Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

The new lockers to charge your electronics at DL

So I saw this covered in the dateline blog.. but haven't seen anyone talking about in the forums? Did I miss it?

Disney has added lockers built specifically to let you plug in your electronics (iPhone, iPod, etc) and charge them, while keeping them secure. For $2/hr you get a small locker with not just power plugs, but can get one with actual charging cords built in!

I think it this is a fantastic idea. It speaks to people's direct needs... a place to charge your device without worrying about it getting lost or stolen... it even has your charger in case you left it at home.. for what is a reasonable cost.

Hopefully the cables themselves hold up enough to not be a constant customer service issue.

I found it interesting they use a kiosk model very similar to the ones used by Universal, but unlike universal, they still have combination pads on each locker as well.

I think this is a great addition and look forward to it expanding in other areas.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Re: The new lockers to charge your electronics at DL

We used it last week and had probs. In one of the sections of lockers, you rent a locker for an hour and inside are cables for use. They say a maximum of an hour on the receipt but also tell you on the screen and inside the locker (on a sticker), that additional time will be charged if over an hour.

What they didn't tell us is if we go back to check on the charge status, that the locker will go for another 7 minutes then make itself available for rental to someone else. So after 50 minutes and seeing that the phone didnt charge much, we closed the door and left it there for another hour, belieiving we would have to pay again to open the locker. When we came back, we couldnt get into the locker. An attendant came and manually opened the locker and there was another phone in there. Luckily the owner of that phone was nearby and saw us and explained that she rented a locker and ours was assigned to her. She called for an attendant who took our phone to City Hall.

Luckily we had a good samaritan, but I could see someone else not being too honorable. City Hall gave us our phone and there were varying excuses from "the receipt says max 1 hour" to the "sticker in the locker that says you'll 'pay for additional hours' was from the old lockers" and hasn't been changed out yet (which I thought the "old lockers" were all dayers). Both the attendants did say people are complaining about it.

I think the service is a good idea, but I also think they need to do a better job of explaining the limited use and the potential to have your locker re-rented if you dont know about re-opening it before it's rental time is done.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Sounds like a simple problem to fix in labeling.

Simply put - the locker doesn't have 'in and out' privileges. That's pretty common and not a far fetched assumption. When you opened it, you ended your rental. The verbage about time simply means if you don't end your rental before the hour is up, you get charged for the extra time.

Do you open the locker from the touchscreen or the keypads?

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Banned User

It sounds like you can get your stuff stolen. There is nothing safe about the lockers. I don't even trust the lockers where you can use your own locks. You should only use them as the last resort if you must. I'm thinking of upgrading from my Droid X to a iPhone. The battery life of the Motorola's are just terrible. Phones should last the full day. Or bring an extra battery.

• Johnny and Me!

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Do you open the locker from the touchscreen or the keypads?
    The lockers are rented from the touchscreens, and a PIN is assigned. That PIN is used to re-open the lockers from their keypads. This reduces wait times at the touchscreens.

When I'm at Disneyland, I don't want my phone sitting in a locker. I want it with me. So charging while eating or in line is the most practical, though the latter might be pretty complicated.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    It sounds like you can get your stuff stolen. There is nothing safe about the lockers. I don't even trust the lockers where you can use your own locks. You should only use them as the last resort if you must. I'm thinking of upgrading from my Droid X to a iPhone. The battery life of the Motorola's are just terrible. Phones should last the full day. Or bring an extra battery.
    If you think the iPhone battery will last all day you are in for a rude awakening. It is true the Motorola battery life is poor - even with the extended batteries. The battery life on the HTC Droid models is much better. Mine lasted all day - very long days - in the park.

Why do you say the lockers are not safe and your stuff will get stolen? Please, as I use them and I am curious...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Sock Puppet

that is fantastic!! sounds very up with it, i can't tell you how many times my phone has ran out of juice from texting and sending photos and nowhere to charge it with out having to go back to the car!! so i think that price is reasonable, and i will be sure to use it!

• Future Indy Castmember

I used the charging lockers twice to try out the two options we have with them.

The lockers with the cords already for your iPhone and Android is good though in an hour, my phone got 20% charged. When I went back to rent another one after WOC, I opted for the ones that require a charger to be plugged in. My own charger got the phone 40% charged. Not sure if the android plug they provided was meant to charge all droid devices, but it works. If you have a droid, verify it's plug first before you rent the one with the iPhone and droid cords provided.

I find $2 an hour to be very reasonable. Calculating the cost per hour, you'll spend up to $6 for 3 hours depending on how long it takes for your phone to be charged with $10 for 5 hours.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Become part of MY world!

I've had my iPhone for 2 years and even tho the battery life isn't as much as it used to, I can still get an entire day(some times 2) without having to charge it.

Anyway these lockers are a great idea! I know Disney didn't like guests using outlets that were scattered about(because CMs have been told they're industrial and could short out ur phone) so this is a great solution! I know some guests would litteraly plug their phones in a store and ask the CM to look out for their phone!
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Why do you say the lockers are not safe and your stuff will get stolen? Please, as I use them and I am curious...
    Generally you do not put any valuables in lockers. Phones are quite expensive to be replaced. I use lockers plenty of time without leaving anything valuable in them. I never got anything stolen, but you can be sure that if a thief knows whats in there, they won't hesitate trying. I heard plenty of stories where lockers were robbed. And you seemed to have missed the anecdotes above.

Oh, I'm sure iPhones are not immune from having a poor battery, but they do seem to last longer than the competition.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    I used the charging lockers twice to try out the two options we have with them.

The lockers with the cords already for your iPhone and Android is good though in an hour, my phone got 20% charged. When I went back to rent another one after WOC, I opted for the ones that require a charger to be plugged in. My own charger got the phone 40% charged. Not sure if the android plug they provided was meant to charge all droid devices, but it works. If you have a droid, verify it's plug first before you rent the one with the iPhone and droid cords provided.
    Only 20% in an hour? Ouch. Did you turn the phone off before putting it in there? An hour charge and I'd expect my iphone to be fully charged if not close to it.

Your phone could have been wasting juice searching for network in the locker if you didn't turn your phone off.

The USB vs plug locker is an interesting question. The wall chargers do provide more power than a standard USB port.. but it would be interesting to know if they are using standard USB devices to provide those lockers with the USB power and hence would be power limited like a USB port is. That would make bringing a charger with AC much more valuable and effective.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Only 20% in an hour? Ouch. Did you turn the phone off before putting it in there? An hour charge and I'd expect my iphone to be fully charged if not close to it.

Your phone could have been wasting juice searching for network in the locker if you didn't turn your phone off.

The USB vs plug locker is an interesting question. The wall chargers do provide more power than a standard USB port.. but it would be interesting to know if they are using standard USB devices to provide those lockers with the USB power and hence would be power limited like a USB port is. That would make bringing a charger with AC much more valuable and effective.
    I don't usually turn my phone off before charging but my battery won't drain as much if i'm not using the phone for anything. Using my apps (Facebook and Twitter for ex) drains it faster but I can see how it can waste juice looking for a network.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    I don't usually turn my phone off before charging but my battery won't drain as much if i'm not using the phone for anything. Using my apps (Facebook and Twitter for ex) drains it faster but I can see how it can waste juice looking for a network.
    Yeah, remember you're putting your phone in a metal box! Kind of isolates it from the world which could lead to much more 'hunting' for network which is touch on the battery.

I'm surprised Disney doesn't actually recommend that in the system itself.. just so devices charge faster overall leading to less complaining after the fact.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Generally you do not put any valuables in lockers. Phones are quite expensive to be replaced. I use lockers plenty of time without leaving anything valuable in them. I never got anything stolen, but you can be sure that if a thief knows whats in there, they won't hesitate trying. I heard plenty of stories where lockers were robbed. And you seemed to have missed the anecdotes above.

Oh, I'm sure iPhones are not immune from having a poor battery, but they do seem to last longer than the competition.
    I did not miss the anecdotes above, but I also understand there are problems with the phone charging lockers rates and time limits - that is not the same as leaving valuables in a locker (not just the new problem-laden charging type) for the correct amount of time and having them stolen. I was asking for information about actual thefts/break-ins.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast