• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Was there a change to the Castle or was it just a very vivid dream of mine?

So last Sunday I noticed these short concrete columns where the front nooks are in front of the castle. As I recall, there used to be a pole banner in its place like in the photo bellow. So just imagine those gone and these concrete, almost table like pieces instead. Has anyone else seen this? Is it still like this or was its a temporary change? Or have I just lost my disney mind?

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Was there a change to the Castle or was it just a very vivid dream of mine?

All photo's from davelandweb

1955 (crazy...look at all the room)

http://davelandweb.com/castle/images/7_18_55_N08B.jpg

Oct 2006 (again Davelandweb)

http://davelandweb.com/disneyland/im...6_DSC_2578.jpg

what would we do without davelandweb.
    Love his photos.
    Last edited by dland_lover; 02-23-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Removed hotlinked photos, per MiceChat policy
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

I noticed it too a while back. It wasn't there before.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

They must have disappeared some time after the New Year.

Thank goodness for MasterGracey taking thousands of photos!!!! both photos below are his.

01-01-12 - Dateline Disneyland on Smugmug

01-21-12 - Dateline Disneyland on Smugmug
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

OMG, they are real! what is their purpose? I find it blocks the view of people sitting down in the nook. what am I missing here?

• Insomniac

I guess they could help give you a place to rest your camera if you wanted to set up a timer on your camera? Or maybe for helping you steady yourself for pictures? I really have no idea that is really odd.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

This is just a complete guess, but just based on my own visual response to the change (which I have not yet seen in person), I think it may be intended to further continue the illusion of forced perspective that makes the castle appear bigger as you approach it from Main Street.

Just from those pictures, the flags might distract a bit from the height of the castle, while the smaller columns draw your attention up to the entrance.

Or maybe that's completely ridiculous. Haha.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Very interesting. I wonder how permanent are they or are they just anchored in the holes where the poles belong. Maybe they are for some type of show effect (past, present or future.) The columns make no sense though as you said. So if they don't have a purpose then it's just bad show IMO.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Minion

I have the answer:

They are very well themed temporary covers that they are using while the poles are being refurbished instead of the ordinary blue boxes that they usually use. Today the front poles were back and the pillars were where the middle poles should be. The newly refurbished poles are now black instead of the 50th Anniversary gold.

I will have pictures when they upload.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Nice work Ron!

Quote Originally Posted by dansunsomeil View Post
    This is just a complete guess, but just based on my own visual response to the change (which I have not yet seen in person), I think it may be intended to further continue the illusion of forced perspective that makes the castle appear bigger as you approach it from Main Street.

Just from those pictures, the flags might distract a bit from the height of the castle, while the smaller columns draw your attention up to the entrance.

Or maybe that's completely ridiculous. Haha.
    Welcome to Micechat dansunsomeil!

Quote Originally Posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
    Welcome to Micechat dansunsomeil!
    Thank you!

• Minion

Before (one of the rear poles):

IMG_6235 by socal_ron, on Flickr

During ( one of the middle spots):

IMG_6234 by socal_ron, on Flickr

After (one of the front poles):

IMG_6233 by socal_ron, on Flickr

---------- Post added 02-26-2012 at 07:35 AM ----------

IMG_6232 by socal_ron, on Flickr

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

I hope that this isn't a sign that they are going to get rid of the golden accents that were added to the castle for the 50th.
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter