Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Sad Asthma at Disneyland exacerbated by ride fog?

So. I'm an asthmatic, and have been since I was a teenager. I'm an APer so I am at Disney on a regular basis, and up until tonight, I've never had an asthma attack at the park. I pace myself and take my medicine, and all is well. Two of my favorite rides are the Haunted Mansion and Pirates, and I go on them every time I'm at the park.

Tonight, a friend and I went on Pirates. We've noticed that it's been foggier since it was refurbed last year, but tonight the fog was exceptionally thick. We then went to the Haunted Mansion...and then we needed to go to First Aid because my lungs were on the verge of imploding. We tried to go through all the things that could have triggered the attack, and all we could come up with was the fog + the cold, muggy night.

The First Aid nurses were amazing, and made sure that I was taken care of. They allowed my friend to come back and sit with me while I was on my cot, waiting for my lungs to settle down. I was treated so well. I wrote a compliment about them (the nurses, not my lungs).

I'm flummoxed by tonight's asthma attack, though. Have any other asthmatics been having trouble with those two rides lately?

And if you're not asthmatic but you're in the know...is there any time to catch those rides when they cut the fog a little?
    Last edited by Malina; 02-27-2012 at 01:31 AM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Asthma at Disneyland exacerbated by ride fog?

There's something going around right now. It is possible that you picked up a bug instead. Especially that you'be ridden these rides before without any symptoms.

Does regular fog in the air affect your asthma? That's all Pirates fog is...it's was water being forced through nozzles at extremely high pressure to break the molecules and produce fog. There are no chemicals involved whatsoever. That is why the fog varies in intensity in the attraction. It is based on temperature and humidity in the building.

I don't have any info regarding asthma but it is funny that you mentioned Pirates being so much more foggier yesterday. I go on a regular basis also and was commenting on the dense fog. I've never seen it so thick. I thought it was pretty cool.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Lightbulb Re: Asthma at Disneyland exacerbated by ride fog?

One possible issue: If the fog is made using water with the same concentration of chlorine as the water in the rest of the attraction, that could have triggered the asthma. I doubt that this is actually the case, though. I tend to think that the fog would be created by distilled, but not chlorinated water. Does anybody have the facts on this?
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Yeah, the cold weather and fog does a doozy on asthma. Can't control the weather so I'd ask people that exited POTC so see about the fog after the cave. Hope that helps!

• Circle of Ancients

I've never had an issue with the fog and my asthma, my son either. It's possible it was just a combination of everything, but since I'm not a Dr. I can't say that it was or was not the fog. I've certainly inhaled more stage fog at concerts than at Disneyland.

I'm generally more concerned with running marathons with Asthma than riding rides at DL.

• ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I've never had an issue with the fog and my asthma, my son either. It's possible it was just a combination of everything, but since I'm not a Dr. I can't say that it was or was not the fog. I've certainly inhaled more stage fog at concerts than at Disneyland.

I'm generally more concerned with running marathons with Asthma than riding rides at DL.
    I'd expect stage fog to cause irritation more than the fog in POTC.
    (My Asthma isn't bad) I haven't had a problem w/ "fog" created by water/mist.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It's too bad your asthma isn't triggered by Innoventons or the Golden Zephyr and not POTC. Some rides are easier to pass up

• Minion

My daughter does have the occasional issue with wet fog causing an asthma attack, but it is usually when she is in a situation already making the attack imminent. The fog is thicker to breathe, and can cause havoc on the lungs.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

I recall reading on another post here, that the POTC "fog" is just Anahiem tap water forced thru misting nozzles. And going under the "fog curtain" with Blackbeard projected on it probably doesn't help, if that's what you think the cause of your attack may have been.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Some relevant information from an informed source: Ask the Allergist - Fog Machines and Asthma
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Circle of Ancients

I also want to mention, they use a LOT of stage fog at Haunt events, and I've never had an issue with those either. Obviously everybody is different, but I tend to actually inhale the haunt fog because it's so awesome!!! (Yes, I know that's not good for me)

I’m surprised to learn that artificial fog can cause so many problems.
    I don’t have any respiratory issues per se, but I always get “gassed out” with diesel fumes in the tunnels and such when I ride the Disneyland Railroad. I also find the disinfectant that Disney uses in the restrooms and other places particularly stinky and irritating to my lungs. That disinfectant smell was especially bad 18 months or so ago when the H1N1 virus was a problem. It seems as if they drenched the entire park in the stuff.
    This being said I still love riding the train, and the restrooms are amazingly clean and well maintained, but I don’t know how people with real lung problems cope with these places.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Both my grandson (age 9) and I (age Older Than Dirt) have asthma. He has it to a greater extent than I. I would normally say I "outrew" it, but that is not the case. It can still be triggered by different factors. But, neither grandboy or I have had a problem on either ride you mentioned. I can't recall anything at Disneyland triggering my problem. Grandboy also has bad allergies and that usually is more of a problem than his asthma. One Sudafed tablet and he is good to go for the day.

Hope you can figure it out. It would be a shame to have to miss either of those attractions!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast