What are some "Must Do's" for a Disneyland first-timer?

Hey everyone!

It seems like its been forever since I posted something... I tried to control myself on the thread-starting haha.

Anyway, 18 hours until we leave the house for Disneyland! I can barely focus on anything today, I'm so excited!

As said in previous posts, it will be my boyfriend's first time at Disneyland (we currently live in Miami, & we've been to WDW but that was a complete let down...), & I was wondering if you guys had any "must dos" for him as a first timer.

Any & all comments are appreciated! & look forward to a photo-heavy trip report early next week!

xoxo Kelly
    Feel free to add me or message me here on Mice Chat!

"So come with me, where dreams are born, and time is never planned.
    Just think of happy things, and your heart will fly on wings, forever, in Never Never Land."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

Re: What are some "Must Do's" for a Disneyland first-timer?

Aside from the obvious rides like Pirates and Haunted, I would suggest watching Fantasmic. To the newcomer it might appear to be just another water show, but it really is so much more than that. It really is a must see. Even if shows aren't your thing, its still a must see. haha.. Its amazing!

• formerly very helpful

The Walt Disney Story and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Gives a nice bit of history into the park, and a great place to spend time when the crowds are their highest.

Also, be sure to point out the details on Main Street (and elsewhere) that point out directly to Walt. It was his park, after all. And while you're at it, be sure to point out Walt's appartment at the fire house.

The railroad. Another gem that's often overlooked by newbies who just want thrill rides. Remember, he can go on roller coasters anywhere. But of course, the Disneyland roller coasters aren't like roller coasters anywhere!

• Minion

If your going to DCA make sure to see world of color because it is an amazing show! In Disneyland have lunch or dinner at the hungry bear and sit by the rivers of america it is very relaxing and beautiful area! I also say the tiki room is a must such a fun attraction and gets you off your feet for a little bit in a cool environment!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Minion

Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Thunder Moountain, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, and Star Tours are in my opinion the best offerings at Disneyland Park

For shows, Fantasmic is an awesome show and if you are in for a musical comedy you should watch Billy Hill and the Hillbillies in the Golden Horseshoe

What they all said (Pirates, Big Thunder, etc.), plus you should also make time for Mickey's Toontown, particularly since they don't have anything of the sort at Florida anymore and has something more besides.

It's just too bad that the Matterhorn will be shut down or you could do that, too.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

All of the above! Fantasmic! is a no brainer, I actually enjoy it more than World of Color. In addition to everything else everyone has said, I would say some of the little things you won't want to miss out on. I'm sure they do this daily, but you can catch the Disneyland band in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle and eventually Mickey and others join in and march down Main Street. Really cool experience and I typically see it shortly after park opening, probably around 10 am or so.

The Disneyland Railroad is often overlooked as a "must do" so I would recommend that as well! And everything in Fantasyland. I'm leaving in 36 hours to head to the park so have fun and hope to see you pointing out all the little nuances to your bf!

• Minion

In any other season, I'd say the Matterhorn is a must-do but unfortunately...

If you're a sit down kind of diner, you should definitely check out Cafe Orleans and/or Blue Bayou. Consider the new Jolly Holiday Bakery and definitely get Dole Whips.

In addition to everything above, I'd also include Aladdin in DCA.

• Lurker

If you can fit it into your budget, you really ought to eat a meal at the Blue Bayou. Nothing can match it for ambiance, as it is part of the opening bayou tableaux for Pirates. If you ask really, really nicely, and are willing to wait, you can get a "water side" table and watch people ride by in their boats just before they round the corner and go down the first drop.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    Aside from the obvious rides like Pirates and Haunted, I would suggest watching Fantasmic. To the newcomer it might appear to be just another water show, but it really is so much more than that. It really is a must see. Even if shows aren't your thing, its still a must see. haha.. Its amazing!
    I also prefer ours over WDW's.

---------- Post added 02-26-2012 at 04:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    The Walt Disney Story and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Gives a nice bit of history into the park, and a great place to spend time when the crowds are their highest.
    ...The railroad. Another gem that's often overlooked by newbies who just want thrill rides.
    Yes and Yes

Eating and feeding the ducks is a nice relaxing thing to do mid way through the day.

Another little thing people bypass daily is the gift Walt gave to Lillian. The petrified tree (stump) that is in the park. It's near the Mark Twain. The Mark twain is also a must to ride.
    There are just small details in the park that are great and often over looked.
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 02-26-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Peaches and Dreams

You have to do the Tea cups, It's the most famous disneyland ride.

My rote response would be "everything"... It's pretty obvious that you're going to want to ride as many of the rides as you can, see as many of the shows as possible, and eat in as many restaurants as your budget allows. I don't need to tell you to do that.

For me, Disneyland is really about the details. It's not as big as the Magic Kingdom in WDW, and the resort as a whole is not as big as WDW as a whole. Therefore most of the enjoyment is in taking your time to really get into the atmosphere of the place. Treat Main St. like a land of its own and ride the vehicles, enjoy the Penny Arcade, watch the films in the Cinema, and so on. Spend time just hanging out in New Orleans Square, listening to jazz and taking in the scenery. Give yourself time to watch the complete Enchanted Tiki Room pre-show, and have some Dole Whips while doing it. Don't be in a rush to get through the Indiana Jones queue. Stuff like that.

If you're both really interested in Disney history, splurge on the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. I found that even though I already knew most of what they said, it was still worth it for the behind the scenes glimpses and things like that. Pop over to the Disneyland Hotel as well to take some of that in.

And be sure to go to City Hall to get your first timer badge. And politely ask the appropriate cast members for special privileges like riding in the Lilly Belle or the tender on the railroad and in the pilot house of the Mark Twain. I've heard mixed reviews but you might consider it worthwhile to splurge on special seating for Fantasmic or fireworks as well.

I just found out that my Disney-loving girlfriend has never actually been to Disneyland herself, so I'm tallying up these ideas for when I take her too ^_^

See if the Lily belle is running and take a ride in it!

it depends on where your going Disneyland or DCA if so for disneyland always catch the parades! They make your day just that much better they usually start around 2-3 and 5-6 there are 2 parades everyday! Try to meet up with all the meet and greets you can find! Its always fun to take a pictuer and cherish those moments! First thing also take a picture in front of the castle during the and also at night! There both freaking awesome moments and bring a camera of your own so you can let a CM take a picture for you! :} As for rides it depends what you like but you can do the Disney loop hehe thats what i call it once you hit the walt and mickey statue take a left and make your way to Adventure land, New Orleans, Critter Country, Frontierland, Fantasy Land, and finally Toon Town. But always use them fastpasses for your big main rides that fill up quick which are Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion, Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Star Tours if i forgot some me sorry. lol. Also the rides that have no fastpass and you should always hit up first before they get full are the in Fantasy Land usually Peter Pans Flight fills up freaking quick but its an awesome ride really cool experience. Another one is the Matterhorn,Nemo's Undersea Adventure,Rodger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin, Pirates of the Carribean i think thats about it when it comes to rides with no FP if not again sorry lol. Good tip if your trying to either ride all the rides in that day is to get a FP for a ride and do all the other small rides or rthat dont fill up as fast, aslo rides that dont have FP or small shows like Abraham Lincoln Show or Tiki Room, by the time its over you can swoop to your ride :]. For eating if your on a budget pretty much anywhere works and the food is always delicious! :] But if you like some ambience and a relaxful environment the Blue Bayou in New Orealns its pricey but its worth it. Looking for some entertainment while your eating check out the Golden Nugget in Fronierland its indoors and fills up pretty quick but if you wait for a little, you'll find a table they do shows and their shows are hilarious! For shows always catch Fantasmic they have 2 shows i think one around 9 pm and one at 10:15 pm dont quote me but you can always ask a friendly CM :]. Also if you can and your not in a hurry to do to much but just relax and enjoy your day, you should try to get a front seat for the fireworks show up 1 hour and a half early to get a front seat. Its freaking awesome! Cause the whole show is foucsed in front of the castle so you get the whole experience! If you want a interesting look at the show sit in front of Rivers of America next to New Orleans and Frontier Land, its a sweet area to watch the fireworks shoot over Mark Twains boat and Thunder Mountain! . Also for the parades if you want a nice spot i recommend Main street idk its just me but i love the feeling of being in Main Street when the parade goes just feels so cool lol and if you want id choose the later one so your not in the sun the whole time and then the floats light up! . Dont forget SHOPPING! HEY! lol :} shopping is great anytime, but its probably the best when your going home so you know you wont have to carry all those bags all day haha. Dont forgot your MICKEY/MINNIE EARS! Woot WOOT! . A cool experience doing the walkthrough the castle but when you get in Fantasy Land take a left and you will see Sleeping Beauty's Walk through, so cool you walk through the castle as they explain the story in animation. Also for meet and greets dont forget to hit up Toon Town where you can find Mickey and Minnie usually around there and take some pictures, usually Mickey is always in his house kicking back and the line in there gets pretty big but its worth it. If your going on the weekend stay until the park closes and later its a really cool expierence being at the park when no one is there and if you love taking photos best time to take pictures when its just you and the park . I know this is a lot and im sorry but i just love Dland and hope this helps. Oh yeah last final tip most important thing you can do at Dland Just have fun and nothing but fun with your loved ones! Have a great time!
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    óWalt Disney
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible"
    óWalt Disney

My DA Website: http://explicitstudios.deviantart.com/
    My Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Andrew...04249019650447