversary Mixer, Absent Minded Professor screening, Destination D, Studio Tour, Sci-Fi Academy, D23 Expo (premier), Babes in Toyland screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '12 - Newsies screening, Journey to Marceline tour, Sister Act screening, Brave preview, Brave artists meet/greet/screening, Treasures Exhibit - Reagan Library preview, Timothy Green premiere, Destination D (diamond), Treasure Island screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
    '13 - El Capitan Peter Pan Panel & Screening, Disney Video Game Unveiling, Fanniversary, OZ preview, Son of Flubber screening, Summer Magic screening, Tiki Room 50th anniversary, D23 Expo (sorcerer), Sword in the Stone screening, Hocus Pocus screening, Frozen preview, 20,000 Leagues screening
    '14 - Pirate Fairy screening, Rebel Rendezvous, Three Musketeers screening, Destination D

•   
    • Minion

I am looking forward to the 29th to see if they release any pins!!!!

I have never bought a pin at Disneyland, but I will absolutely buy a limited edition 2/29/12 pin. That would be awesome.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Supertank View Post
    I have never bought a pin at Disneyland, but I will absolutely buy a limited edition 2/29/12 pin. That would be awesome.
    it can be addicting I started as just star wars only...then it expanded to Haunted Mansion...then Villians...Oh man it;s so much fun I am hoping they have a 2-29 LE pin