Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Certified in everything

Frustrating Maintenance Issues

Let me first say that I'm quite understanding when it come to maintenance, Disneyland is a big place and every ride can not operate perfectly every day. HOWEVER I have become increasingly disturbed with the number of maintenance issues I have begun to spot that are simply not getting fixed. These are not things I've seen once or twice or even five times, but are effects that have been out of commission since before the summer. My short list follows, and I'm sure each of you have other things you have spotted and can add to this list:

1. Strobe after the train crash in Mr. Toad has been out for multiple months.
    2. Speed tunnel lights in Space have been out for countless months and that scene no longer makes sense.
    3. Exposed rock-work to the left of the train in Big Thunder during the final ascent is a glaring issue... at least have the decency to pull a WDW and cover it with a cloth.

Now I know these aren't Splash or Indy style issues, as those rides have larger problems and should come first, but I point to these because they are all things which are easily spotted and can be fixed overnight in minutes (at most a few hours). Instead however, they have remained in these dilapidated states for months. Disneyland should be better than this. FIX THEM PLEASE!

If anything I hope some cast member sees this thread and fixes that freaking strobe in Mr. Toad! Is that too much to ask? Heck, I'll even come down and change out the bulb myself.

Rant complete.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Frustrating Maintenance Issues

Not sure of the current state of this, but I notice it frequently does have issues with being not kept in top working order: the 'blast-up' skull in Haunted Mansion (near the tea party in the graveyard) only infrequently has the full pressure/height gain working.

Granted, not a super important show element...but how hard of a fix could this really be? It shoots up on wires presumably with some sort of pneumatic push hidden inside the coffin it rises from, not a complex infrastructure. I agree with the OP...there are a fair amount of 'small' show things inside rides which tend to go not fixed for a while which it would be nice to see get attention.

Not the end of the world or dire, by any means....but upkeep is desirable for effects both big and small.

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    1. Strobe after the train crash in Mr. Toad has been out for multiple months.
    I didn't get to ride Toad last time I was in the park (dec 2011), so sad to hear something simple as a strobe is out.
    Of the list, that is a fix over night item.
    I wonder if they even know if it's out. Are attractions ridden daily to check for things or is maintenance informed when guest make comments?
    I know when I mentioned something, it was fixed the next day (then again, it was upper management and after the HMH party as we walked out (it was an exposed extension cord...next day a black cloth was put over it))
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Armchair Imagineer

I fear that, with the expansion of California Adventure and the failed businesses within Downtown Disney, the Corporate Mouse is looking the other way when it comes to ride maintenance issues. I doubt that Disney is going back to the near-fatal policy of "operating rides to their failure point", because lives were lost and serious bodily injury resulted. Inoperable AA's and broken special effects do not impact ride safety, but they are contrary to Walt's belief that the attraction experience was never to suffer.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

The level of upkeep has been far improved over the last few years.

They have announced several initiatives to spruce up the resort in time for DCA's launch on top of that. Add that to the list of big renovations that the resort has seen lately and I don't think it's true that they are relaxing standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

They have announced several initiatives to spruce up the resort in time for DCA's launch on top of that. Add that to the list of big renovations that the resort has seen lately and I don't think it's true that they are relaxing standards.
    Trust me I feel the same way, as overall I have been very impressed with maintenance. That's partially why I waited 6+ months to say anything about Mr. Toad. But on the other hand I assume someone rides through the ride as a part of their overnight duties and I just don't want ignoring something like this over and over again to become a habit.

In the true spirit of Disneyland I don't think an effect so simple to fix should be broken for so long.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

The overhead light fixtures just as you go inside Astroblasters always have more dust on/in them than the lobby at the Tower of Terror. That has bugged me for at least a couple of years. How hard is it to dust?

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by 257 Mouse View Post
    The overhead light fixtures just as you go inside Astroblasters always have more dust on/in them than the lobby at the Tower of Terror. That has bugged me for at least a couple of years. How hard is it to dust?
    Maybe someone is confused and is reading the cleaning manual for the Haunted Mansion vs. BLAB
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Speed tunnel lights in space? You mean the bluish ones after the first lifthill? They were working last I was there in January.

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

I agree. Multiple effects, props, ect that had been off for years (Condor Flats sign anyone?) have recently been either fixed or turned back on. Is it up to the standard it once was? Idk I haven't been alive long enough so personally this is the best maintanance (with the exception of right before the 50th) I have ever seen. After going to WDW recently I have a new found appreciation for DLR's maintanance team (WDW isn't near as bad as everyone says it is though IMO).
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    After going to WDW recently I have a new found appreciation for DLR's maintanance team (WDW isn't near as bad as everyone says it is though IMO).
    After going in Oct, I too didn't see it as bad as it is was made to seem. Don't get me wrong, I did see some areas that did need help, but I expected worse.
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 02-19-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

I've found that sometimes effects are changed and people things the ones that were replaced are "broken".

If anything though that just shows how important the details are. Every detail is noticed and appreciated by someone.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland55 View Post
    Speed tunnel lights in space? You mean the bluish ones after the first lifthill? They were working last I was there in January.
    Upwards of half of them were burnt out my last visit a few weeks ago. When so many are out the effect is lost and you get more of a "strobe" type effect.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

• Observer

i know on larger attractions cm's will go on a ride through to do a "Show Check" but when it comes to The Classics in fantasyland i dont think they have enough spare time for a cm's at the attraction to do a ride through... i know they do a walk through but i believe its with the show conditions off...

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by PozEmerald View Post
    i know they do a walk through but i believe its with the show conditions off...
    I'd imagine the only CM's do a walk through is to make sure the ride is clean (trash etc) and that nothing (or people hiding) is left behind (ie: personal property)....again, just what I always imagined why (and certain stories I've read).
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast