Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Why are you counting out RSR? And how do you know Transformers is "mind blowing" unless you've been to Singapore recently?

If Transformers Ride is anything like Spider-Man (and it is), then it will be mind blowing. Radiator Springs Racers will be nice but I doubt there'll be anything that will push the boundaries of guest expectations. They'll safely meet every one and not once will someone go "wow, how'd they do that?"

I hope they're able to, but I don't they will.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Pilot EdForceOne

The crazy thing is.. in all this inferior Disney actions.. they can still do stuff like this

Crazy.. and to pull that kind of stuff out over night, etc.

The company is very capable.. they just aren't enabled/empowered to do it
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    They'll safely meet every one and not once will someone go "wow, how'd they do that?"
    True. And as a guy who grew up with a Disneyland that regularly made me go, "OMG how'd they DO that?!" even when I knew exactly how they did it, it breaks my heart.

For me the thing that Disneyland's new stuff in the last two decades has lacked isn't just the "magic," it's the sense of wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The company is very capable.. they just aren't enabled/empowered to do it
    True x2. Which just makes it worse.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

If Transformers Ride is anything like Spider-Man (and it is), then it will be mind blowing. Radiator Springs Racers will be nice but I doubt there'll be anything that will push the boundaries of guest expectations. They'll safely meet every one and not once will someone go "wow, how'd they do that?"

I hope they're able to, but I don't they will.
    Making predictions is a mug's game. All I know is that, from everything I've seen and read, both look very promising. I'll be eagerly getting in line for both on my next Cali trip (once the craze dies down a bit).

I've ridden Spider-Man many times. It is a great ride. But it's not a given that everyone will prefer Transformers to RSR. Some people will always prefer AAs and real sets to screens and a 3D environment, however richly realized.

Incidentally, my favorite ride in Orlando is neither Spidey nor FJ, but a WDW one (shock! horror!). That would be TOT.

As for "how'd they do that?", I don't really care. All I care about is a fun ride experience. Frankly, I'm not technically inclined so I rarely know how they did that. That's probably true for most park guests.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 03-09-2012 at 06:46 PM.

• Minion

If Transformers Ride is anything like Spider-Man (and it is), then it will be mind blowing.
    While Spider-Man is a great attraction, Transformers is not quite at that level. Many of the 3-dimensional sets and figures used in Spider-Man were cut from Transformers so it's strictly a projection experience. I'm not saying Transformers will be bad, but it won't be at the total immersion level that Spider-Man is at.

Personally, I am looking forward to RSR much more. I don't think any projected image, no matter how intense and exciting, will beat the leisurely ride through the rockwork and landscaping of Ornament Valley with the thrill portion at the end racing through the buttes and mountains of Cadillac Range.

• Minion

Incidentally, my favorite ride in Orlando is neither Spidey nor FJ, but a WDW one (shock! horror!). That would be TOT.

As for "how'd they do that?", I don't really care. All I care about is a fun ride experience. Frankly, I'm not technically inclined so I rarely know how they did that. That's probably true for most park guests.
    WDW's ToT IS an outstanding attraction. It was groundbreaking when it was initially developed. It's too bad that it's following iterations have diminished in execution.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    While Spider-Man is a great attraction, Transformers is not quite at that level. Many of the 3-dimensional sets and figures used in Spider-Man were cut from Transformers so it's strictly a projection experience. I'm not saying Transformers will be bad, but it won't be at the total immersion level that Spider-Man is at.
    How do you know this if you haven't ridden it??

---------- Post added 03-09-2012 at 09:14 PM ----------

Why are you counting out RSR? And how do you know Transformers is "mind blowing" unless you've been to Singapore recently?

Disney's days of complacency and resting on their laurels are behind them. They've responded to the competition; they wouldn't be building in two parks (soon to be three -- or four?) if they hadn't. And even in the "post Spiderman" world, they still created great attractions like Expedition: Everest, TSMM, and the new Star Tours, which all contained innovations and ground breaking effects. As ground breaking as Spider-Man or FJ? Maybe not. I believe that Disney could and should be pushing the envelope further. But there's more to theme park magic than just a technological race, as many posters have pointed out.

Bottom line, Disney is busy creating and plussing. Some may prefer what Universal is doing, but, in the end, theme park magic is something you feel. It's subjective.

I thought I was out (of this thread) but they pulled me back in
    Transformers and RSR are opening at about the same time. My concern is what's next?? Universal has announced a HP Phase II and HP for USH, but most people here agree it'll be about five-six years after the Carsland debut before Disneyland adds anything.

And yes, magic is in the eye of the beholder. But what isn't subjective is Disneys track record, which shows that they're going several years between so much as lame character overlays (which counts as a new attraction to Disney marketing for some weird reason), which to me is not plussing the guest expèrience and thus not adding any magic.
    Last edited by TylerDurden; 03-09-2012 at 09:18 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    How do you know this if you haven't ridden it??

Not only do have I ridden the Transformers attraction in Singapore, but also have good friends in Uni Creative.

Transformers and RSR are opening at about the same time. My concern is what's next?? Universal has announced a HP Phase II and HP for USH, but most people here agree it'll be about five-six years after the Carsland debut before Disneyland adds anything.
    Just because people on here think Disneyland won't add anything in the next 5 years doesn't make it true. There are big plans well underway for Disneyland.

• Minion

Just because people on here think Disneyland won't add anything in the next 5 years doesn't make it true. There are big plans well underway for Disneyland.
    What land?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    WDW's ToT IS an outstanding attraction. It was groundbreaking when it was initially developed. It's too bad that it's following iterations have diminished in execution.

Even ToT has a quality to it that makes me ask "how do they do that?" when it came to riding the Florida version for the first time. We always have known for elevators to go up and down only... never forwards. So for that to happen, my mind was blown.

Radiator Springs Racers is a giant slot car track. A fancier one but nothing ground-breaking at the same time.

The Matterhorn was ground breaking in 1959 for several reasons being many firsts. Radiator Springs Racers will have the "biggest one" award for sure compared to Test Track and the now extinct Rocket Rods.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Not only do have I ridden the Transformers attraction in Singapore, but also have good friends in Uni Creative.

I apologize then, it sounded like you were only speculating in your original post.

As for your second statement, I have a hard time believing this...when has Disney given us big projects without so much as a hint five years in advance? You may know of some ideas, but I don't believe there are definite plans until I hear it from Disney themselves

---------- Post added 03-10-2012 at 06:59 AM ----------

Even ToT has a quality to it that makes me ask "how do they do that?" when it came to riding the Florida version for the first time. We always have known for elevators to go up and down only... never forwards. So for that to happen, my mind was blown.

Radiator Springs Racers is a giant slot car track. A fancier one but nothing ground-breaking at the same time.

The Matterhorn was ground breaking in 1959 for several reasons being many firsts. Radiator Springs Racers will have the "biggest one" award for sure compared to Test Track and the now extinct Rocket Rods.
    I agree!!!!!!!!!!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789