Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Behind the Wall: Matterhorn Bobsleds Refurbishment

I'm really looking forward to the new lift portion of the ride. Never really liked the bland darkness of it.

I wonder if the new ride system will let them send both sides up the lift at the same time like they used to do when it's early in the morning and not so busy. When both sleds go up at the same time you pass each other at some spots, making it more like a race. I don't know if that's how it was designed, but that's what I noticed riding several times in a row one morning before it got busy.

You know those mornings when you walk out the exit and right back in the entrance over and over...good times, good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Director_Guy View Post
    In theory, 8 passengers is better. But most of the time, at least from what I've seen, people don't ride in tandem; they get their own seats. So it brings it down to about 4 or 5 passengers.
    Right, and if, say, the real average over time is 5, then being able to fill every seat for a total of 6 now, using the single-rider line, would theoretically increase capacity by 20%. I don't know what the real numbers are, but my point is that even a seemingly small difference can significantly increase capacity.

By the way, theory can take into account real-life statistics--you have a maximum and a common case, and apparently Disney did the math and figured that the maximum capacity of 6-passenger trains that are always filled up is better than the common capacity of 8-passenger trains that usually aren't filled up--the single-rider line is a key component here, making the common case equal to the maximum case when you have individual seats. Additionally, the number of single riders that the Matterhorn typically gets must be sufficient to justify this change, so I'm guessing that it is (unless somebody flunked math ).

There were probably other reasons for the change, as well, such as how cumbersome the seat belts were in some ways, with CMs always having to explain that each person (when lap-riding) had their own belt, and guests having to fiddle with the belts to get them buckled and adjusted to the right length, which is less expedient than individual lap bars (although these still have to be checked, of course). The Matterhorn's ride system has buffer areas that allow for some delays without shutting down the entire ride (more so than other coasters at Disneyland, I think, which is why it goes down less frequently), but I've seen it happen anyway, and the new cars should reduce the odds even farther. There may be safety reasons, as well, and with Gadget's Go Coaster available for the smallest riders, I guess the old-style cars could no longer be justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Director_Guy View Post
    I too will miss the cuddle seats, but maybe this will bring the line down.
    I got to ride the Matterhorn in my mom's lap when I was really little, and I had a blast, and I've also taken youngsters on it as an adult, so it's sad for me to see the old-style cars go, even though I can understand the reasons for the change.

Quote Originally Posted by TONY THE BEAT View Post
    I'm really looking forward to the new lift portion of the ride. Never really liked the bland darkness of it.
    What exactly is changing in the lift hill portion?

The video mentioned updated lighting on the Yetis. I hope they get rid of the strobe lights they recently added. I felt they took away from the yeti moment more than they added.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland55 View Post
    What exactly is changing in the lift hill portion?

The video mentioned updated lighting on the Yetis. I hope they get rid of the strobe lights they recently added. I felt they took away from the yeti moment more than they added.
    Strobe lights and Yetis, always a bad combination!
    Last edited by HMF; 03-08-2012 at 03:32 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I doubt that they will always get six in the rockets.. But, I also know that it is unlikely that they will get less than four (I am ignoring single rider for fairness purposes, but that helps with the queue a little bit).

A previous discussion on this topic revealed that the "current" (old) sleds run an average of between four and five riders, occasionally reaching up to six, and rarely seven (hardly ever eight). Without singles, the new rockets will bottom out at 4 due to basic crowd makeup, averaging five and then allowing six more often than the old bobsleds held 6-8. For all intents and purposes, the capacity remains the same (or gets only a little bit better).

The real improvement though is the new queue. If the rumours are true, then it will allow for better, quicker and more efficient loading. The new design will also allow for the dispatcher to get more sleds out on time due to an easier restraint check set-up. Finally, the new seats will allow people to get in and out faster. This means that the load position will hardly ever be waiting for slower unloaders to get out, and the dispatch/check positions will rarely be waiting for people to board. These simple streamlines mean almost every sled will go out at the minimum dispatch which will have the cascade effect of increasing ridership.

Note: Increased ridership doesn't mean shorter wait times. If the wait time drops, more people will simply get in line because they can justify the "shorter" wait. It will all balance out. The same is true for Splash where the new queue has increased ridership with no dramatic affect on the overall queue length.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    A previous discussion on this topic revealed that the "current" (old) sleds run an average of between four and five riders, occasionally reaching up to six, and rarely seven (hardly ever eight). Without singles, the new rockets will bottom out at 4 due to basic crowd makeup, averaging five and then allowing six more often than the old bobsleds held 6-8. For all intents and purposes, the capacity remains the same (or gets only a little bit better).
    With the confirmation of a single rider line - there is no reason for trains to go out with any less than 6 per train now. The single rider line all but guarantees full cars because every seat is individual so no one even leaves a bench open.

The real improvement though is the new queue. If the rumours are true, then it will allow for better, quicker and more efficient loading
    Some of the gains from easier restraint and seat loading will be offset by the use of gates though. The gates have slowed down every platform they are put on.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Disney Nerd<3

Thank you for posting this!!! I can't wait for Matterhorn to be reopend!!!!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

As I said (or tried to say), the single rider will fill up the cars, but for comparison purposes, I excluded it from my examples. The merits of single rider for shortening queues are debated and I didn't want that to factor into the comparison.

As for the gates, in this case it will allow guests to wait closer to the cars in larger numbers hopefully meaning that the time you bring up will be negligible. Surely that will be the case when you consider all of the gains in efficiency that I mentioned.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The gates have yet to improve any queue except from a legal point of view.

Single rider will ensure the ride will operate at almost full efficiency at all times limited only by the # of trains on the mountain.

Speedier queue is only going to make a difference if they had problems running the max # of trains on the mountain before.. causing them to run less trains then possible. They can't ever launch trains faster than the blocks allow. So faster dispatch is always bound by the ride control.

I don't recall hearing of general problems with dispatching at matterhorn causing cascades so I question the benefit that will have on the wait. It's really about how many trains they are able to run on the mountain reliably.. and if that was constrained before or not. I don't know if they struggled to run at full capacity or not.

Am I evil? yes, I am

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I had heard from a few CM's in the last big discussion on this that the occasional sled would go out 5-10 seconds late. Over the day, that adds up. From what I understand, the Matterhorn has enough block sections at the end to avoid cascades so those aren't an issue. The issue is getting trains through the station quickly, having everyone seated+buckled, and having the train ready to go the exact second the train ahead clears the section ahead.

Assuming a dispatch of 25 seconds. If every second train misses it's dispatch by only one second, that's over 19 minutes of dead-time per track on a full day. That's 46 missed dispatches or 234 riders per track missed over the course of the day.
    Last edited by Trevor; 03-08-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Some of the gains from easier restraint and seat loading will be offset by the use of gates though. The gates have slowed down every platform they are put on.
    Uhh, maybe I'm confused here about something, but the Matterhorn already had gates. Are they installing slower ones or something? If not, then the gate delay should already be factored into the overall times. Like, unless the new gates create a longer delay than the old ones, you won't be offsetting any time gains from them.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

^I totally thought so but was unsure. It definitely did though because I have a picture of the gates on my computer.

As I said (or tried to say), the single rider will fill up the cars, but for comparison purposes, I excluded it from my examples. The merits of single rider for shortening queues are debated and I didn't want that to factor into the comparison.
    Shortening queues is a whole other matter, but I think that increasing capacity and ridership should still be factored in, especially since the new sleds can make much better use of a single-rider line than the old ones could. Without it, I agree that the capacity, all else being equal, would be the same or just slightly better, but the single-rider line should make a positive difference overall in this case.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Yeah, they look like air gates too.. not sure why they mentioned the gates in the rehab then.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast