Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Behind the Wall: Matterhorn Bobsleds Refurbishment

Looks great and I'm excited to see the newly-refreshed mountain. Sure wish they could somehow retain even just a handful of the "cuddle seats" (with the "lap seating"). It would be so nice to have that available for parents and their small children who might otherwise be afraid to ride. And, it would be fun for the older folk who are fond of the more 'intimate" seating. Along with the single-rider line, why not have a "lap-seating" line?

• Master Gracey's Music Man

I'm glad that the Matterhorn and Harold are getting updated but the only thing that saddens me a bit is the new bobsled configuration. I have nothing against it overall but I'll miss being able to ride this awesome attraction while being able to hold my fiance close. Many memories there were those times. I'm definitely glad I had some pics taken with her in the classic configuration.
    Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

So happy to hear that a single rider line is coming.

Matterhorn will go from a ride that I would ride once in a while, to a must ride.

Now add one to Space Mountain.

I have rather mixed feelings about the new bobsleds. On one hand the old design was uncomfortable for those of us that have bony hips and... well other things without much padding on our bodies. But on the other hand there was the "enjoy a fast ride while getting to cuddle with your significant other" factor which set the Matterhorn apart from other coaster type rides. So for the time being I will have to remain undecided until I actually sit down into a new bobsled. (Since I am moving to Rhode Island in May that might be a very long time)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    So happy to hear that a single rider line is coming.

Matterhorn will go from a ride that I would ride once in a while, to a must ride.

Now add one to Space Mountain.
    Single rider line works for the new matterhorn due to the seat configuration.

For space mountain it doesn't work due to how fast we have to load people and group them. To have to stop every time and put a person in a row would make our efficiency go way down as we only have 20 seconds to fill a rocket and dispatch it.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I think I'm more excited about the Matterhorn than Cars Land.
    I am, too!! I've been saying for YEARS that they needed to repaint the Matterhorn, based on Everest in AK and what they're doing at Carsland across the plaza. The old girl needed some sprucing up!
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceace View Post
    Single rider line works for the new matterhorn due to the seat configuration.

For space mountain it doesn't work due to how fast we have to load people and group them. To have to stop every time and put a person in a row would make our efficiency go way down as we only have 20 seconds to fill a rocket and dispatch it.
    Hong Kong Disneyland Space Mountain has a single rider line, and its the exact same ride as Disneylands.

Also, people are grouped 2 or 3 rockets in advance of boarding. I don't see it being a problem.

I was initially anxious over the new paint job because I liked the Matterhorn fine as it was, but I have to say that I like what I've seen thus far. The Matterhorn promises to look not only more realistic but also more dramatic, and assuming that it actually pans out that way when the refurb is done, personally I think it will be an improvement.

As for the cars, I'm used to the old style of seating, and I'm actually kind of fond of it, so it will be missed. I was there on the last day and squeezed in as many rides as I could on both sides of the mountain. I saw CMs taking photos and final rides in costume when changing shifts, and they were on the PA encouraging everybody to load 8 in each car whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by chadb14 View Post
    Will the actual total possible riders be less per train/car now? 6 instead of 8?
    The total number of riders possible will be reduced from 8 to 6, that is true, but on the average the new cars may do slightly better, from what I've seen.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Well seems like it being down for 6 months will be more then worth it...love the Single rider line shows they are really trying to fill each care so the line can move as faster

Should have kept the old sleds for one line, new sleds for the others. Yes, I know that would never happen...but it should have!

Hong Kong Disneyland Space Mountain has a single rider line, and its the exact same ride as Disneylands.

Also, people are grouped 2 or 3 rockets in advance of boarding. I don't see it being a problem.
    Obviously you dont work the ride

Space Mountain only gets thru its riders so fast due to the set-up. I think single rider would probably mess with that.

Glad to hear about Matterhorn single-rider. I just hope it lasts, unlike TSMM.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I'm not sure how the queue is designed in Hong Kong, but the bottleneck and lack of space, combined with the constant stream of people going past to the accessable rocket puts a lot of strain on the CM's. This last week saw at least three cascade stops per day due to the inability of the CM to keep up (not their fault). People simply cannot get down the ramp fast enough, and smaller groups cannot get onto the platform to fill seats fast enough to keep it loading smoothly. Also, having multiple rockets waiting only works when the load platform is staffed really really well with two groupers and someone near the gates to urge people along.

Can't wait to see this when it's completed. The new cars will definitely be changing the expereince some and the paint is looking great as it gets completed.

• Timelord

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I'm not sure how the queue is designed in Hong Kong, but the bottleneck and lack of space, combined with the constant stream of people going past to the accessable rocket puts a lot of strain on the CM's. This last week saw at least three cascade stops per day due to the inability of the CM to keep up (not their fault). People simply cannot get down the ramp fast enough, and smaller groups cannot get onto the platform to fill seats fast enough to keep it loading smoothly. Also, having multiple rockets waiting only works when the load platform is staffed really really well with two groupers and someone near the gates to urge people along.
    I think HKDL is setup like at TDL where there are no accessible vehicles.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast