I'm surprised Disneyland isn't on this list....

Below is a link of the 2011 top places to work in Orange County. I noticed that Disney is not in this list. Disneyland is one of the larger employers in the OC area, yet didn't even crack the top 27 in the large company category.

I would think it would be a cool place to work, but then again I'm looking at it from the outside. Is it not all that it's cracked up to be? Or is this list wrong?

2011 "Best Places to Work in Orange County" - Best Places to Work in Orange County

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Re: I'm surprised Disneyland isn't on this list....

Cool place to work doesn't cover low wages when the rent comes due.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    Pretty much. Kinda hard to make it on a top employers list when you pay your workers peanuts.

It makes sense, but compensation isn't the only thing they base it on. I know because I work for one of the companies on this list, and we had to fill out a survey. They also based things on workload, management, quality of life, etc.

• My Children's Father

Compensation may not be the only thing, but if you can't earn enough to live in the OC, then you've got a nasty commute from somewhere else (probably the IE)

The other companies probably allow more than a 1/4-inch of facial hair.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

That makes sense. Compensation can still affect the other factors.

• Minion

Working at the DLR is indeed a fun and exciting job, especially if you're 16. Things that make it tough are the low wages, benefits (or lack thereof), paid vacation (or lack thereof), general rigidity in scheduling, and the occasional abusive guest, among other things. Workload can vary but most cast members work VERY hard, often in the sun and heat, which does affect quality of life. I don't know about any of the companies on the list, but often the amenities that push a business to the top of such lists offer full benefits like vision, dental, and life insurance, free or subsidized gym memberships, daycare (onsite or subsidized), 401k with good matching, workplace flexibility (working from home occasionally, for example), and hefty yearly bonuses.

Not that the DLR isn't a great place to work. I really enjoyed my time there. But it's best for young people or people who work there as a hobby, and a lot more difficult for people to work there full-time and still be able to live in OC or afford gas from the IE.

• Special Agent

FWIW: Companies have to sign up to participate (its not a comprehensive survey of all companies) and emplyees have to have email and internet access while at work. The logistics of having 30,000 people take 20-30 minutes out of thier shift to find a computer and fill out the survey would pretty much exclude Disneyland from participating.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    FWIW: Companies have to sign up to participate (its not a comprehensive survey of all companies) and emplyees have to have email and internet access while at work. The logistics of having 30,000 people take 20-30 minutes out of thier shift to find a computer and fill out the survey would pretty much exclude Disneyland from participating.
    I do agree that it's not comprehensive. At the end of the day if a company wants to be in the this they'll do what they can to make it.I'm sure all the other companies had their own logistical issues to deal with. For our company, which made this list, our participation was purely optional.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BrodyDanger View Post
    Pretty much. Kinda hard to make it on a top employers list when you pay your workers peanuts.
    Yup
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post
    I do agree that it's not comprehensive. At the end of the day if a company wants to be in the this they'll do what they can to make it.I'm sure all the other companies had their own logistical issues to deal with. For our company, which made this list, our participation was purely optional.
    Well, Disneyland really doesn't need to be on a list like that in order to attract employees, so why would they care?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    This.

My company was on that list for the last few years and when I looked at this survey it wasn't on there. Then I remembered that we never got an email with a link to the survey like we have had in years past. Perhaps it's because my company was in the process of being sold to another company this year and so for whatever reason my company chose not to participate.

Sad to say, this report is not all that surprising given the way Disney treats its employees at times (yes, at times...not always, but at times).
    X Everywhere!

http://mindbla.com (Mr X's Disney blog)
    http://upbeatrhythms.com (Mr X's Disney vids)
    http://lulzJapan.com (Mr X's Disney pics)

Where Adventure and Imagination set sail