Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

about a 2 1/2 hour plane ride away from the happiest place on earth

Question reviews on the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

Hello All,

My husband, my cousin, and I will be in Disneyland between June 18 and the 23rd. We are pretty famililar with the park, but I am looking for new stuff for us to try. None of us have ever ate at the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ and I was wonder if anyone had any reviews. Is it worth trying? We have also never ate at the Golden Horseshoe before. We love Disneyland and we can't wait to get there! We are staying at the Disneyland Hotel and we won't have a car, so we are pretty much limited to the food in the parks and downtown disney. Any tips or reviews would be greatly appreciated.

• Still Dizzy

Re: reviews on the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

The Golden Horseshoe is one of my favorite places to eat. Grabbing a sourdough bowl of chili to split with the BF, sitting up in the balcony and watching the Billy Hill show is simply bliss. I would definitely recommend it!

Corn Dogs are always a great lunch. Inexpensive (for disney), filling and delicious, it's my family's go to in the park. We also recently went to the denny's across the street and had a really nice lunch for really cheap.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Yeah, the golden horseshoe is a great atmosphere to eat and and the food is pretty good and very affordable. Make sure on of you scopes out a table before hand. I liked the BTR BBQ but it was a bit pricey.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The BBQ...bit expensive, decent food, nothing to write home about.

The ambiance and food at Golden Horseshoe are nice, but be prepared for cramped conditions if all tables are filled and loudness.

If seeking for more leisurely/table service dining for lunch or dinner inside Disneyland, I always recommend Cafe Orleans. Good menu choices there and good views of New Orleans Square/ambiance music.

• RCMC: Java Junkie

I've eaten at the BTR bbq a couple of times. The food is decent, it is pricey at $20 each, NOT including drinks. But it is an all-you-can eat. So probably the reason for the pricing. If you know you will be quite hungry and can eat quite a bit, then I would say it's worth giving it a try.

about a 2 1/2 hour plane ride away from the happiest place on earth

Thanks for the feedback, My husband and I have been to the Cafe Orleans once. I had the ratatouille in honor of the movie and loved it. I want to go back there to try the monte cristo sandwich. I am thinking that we might have to give the golden horseshoe a try. Is it all just come and go eating?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Yes, the Golden Horseshoe system is in essence (as far as ordering goes) the same system as a McDonald's: approach the counter, place your order, and they call your number for you to get it when complete. You can also bring food over from the Stage Door, right outside, if opt for the corn dog available there...pretty sure both sell the same chicken strips.

• Ludicrous speed! Go!

I have to say if there is something I would recommend, it would be the La Special de Monte Cristo sandwich with Blue Bayou potatoes. It easly feeds two. I once ate one all by myself and went into a food coma... it was awesome.

The bbq was good, but we didn't feel it was worth $20 bucks a head. I'm glad we tried it once, but will probably never go back. We also ate at cafe orleans which was very good. My mom and brother shared the monte cristo sandwich and I had a salad. We both enjoyed our meal and plan to eat there again when we go back. I also have to say, the corndogs at disneyland are yummy!

I haven't eaten at the Big thunder Ranch BBQ in it's current incarnation, but I have eaten there for a company function. BBQ was decent.

If you're looking for BBQ on property, I recommend Taste Pilot's Grill. They have a rib combo platter for around $13.

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

• Say Cheese!

Big Thunder BBQ > Golden Horseshoe's food any time of the day and twice on Sunday.

The ribs fall off the bone. Worth every penny. I've eaten there several times.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyPhotoGuy View Post
    Big Thunder BBQ > Golden Horseshoe's food any time of the day and twice on Sunday.

The ribs fall off the bone. Worth every penny. I've eaten there several times.
    Totally agreed. I found the BBQ's food to be quite good and very filling. I always find the Golden Horseshoe to be way to fried and greasy.

• Say Cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Totally agreed. I found the BBQ's food to be quite good and very filling. I always find the Golden Horseshoe to be way too fried and greasy.
    ^This, too!

BBQ at big thunder is pretty good if it is warm outside. Dinner service is better than lunchtime. You get more food. There is a small show that happens once every hour with characters. If you know you want to eat there, call Disney dining and make reservations 60 days in advance.

• Say Cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfn View Post
    BBQ at big thunder is pretty good if it is warm outside. Dinner service is better than lunchtime. You get more food. There is a small show that happens once every hour with characters. If you know you want to eat there, call Disney dining and make reservations 60 days in advance.
    Just to counter this statement. Every time I've walked up to Big Thunder BBQ without reservations (which is every time), I've been able to get a table without waiting (peak and off peak days). Reservations are a good idea, but I don't believe you need 60 days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast