Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

Below is my entire post from today's Insights and Sounds blog. I'm a little worked up about how Disney is handling its parks. I'd love to hear your thoughts.Let me say up front that I appreciate all of the ongoing expansion plans at Disney California Adventure and even the new and somewhat impressive Fantasyland Forest at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom. In my mind and heart, however, something is just not right, and I couldn't put my finger on it. Until now.It used to be that Disney Imagineering was ahead of the game, and they were also ahead of the tourists. What I mean by that is, Disney used to be best in the business but now is playing catchup to Universal and its Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey at Islands of Adventure. That's the easy one. Many folks who are theme park enthusiasts understand this point and I would venture agree as well.The other is much more difficult. In days of old, Disney anticipated their guests' needs and surprised and delighted them year after year with new attractions as well as news shows and parades. Now, parades and shows are supposed to keep fans happy for years. Even at Walt's original kingdom, Disneyland, things seem, well, stale. Sure, the park looks pretty good. But it feels old, even tired.Refurbishing attractions is necessary for show quality, but it is no replacement for new and exciting attractions. The still great oldies of the Matterhorn Bobsleds, the Jungle Cruise, and the Pirates of the Caribbean, the Submarine Voyage, and Star Tours, should be given new elements and refreshing. It's just not enough. The magic is wearing thin.Don't let the argument of lack of space fool you. Tomorrowland is a mess. A big, disjointed one. And Frontierland has more than enough acreage for something big and new. Even Fantasyland has room. There's no excuse aside from not wanting to do it.Don't let the $1 billion investment into California Adventure make you think this is why Disneyland has been left alone either. Carsland and its Radiator Springs Racers and Buena Vista Street will be fantastic additions to the once bare bones park. However, Disneyland has been left alone for the most part since Indiana Jones Adventure in the mid-nineties. Again, no excuse.Lest I forget Florida, let me say it's just as bad over there, if not worse. The gorgeous Animal Kingdom remains a couple of hours of diversion. Avatar will not be its savior. Something substantial must happen in the meantime. And fix that Yeti!Disney's Hollywood Studios is as much a jumbled mess as Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Again, no excuses for a movie based park from a company that has the rich history and future Disney has. Poor Epcot may be the worst of the bunch with its outdated exteriors of Future World attractions, pavilions that are a shadow of their former glory, tired films of World Showcase, and lack of anything new in that section of the park for decades.Hear this: Lack of corporate sponsorships is the result of a park that is losing its focus, momentum, and excitement. The Walt Disney Company can build great attractions that will draw crowds without someone else's money. They just need to do it. And they have the money. They keep building timeshares and cruise ships, don't they? And they keep building foreign parks. There's just no excuse, but while they wait, the magic is growing thinner and thinner while competitors up their game."What do you think? My view seems fairly well documented from 1,000 other posts on my blog...
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• Hooterville, USA

Re: The Disney Magic is Wearing Thin

Let me just throw this out there.

With the start of the annual pass, youtube videos, and a slew of Disney message boards, DL can grow stale quickly. And with our hunger for wanting it yesterday, and the fact that we now have to be entertained 24/7, Disney can't keep up with the demand.

There is something to be said for longing for days past, where we actually had to talk to each other via face to face, people didn't text during rides, and facebook was never invented!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Not on the Jedi Council

I agree with you Druggas.

The worst critics on any subject are the ones on the subject's fan boards. We know [subject x] inside and out, and certainly enough to put a critical eye on it.

As for the post, I went to the blog to read it, because paragraphs are a good thing, and it made the post more coherent than the one paragraph version above.

To answer some points though, I'd have to say it's that the parks are the exact corporate structure that Unca Walt fought so hard against in his lifetime. Not that the people are evil, they are just people who want to continue working, so the choices made are generally safer than what got the parks built. And since the P&L is humming along just fine, there's not the incentive to keep innovating that there was. Plus, without a single leader such as Walt, there isn't the unifying vision in the same way there was with Mr. Disney to focus things.

That said, the Disney parks are still the cleanest and best in the country. Yes, Universal has figured out how to combine the Star Tours tech with a roller coaster, which is the wave of the future, but other than the Potter franchise, their parks have worse maintenance and to me, are a once-in-five-years experience instead of the couple of days (or more) per month that I find I want to visit Disneyland. Least Uni Hollywood is.
    Last edited by QuiGonJ; 02-28-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: to add that last bit in to make my sentence coherent. =)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Tomorrowland is a mess. That much is true and has been true for decades. None will dispute that.

But stale? Those are words I use to describe Walt Disney World. Not Disneyland. The shows and entertainment here are state of the art. The better Fantasmic with upgraded dragon and sound can be found here. World of Color can be found here. A great new parade can be found here.

In WDW, you have the old Electrical Parade (from here) and you have Pixar's Block Party Bash (from here).... and you still have stage shows Beauty and the Beast live, Voyage of the Little Mermaid from the late 80s/early 90s. Not to mention a Tomorrowland Speedway (autopia) with the same old cars from the 70s.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

I don't think the Magic wearing thin, but it's wearing thin a little. WDW Magic Kingdom maintenance is line with USH, Knotts Berry Farm, and SFMM. So that makes the problem really bad as they are comparable. Unlike Disneyland, while there upkeep and show quality is still one of the best!

• Banned User

I don't mean this to sound snarky, but aren't you essentially just saying that you want Disney to update attractions more often?

This in itself would be somewhat controversial. "Updates" to old attractions definitely get a mixed reception.

You also point out many Disney long running problems (Tomorrowland, Future World, Yeti) but I don't think bundling them in this argument is saying anything new.

The short answer is that Disney balances loss leaders (new attractions) with profit generators (restaurants, hotels, timeshares, etc.). If they just went on a 10 year e-ticket binge they might go broke. This isn't to say that can't do a better job with it, but a balance does need to be struck.

You can absolutely make the argument that DL isn't receiving much attention because of the expansion at DCA. Even though it hasn't seen much brand-spankin'-new, a lot of the past 10-15 years has been spent either under poor leadership, bad economic times, or a much bigger focus on building/expanding DCA.

What I see happening at the DLR (I have no experience with WDW) is building a very solid foundation across the entire resort so that it can grow to become even larger and even better in the future. It doesn't happen overnight, and we're just a few months away from seeing the next major step in the process complete.

Sure, some of the technologies being used at other parks are more innovative than whats we've got, but innovation and technology are evolving at such a rapid pace that it should come as no surprise. I could be wrong but I don't think Walt was competing with what we see today, and as much as we admire his work, there's no telling if even HE would be able to manage to keep the parks at the top of the game in this day and age.

I just say have patience. I have no doubt that what we see in the coming years at DLR will be inspiring, innovative and unique.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

^^ Yeah, I am probably running out of patience. But should the original park really be without anything truly new for so long? Not in my opinion. Is DLR in better shape than WDW. Probably. But new shows and parades do not drive attendance like really attractions- at least not as far as I can tell. That said, World of Color may be a game changer in that regard.
    Mark

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    ^^ Yeah, I am probably running out of patience. But should the original park really be without anything truly new for so long? Not in my opinion. Is DLR in better shape than WDW. Probably. But new shows and parades do not drive attendance like really attractions- at least not as far as I can tell. That said, World of Color may be a game changer in that regard.

I dunno. We DID get an upgraded Star Tours last year along with a new parade and so far this year there's been several nice touches of entertainment that they've never done before.

Not sure what you really expect. I'm not defending how long it's taking for some updated Tomorrowland but they're spending quite a bit on DCA. It's also not good guest service to close that much if there's way too much walled off across the way.

How would you like it if you came to Disneyland resort for the first time and DCA was under heavy construction and so was Disneyland? There's a give and take here that I think you're completely ignoring. It's almost unreasonable.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Many of your expectations are unrealistic. Consider your standards for Animal Kingdom:
    -fix the Yeti
    -make it a full day park
    -add "something substantial" (more substantial than a new area of the park, apparently)

The only way to fix the Yeti is to close Everest for an extended refurb. Making the park as a whole more substantial would probably involve lots of construction everywhere like in DCA. I see only two ways to fix these problems: close many attractions for a massive makeover, creating an expensive multi-year mess out of the park, or add a major expansion to the park to shift the focus away from Everest so it can be fixed. The first option is unrealistic; it would basically make the park a temporary ghost town. The second seems to be what Disney is doing right now with Avatar. I'm not sure why you claim Avatar is "not enough." Isn't adding a fancy new land based on a recently popular fictional universe exactly what Universal did with Potter?

I strongly agree with Druggas' comment. Overexposure to Disneyland is the main source of any disillusionment.

