Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A,b,c,d,e

• Minion

A,b,c,d,e

A lot of posters on this site like to speculate what kinds of attractions Disney will be getting next, or even imagine some of their own. But one thing I've always wondered about is the classification of these attractions--most posters use ticket letters to describe an attraction (RSR, for example, is being touted as a major 'E-ticket'). How can this be a description for rides when Disney doesn't use ticket books anymore? What really boggles me is when people argue over the ticket classification of an existing attraction (is Little Mermaid a D ticket or C ticket?). Well what I want to know is what the criteria is for each ticket letter...is it thrill factor? Theming? Popularity? Because considering ticket books are obsolete it all seems to be a matter of opinion to me, in which case I don't see how one can classify attractions as a certain ticket these days.

Heres a list of Disneyland rides that I would wait in line the longest for (E-tickets?) you all can put what ticket you'd assign each attraction to maybe help me understand better:

1. Indiana Jones
    2. Splash Mountain
    3. Big Thunder Mountain
    4. Pirates of the Carribbean
    5. Haunted Mansion
    6. Mr Toad
    7. Pinnochio
    8. Matterhorn
    9. Space Mountain
    10. Star Tours

1. Tower of Terror
    2. Grizzly River Run
    3. Goofys Sky School
    4. Toy Story Midway Mania
    5. Mickeys Fun Wheel
    6. California Screamin
    7. Soarin

^are these all consider E tickets?? Did I miss any?

• My Children's Father

Re: A,b,c,d,e

Mr. Toad and Pinnochio were only C's if I recall correctly.

I think Gooofy's, TSMM, and MFW would only be D's at best.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

There is no correct answer.

Haunted Mansion is an E-ticket, Space Mountain is an E-ticket. Totally different rides. Totally different answers.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    Mr. Toad and Pinnochio were only C's if I recall correctly.

I think Gooofy's, TSMM, and MFW would only be D's at best.
    How is it you came up with that?

• My Children's Father

GSS is an off-the-shelf ride with some theming, but not immersive enough to merit an E. Same with MFW. TSMM might merit an "E", but it strikes me as too repetitive.

I think the "immersive" element is key in making a ride an "E".

I'll rely on my fellow grey-haired Micechatters to verify the old DL dark rides.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    1. Indiana Jones
    2. Splash Mountain
    3. Big Thunder Mountain
    4. Pirates of the Carribbean
    5. Haunted Mansion
    6. Mr Toad
    7. Pinnochio
    8. Matterhorn
    9. Space Mountain
    10. Star Tours

1. Tower of Terror
    2. Grizzly River Run
    3. Goofys Sky School
    4. Toy Story Midway Mania
    5. Mickeys Fun Wheel
    6. California Screamin
    7. Soarin

^are these all consider E tickets?? Did I miss any?
    Mr. Toad would only be a C ticket.

Pinocchio also would only be a C ticket.

The Fun wheel would probably be a C ticket...maybe a D.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Mr. Toad would only be a C ticket.

Pinocchio also would only be a C ticket.

The Fun wheel would probably be a C ticket...maybe a D.
    So what's the determinant of this? It can't be thrill factor because then Pirates wouldn't be an E...but it must not be theming/immersion because Mr Toad and Pinocchio are at least dark rides that tell a story, unlike the Ferris Wheel--are the other Fantasyland dark rides also considered C-tickets?

• My Children's Father

So what's the determinant of this? It can't be thrill factor because then Pirates wouldn't be an E...but it must not be theming/immersion because Mr Toad and Pinocchio are at least dark rides that tell a story, unlike the Ferris Wheel--are the other Fantasyland dark rides also considered C-tickets?
    Pirates is an E due to a very high degree of immersion, higher than the F-land dark rides. For starters, you're riding in an actual boat instead of a conveyor belt. Highly detailed lifelike Audio Animatronics (as opposed to plywood cartoonish cut-outs) further immerse the rider. The sets are much more realistic on pirates. And don't discount the thrill aspect of the drops. And yes, the F-land dark rides were all C's.

• Minion

Basically its popularity. Genrelly in life, the more popular something is the more it costs. A normal sized house in Beverly Hills will cost more then most other areas, because its usually a more desirable place to live and people are willing to pay more to live there. The Haunted Mansion is usually a more desirable ride to ride then Pinocchio, thus would cost more to ride.

Alot more people ride the Haunted Mansion then Pinocchio, basically because at the bottom of it, its a better ride.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

I think it is (was, actually) a mixture of several factors, none necessarily overriding others: Cost to build, run and/or staff, length of the ride, immersion, thrills, popularity, how dominant it is (physically) in it's land, and probably others. Basically, it's a rough measurement of how much overall enjoyment the attraction would provide to a typical guest. In a literal sense, it was how much a typical guest would be willing to pay for access to the attraction.

Since they contained a limited amounts of the higher-end tickets, the ticket books also provided a way to keep the most popular rides from developing unmanageably long lines.
    Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 02-28-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Not sure how I got both immersion and emersion into the same list.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Minion

That all makes a lot of sense

Sooo would Screamin be considered an E ticket considering it was one of the flagship attractions at DCA and is very expensive/thrilling even though it's line rarely reaches more than 30 minutes and it has no theming?

• Circle of Ancients

Here you go:

The Official MiceChat Glossary

A Ticket - When Disneyland first opened in 1955 and Magic Kingdom in 1971, guests visiting Disneylandand WDW's Magic Kingdom purchased coupons (later called ticket books) to ride the attractions. To board the attraction, a guest tore out a coupon (choose from A, B, C, D, or E tickets) and handed that ticket to a ride operating CM. The higher the ticket, the more immersive the attractions were. The use of these ticket books stopped in 1981 but MiceChatters still refer to the rides by their old ticket classifications. Although these coupons were never used at parks such as TDL, DLP and HKDL, attractions at these parks are still referred to in this way. Examples of current A-ticket rides would be the Main Street Vehicles and Pooh's Thoughtful Spot (WDW)

B Ticket - See A-ticket for full explanation of the coupon/ticket system used at Disneyland and Magic Kingdom until 1981. Current B-ticket attractions at Disney parks worldwide include: Main Street Cinema, Tarzans Treehouse (DL), Swiss Family Treehouse (MK) and Alice's Curious Labyrinth (DLP)

C Ticket - See A-ticket for full explanation of the coupon/ticket system used at Disneyland and Magic Kingdom until 1981. Current C-ticket attractions at Disney parks worldwide include: Dumbo the Flying Elephant and the Fantasyland style dark rides.

D Ticket - See A-ticket for full explanation of the coupon/ticket system used at Disneyland and Magic Kingdom until 1981. Current D-ticket attractions at Disney Parks worldwide include: Autopia, Disneyland/WDW Railroad, Mark Twain/Liberty Bell steamships.

E Ticket - See A-ticket for full explanation of the coupon/ticket system used at Disneyland and Magic Kingdom until 1981. Current E-ticket attractions at Disney Parks worldwide include: Space Mountain, It's a Small World, Haunted Mansion/Phantom Manor, Star Tours and Tower of Terror

• Mrs. J. Depp

I find the classifications really interesting. Some of them make sense, and others don't. I'm glad we don't have tickets anymore.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Getting rid of the tickets has to be one of the smartest things they ever did.

This isn't some small town carnival, this is DISNEYLAND!!!!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Essentially it is all an act of educated opinion based on the attractions that were given a ticket classification. As stated, there was no single criteria, but instead many factors that likely contributed. Popularity is probably the biggest factor, as the ticket system played a large role in spreading crowds around the park and away from just bigger attractions. So while I think the other criteria would place Toy Story Midway Mania! in the D category, at least at Walt Disney World, I think there at least would have been an attempt to have the attraction set as an E ticket (I however think that the individual pricing model may have made the attraction less popular due to its existing and increasing similarities to what is available at home.)

What ticket was required was also not a set indication. A few attractions moved down a few years after opening, and the Jungle Cruise moved up with the introduction of the D and E tickets. The Enchanted Tiki Room for a time required a separate admission outside of the ticket system before becoming an E Ticket, but was a D Ticket at the Magic Kingdom.

Yesterland has a few very good pages on the ticket levels.
    The A-B-C's of Disneyland Tickets at Yesterland
    More about Disneyland Tickets at Yesterland
    Ticket Books at Yesterland

Today the criteria is still used unofficially inside the Company to give a general impression of capacity, budget and role within the park. Part of the reason that The Little Mermaid attractions have been called Ds is because that what "insiders" have reported as being the internal classification. Externally however, Disney seems to be consent to let a lot of things be viewed as an E ticket as part of building interest.

So at this point, it all boils down to educated guessing.

---------- Post added 02-27-2012 at 11:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Getting rid of the tickets has to be one of the smartest things they ever did.

This isn't some small town carnival, this is DISNEYLAND!!!!
    And yet it is an idea that comes from Six Flags of all places. It is an idea that has profoundly affected how Disneyland, the Magic Kingdom and many other theme and amusement parks are designed and operated. In many ways, the change has been so dramatic that the owners, operators and designers of parks are still trying to cope with this radical shift.
    Last edited by lazyboy97O; 02-27-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast