Mid-Century Modernism at Disneyland

A great piece of free software (www.stumbleupon.com) just directed me today to a terrific Web-site that may be of interest to many people who appreciate Disneyland: http://www.spaceagecity.com/googie/.

In fact, Disneyland, and some of Walt Disney Imagineering's other work, appear in several places on the site. Though, since the subject of Mid-Century Modernism was discussed in the threads regarding the Disneyland Hotel, this site is especially relevant to the future of that 50-year-old property.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Re: Mid-Century Modernism at Disneyland

Cool article. I remember when I was a kid (mid-late 1970's) thinking that the pictures around DL Tomorrowland were so "1950's looking". I especially remember thinking that everytime I passed the sign for the people mover. There was a picture of people dressed like the late 50's early 60's. (Men in suits, kids with flat tops) Anyhow, that's how I remember the sign/area.

I went to college in Santa Barbara. There was this house there near the University (In I.V. for anybody who knows the area) that was built above a car port, so it was like on stilts and had three glass walls (or mostly glass) and one "normal" wall. It was on the cliffs over looking the beach. I thought it would be so awesome to live in that house.

Now, in Salt Lake City, I can see one or two resturants that have the googie style. I always want to eat there as I drive by, just because I think it looks so cool. hehehe

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Sad Re: Mid-Century Modernism at Disneyland

The architecture of Anaheim used to be the attraction before the attraction when we visited as kids. Coming from the California central valley, we were always wowed by all the “21st century” googie buildings we saw along the way. Space Age for sure.

Of course, in California, we don't restore or preserve. We tear down every 20 years and these days put up our new stucco-sprayed styrofoam buildings. At least they'll be easy to tear down when the next “good idea” comes along.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

PragmaticIdealist, what a great article! I remember Googie all over the place as I was growing up, and being fascinated by all of the amazing shapes that dotted the roadsides.

I worked on a museum show a couple of years ago that focused on the changing American roadscape. These buildings were certainly featured.

I added that site to my Favorites. Thanks for the heads-up, and stirring the memories.

A link on the site led me to this Yahoo! Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/progresscity/.

And, another link took me to Shag's Web-site: http://www.shag.com/.

This site shows much of the 1964-65 World's Fair:

http://www.nywf64.com/fair_air01.shtml

• insufferable know-it-all

Hee hee... my, how things come full-circle!

(The owner of that website used to attend noon meets)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion FOREVER!

PragmaticIdealist: Thanks for the links! Very interesting reading for this wanna-be (almost-was) architect!

• Gay Man

Most of the images I collect from Disneyland are from this period. While I am not a collector of all things MCC, I appreciate the lines and forms and certainly remember the idealism that was present during that time period. Great links and reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240

I went to college in Santa Barbara. There was this house there near the University (In I.V. for anybody who knows the area) that was built above a car port, so it was like on stilts and had three glass walls (or mostly glass) and one "normal" wall. It was on the cliffs over looking the beach. I thought it would be so awesome to live in that house.
    I go to college in S.B., too! I am actually picturing that house in my mind right now. I agree, it would be neat to live there.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

FYI: There's a great exhibit on Googie at the Getty Museum right now.
    -Monorail Man

• All? NO, ALL!

I think Googie is a really cool kind of architecture. It is my favorite architecture. So, yes, those generic Anaheim Resort signs sicken me. Katella used to be so cool at night, but now it's pretty dull. It's sad that this kind of architecture is disappearing, but it still lives on in Tomorrowland. Tomorrowland is one of the largest examples of existing googie.

Such elements are the Disneyland Railroad station, Monorail station and the swooping Pizza Port sign (actually a reversed element of the McDonnell-Douglas logo, which became the Boeing logo when the companies merged). Later examples would be the Y-frame supports of the PeopleMover.

Some elements were even added for New Tomorrowland (and this is probably the only good thing about TL98), like the supports for the Moonliner rocket above the Coca-Cola stand.