The Fate Of The Tomorrowland World Clock

Here’s a question I consider a toughie.
    I have early Disney memories of the round buckets of the skyway and a few other things like that, but I have no particular memory of the World Clock at the entrance to Tomorrowland. I’ve seen a good deal of film and many photographs of the thing due to the Internet, but I was wondering: what ever happened to it after the 1967 remodel? I know a lot of stuff got trashed, but who takes a wrecking ball to a complicated and unique working tower clock that could be moved and saved or even sold for good money? I would think that its value as a timepiece would be far greater than its scrap value, even in the days when most people had little interest in iconic Disney treasures. Anyone know for sure what happened to this thing?
    Last edited by 257 Mouse; 02-25-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: typo

Re: The Fate Of The Tomorrowland World Clock

I think it would look really cool if they would put it where the astro orbitor is, surrounded by a planter. That is if they still have it.

• Tokyo Disney Sea Cast

I think they should put the clock somewhere and serve it as a resting place, benches surrounding the clock would be perfect for me
    Tokyo Disneyland Crew!

Currently working at:: Journey to the Center of the Earth!

• Minion

I don't understand why this was taken out at all. I can't imagine it taking up so much space that it had to be removed entirely. Heck, the idea of a World Clock would go perfectly at it's a small world, and there's tons of space in that area. As long as the clock doesn't get in the way of the parade route, I don't see why it can't go there.

• Lightspeed to Endor!

There are photos in existence somewhere online showing the "Clock of the World" being towed backstage, having been ripped from its base in Tomorrowland. The bottom portion is ragged as though it had been torn out like an old molar.

It was likely taken apart further from there. Disneyland in the past didn't save much of its pieces, once an attraction had run its course, it was time to take it all apart. The atommobiles for example from Adventures Thru Inner Space were sent straight to a landfill.

• Minion

It's must be at W.D.I setting some were in storgre

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peabody:1056713153
    I think it would look really cool if they would put it where the astro orbitor is, surrounded by a planter. That is if they still have it.
    Were the astro orbbiter was is the intena for radio Disney so think it fit up thir
    I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]http://www.youtube.com/user/matt4mickey123?feature=mhum#p/u[/U- Mattșoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șo[disneyland repctive of the wedsday show dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr

I often wonder the same thing about many Disney artifacts that seemingly disappear. Things like the Fort Wilderness locomotives which seem to have been lost somewhere along the way...

[QUOTE=Disneyland in the past didn't save much of its pieces, once an attraction had run its course, it was time to take it all apart. The atommobiles for example from Adventures Thru Inner Space were sent straight to a landfill.[/QUOTE]

Ugh! I would have gladly taken one of those off Disney's hands! I wonder if the old It's a Small World boats met the same fate?

• MiceAge Columnist

Blog Entries

There is a photo in "E" Ticket magazine that shows the clock ripped apart at the base and tucked away backstage. It does not appear that anything was salvaged.

Sam

• All-American

Since the old Rocket Jets orbited a now-out of date NASA rocket, I think it'd be neat that if the ever Astro Orbiter were ever restored, they would circle a new, modernized World Clock. Sort of restoring two Tomorrowland icons at once, you get the idea. Here's a rendering I did years ago of this concept:

• Banned User

It should have been saved.

Name:  World Clock, House of Chemistry.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  186.0 KB

Name:  World Clock.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  138.2 KB