That said, Disneyland is LONG overdue for an E-Ticket. Fortunately, Disney is well aware of this, and all the rumors point to one being in planning. I'm betting there will get some sort of announcement next year.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Below is my entire post from today's Insights and Sounds blog.

I'm a little worked up about how Disney is handling its parks. I'd love to hear your thoughts.Let me say up front that I appreciate all of the ongoing expansion plans at Disney California Adventure and even the new and somewhat impressive Fantasyland Forest at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom. In my mind and heart, however, something is just not right, and I couldn't put my finger on it.

Until now.

It used to be that Disney Imagineering was ahead of the game, and they were also ahead of the tourists. What I mean by that is, Disney used to be best in the business but now is playing catchup to Universal and its Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey at Islands of Adventure. That's the easy one. Many folks who are theme park enthusiasts understand this point and I would venture agree as well.The other is much more difficult. In days of old, Disney anticipated their guests' needs and surprised and delighted them year after year with new attractions as well as news shows and parades. Now, parades and shows are supposed to keep fans happy for years. Even at Walt's original kingdom, Disneyland, things seem, well, stale. Sure, the park looks pretty good. But it feels old, even tired.Refurbishing attractions is necessary for show quality, but it is no replacement for new and exciting attractions. The still great oldies of the Matterhorn Bobsleds, the Jungle Cruise, and the Pirates of the Caribbean, the Submarine Voyage, and Star Tours, should be given new elements and refreshing. It's just not enough.

The magic is wearing thin.Don't let the argument of lack of space fool you. Tomorrowland is a mess. A big, disjointed one. And Frontierland has more than enough acreage for something big and new. Even Fantasyland has room. There's no excuse aside from not wanting to do it.Don't let the $1 billion investment into California Adventure make you think this is why Disneyland has been left alone either. Carsland and its Radiator Springs Racers and Buena Vista Street will be fantastic additions to the once bare bones park. However, Disneyland has been left alone for the most part since Indiana Jones Adventure in the mid-nineties. Again, no excuse.

Lest I forget Florida, let me say it's just as bad over there, if not worse. The gorgeous Animal Kingdom remains a couple of hours of diversion. Avatar will not be its savior. Something substantial must happen in the meantime. And fix that Yeti!Disney's Hollywood Studios is as much a jumbled mess as Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Again, no excuses for a movie based park from a company that has the rich history and future Disney has. Poor Epcot may be the worst of the bunch with its outdated exteriors of Future World attractions, pavilions that are a shadow of their former glory, tired films of World Showcase, and lack of anything new in that section of the park for decades.Hear this: Lack of corporate sponsorships is the result of a park that is losing its focus, momentum, and excitement.

The Walt Disney Company can build great attractions that will draw crowds without someone else's money. They just need to do it. And they have the money. They keep building timeshares and cruise ships, don't they? And they keep building foreign parks. There's just no excuse, but while they wait, the magic is growing thinner and thinner while competitors up their game."What do you think? My view seems fairly well documented from 1,000 other posts on my blog...
    Well said

(paragraphed for readability)
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

wait till summer.. i'm sure WDI will tickle your feathers..

• Done with MC.

I'm sorry Mark but I just cant get on your band wagon. In a time when corporate mentallity has damaged so many industries and destroyed the way others function in order to save the tiniest amount of money, I think the park is extraordinary . And while I am an admitted pessimist, in this case the glass is definitely half full.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

No bandwagon, just a discussion starter. Who knows? Disney execs might read the thread and gain some new insight from us- fans who care so much.

Phillipnotphil, Animal Kingdom is a half day park, and I do think the yeti can be fixed. Avatar is still SO far off. If they can build Buena Vista Street almost from scratch within a year, it shouldn't be too difficult to build a few "C" ticket dark rides to round out the park. Don't you think or am I being unrealistic?
    Mark

• Under that tree again!

My point of view on Disney Parks has changed greatly. I used to think a trip to DL with my parents was the best trip ever. I now think a trip to DL is the best trip ever. What has changed? I can drive myself because I'm much older. With decades of experience and education my view on almost everything is different. And I've grown a couple feet so I spend more time looking down versus looking up.

I honestly can't tell you if the Disney Parks are better or worse, because my view point has not been stationary to allow me to make a fair comparison.

Everything was new when I was young and changing with each visit as I became old enough to stay awake at night, ride the matterhorn and wander the parks without parents. Now all that is new is the paint on the Matterhorn and growing buildings in DCA. I've seen everything else before.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 02-28-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast