Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 131
  1. #16

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,870

    Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

    The magic is still there for me. I step in there today and leave all that I live behind. That's what it has always been to me. It still continues today. Is it perfect by no means but to me it's awesome. I believe like everything else in life it's what you make of it.

  2. #17

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Santa Clarita, California, United States
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

    I'd say I still have a magical attitude towards Disneyland. I've been on almost every ride and still feel that twinge of excitement as I drive up to the M&F structure. My daughter loves it. My wife also loves to be at Disneyland, and she can see much of the problems in which Disneyland suffers better than I can.
    Sorry, but I just can't agree with your view.

  3. #18

    • N/A
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    54

    Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

    Animal Kingdom is only a 'half day park' for people who are treating it like a Magic Kingdom style park. Many, many of the attractions are animal enclosures both big and small. The tendency I think for many visitors is to glance in the enclosure, find the animals and move on. I'd argue that's not how a zoo type facility is best experienced.

    Admittedly it did open with the "nahtazu" campaign but then the park is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums so we could go on a tangent and argue the "it's a zoo" point but I won't go there.

    These are living animals and to truly appreciate these 'attractions' guests have got to slow way down and observe them. Maybe that's not some people's cup of tea but that doesn't make it a half day park.

  4. #19

    • Insomniac
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Wonderful World of Utah?
    Posts
    1,968

    Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

    Quote Originally Posted by 24601 View Post
    Animal Kingdom is only a 'half day park' for people who are treating it like a Magic Kingdom style park. Many, many of the attractions are animal enclosures both big and small. The tendency I think for many visitors is to glance in the enclosure, find the animals and move on. I'd argue that's not how a zoo type facility is best experienced.

    Admittedly it did open with the "nahtazu" campaign but then the park is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums so we could go on a tangent and argue the "it's a zoo" point but I won't go there.

    These are living animals and to truly appreciate these 'attractions' guests have got to slow way down and observe them. Maybe that's not some people's cup of tea but that doesn't make it a half day park.
    Being a Disneylander I would have disagreed with this post a year ago. However, I recently spent almost an entire day at Animal Kingdom just wondering through the many trails and I came to realize just how truly magical that park is if you take the time to slow down and enjoy it. pin the 3/4 of a day at the park I only rode 3 rides, but I had one of the best days I've ever had at a Disney park. Just taking in the scenery, checking out the animals, and walking the many paths can take hours and hours! Animal Kingdom suffers from being the companion park to the magic kingdom which is all about rides and shows where animal kingdom is all about environments.

    As for the "thinning" of the magic, it's all in the eye of the beholder. To someone like me who still gets excited by "childish" things, the magic is very much alive! To someone who has to be entertained every second of everyday and spends more time at the parks complaining on the Internet about a broken effect then they do actually enjoying the fact that they are in Disneyland, it probably has lost the magic because their point of view has changed. Personally, i may not agree with decisions made by management or choices in design by WDI, but these do not stop me from enjoying the magic that I know and love.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

    https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

  5. #20

    • MC Blogger
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,058
    Blog Entries
    52

    Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

    ^^^ REALLY good perspective and something I had not considered.
    Mark

    Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

  6. #21

    • Done with MC.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bothell Wa.
    Posts
    1,961

    Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

    Yes that was a great post by Bronco21. I too have slowed down at the AK and instead of bolting from ride to show to ride, I've stopped and studied the theming of the buildings, landscape and sounds that Disney pipes into the areas. The detail is extraordinary but you have to slow down to take it all in.

  7. #22

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,359

    Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

    I think the magic has been dying for a while now...the only difference now is that Harry Potter has grabbed people's attentions and shown them now great Universal is (even outside of Harry Potter). Disney isnt adding/heavily updating attractions every year like Universal has (Orlando is getting a parade, water show, golf course, AND new simulator ride all this year!!). Disney is not pushing the technological envelope anymore (and haven't done anything innovative since Indiana Jones...where's the answer to Spiderman or Forbidden Journey?).

    That being said, even though Universal is leading the theme park industry at the moment (in terms of creativity, innovation, and effort), Disneyland isn't Rollercoaster Tycoon. You can't just click and fix whatever there is. Sure Tomorrowland may look sloppy but it certainly serves its purpose and isn't losing any money so why would Disney tamper with it when there are legitimate problems to be still fixed throughout the parks. I think lack of patience also has to do with the idea of dwindling magic.

    But in any case, it's absolutely true that Disney has fallen behind and has substituted branding for true innovation. But after exposure to Universal and Disneys shortcomings, their name will only go so far anymore...
    Last edited by TylerDurden; 02-29-2012 at 02:17 PM.

  8. #23

    • Down Pluto!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Altered State
    Posts
    4,311

    Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    But in any case, it's absolutely true that Disney has fallen behind and has substituted true innovation for branding.
    I think they have substituted branding for true innovation.







    I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

  9. #24

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,359

    Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    I think they have substituted branding for true innovation.
    Whoops haha my bad I changed it. But you get the idea

  10. #25

    • Disney Fan 4 Life
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Close to San Diego
    Posts
    725

    Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    As for the "thinning" of the magic, it's all in the eye of the beholder. To someone like me who still gets excited by "childish" things, the magic is very much alive! To someone who has to be entertained every second of everyday and spends more time at the parks complaining on the Internet about a broken effect then they do actually enjoying the fact that they are in Disneyland, it probably has lost the magic because their point of view has changed. Personally, i may not agree with decisions made by management or choices in design by WDI, but these do not stop me from enjoying the magic that I know and love.
    This is me and my family in a nutshell! Well put!
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955


    View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

  11. #26

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    283

    Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

    I still feel the magic and think I get more excited than my 3 year old, but I will say I do see a thinning of the magic. I just don't see the same quality in the experience -- I feel like they are trying to get into my wallet more than they are trying to delight and entertain.

    From a business perspective, people continue to pay more for the same thing, so why not profit and provide minimum improvements...

    I will say cast members definitely still try and provide those magic moments for the little ones, so as a parent, can you put a price on the smiles? Part of the experience is also sharing the moments you had in your childhood with your children ...

  12. #27

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,966
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

    Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Let me just throw this out there.

    With the start of the annual pass, youtube videos, and a slew of Disney message boards, DL can grow stale quickly. And with our hunger for wanting it yesterday, and the fact that we now have to be entertained 24/7, Disney can't keep up with the demand.

    There is something to be said for longing for days past, where we actually had to talk to each other via face to face, people didn't text during rides, and facebook was never invented!
    This about sums it up...........Tech is both are best friend and our biggest enemy. I feel ALWAYS being connect to people takes away much of the magic same with Disneyland...you see a new picture of every day for me anyway it makes it feel like a less magical place....that and the fact that we have not seen a Real E ticket attraction at the park in over 15 years

  13. #28

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,935

    Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

    Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    There is something to be said for longing for days past, where we actually had to talk to each other via face to face, people didn't text during rides, and facebook was never invented!
    Having grown up with the Disneyland of the 50s and 60s, I long for the days when you were rarely more than two years from a major new E-ticket attraction -- much less a major land upgrade like TL '67 or whole new land like New Orleans Square. The days when Disney was constantly striving to top itself with innovations in technology and showmanship.

    The magic has been growing thin because Disney hasn't been feeding the magic, they've been feeding their brand marketing machine.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  14. #29

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    812

    Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

    I want to have new things to experience and get excited about every so often, but not too quickly--I'm the type who prefers to savor the magic and watch it develop gradually with improvements (and sometimes a little degradation) over time. Nothing magical that is at Disneyland has diminished in magic for me, even the opening-day attractions that remain, because the ideas and feelings they inspire are timeless. There are some attractions I'd like to see replaced (mostly newer ones, actually), but there is always much to enjoy.

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I think the magic has been dying for a while now...the only difference now is that Harry Potter has grabbed people's attentions and shown them now great Universal is (even outside of Harry Potter).
    This may have some truth if this is what "magic" means to you, but from my point of view even Walt Disney himself wasn't thinking of technological innovation when he decided to put in steam-powered locomotives and horse-drawn streetcars, for example.

    I like Universal Studios fine, and I'd like it even more with newer and more innovative attractions, but for me it still doesn't have nearly the magic of an aging, relatively neglected (in terms of major new attractions) Disneyland.

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Disney isnt adding/heavily updating attractions every year like Universal has (Orlando is getting a parade, water show, golf course, AND new simulator ride all this year!!). Disney is not pushing the technological envelope anymore (and haven't done anything innovative since Indiana Jones...where's the answer to Spiderman or Forbidden Journey?).
    "Disney" is a business, and it is difficult for them to justify massive investments in the parks when the attendance they already have is about as much as the parks can handle; Universal would do the same, given the same position. Universal can do what they're doing now, for now, because they will either grow or perish; Disney, likewise, would do the same, given the same position. The only way to change Disney's course would be to stop attending their parks in droves, forcing them to invest more to build their business back up.

    The main underlying difference between Disney and Universal is that for people like me, Disney's parks are more magical, and indeed that's what Disney has been investing in lately at DCA and MK's Fantasyland. They'll innovate when the right idea comes along eventually, I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    That being said, even though Universal is leading the theme park industry at the moment (in terms of creativity, innovation, and effort), Disneyland isn't Rollercoaster Tycoon. You can't just click and fix whatever there is. Sure Tomorrowland may look sloppy but it certainly serves its purpose and isn't losing any money so why would Disney tamper with it when there are legitimate problems to be still fixed throughout the parks.
    I think that Tomorrowland is a legitimate problem, and it's also where they should innovate, if anywhere, once they figure out how to make it as magical as the rest of the park once again (starts with the right ideas and design, not technology and money).

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I think lack of patience also has to do with the idea of dwindling magic.
    And I think that lack of patience is one consequence of the information age, if you will--people have always struggled with patience, but I believe it has gotten worse.

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    But in any case, it's absolutely true that Disney has fallen behind and has substituted branding for true innovation. But after exposure to Universal and Disneys shortcomings, their name will only go so far anymore...
    And that's not a bad thing. Those who lack patience and want some positive change as soon as possible should stop going to Disney parks. This has two major benefits: 1) it will force Disney to compete in areas that other companies are driving at the moment, which will hopefully benefit Disney parks in the long run, and 2) until that time comes, I will enjoy reduced crowds at Disneyland and DCA. I'd like to help, but I can wait, and frankly I'm always kind of nervous about too much innovation too fast ruining the magic.

  15. #30

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    37

    Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

    I feel absolute magic when I go to Disneyland. I feel like a little kid, I love the rides, I love seeing everybody smiling and having the time of their lives. I love the consistency. There's not a single damn thing I love about Disneyland.

    I'm not a theme park buff, nor do I have an astoundingly expansive array of knowledge about the Disney parks. I only just recently joined this site, thinking it'd be great to meet and talk to other huge Disney fans like myself, and learn new information. Most conversations I see do in fact match my enthusiastic and, in a way, innocent view towards the spirit of Disney.

    Then I see posts like this, and I begin to question if we should really analyze something we cherish so much. I never thought about the politics of what rides to refurbish, and I certainly have never had a "stale" feeling in the parks.

    For me, it is, always has been, and always will be about the blissful feeling I get from watching Disney movies and visiting Disneyland. I truly hope I am not the only one who sees it this way.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Should they build a place for the Disney Magic at the DLR?
    By techskip in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 06:36 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 06:38 AM
  3. cruise review of the Disney Magic
    By tahoebob54 in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 06:53 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 06:30 PM
  5. Some Ask if the Disney Magic Is Slipping - New York Times, 7/31/05
    By Darkbeer in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2005, 08:35 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •