Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re: One More Disney Day...Crowded.

^^^You're right. The key to success was probably starting early.

• Circle of Ancients

Some pics from One More Disney Day at Magic Kingdom. This actually looks like fun!!!

Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World - One More Disney Day 2012

• Nutty about Disney parks

I feel bad for the people who planned the whole traveling from WDW to DL in the same day thing for this event because methinks that due to the DL crowd situation, things might not have worked out in their favor.

Though to be fair to Disney this is the first time they ever planned something like this and I don't think they ever considered the insanity that resulted from such an event. And considering this was on a school night the crowds were more adult (literally, lol).

I'm sure that either this will never happen again or Disney might do some restrictions the next time they plan such a thing...or just do nothing and watch the money roll. :P
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie
    I'm sure that either this will never happen again or Disney might do some restrictions the next time they plan such a thing...or just do nothing and watch the money roll.
    One thing that did occur to me when I was stuck in the mass of cars going into the M&F garage...every hard ticket party Disney ever thought up, currently has, or will have in the future, was just instantly justified. All of them. Forever. To have stuffed ticket booth queues at 3am is priceless.
    Last edited by PeoplemoverMatt; 03-01-2012 at 02:56 PM.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Minion

HOLY COW. I had planned on making a special trip for this but it ended up not working out, and I was pretty bummed about it. NOT ANYMORE. Boy am I glad I didn't go. Sounds like an absolute nightmare. I knew it would be busy, but not like this. I have to laugh at all the people who said, "How crowded could it possibly be at 3am?" back when the promotion was announced. Question answered.

It sucked, but was ok until about 5pm. At 3am it was just stupid. Can someone explain what would be fun about staying up, getting there at 2am and waiting in 120 min lines and dealing with hoards of people?

Today was great though. Like 30 min wait times. All the rides seemed working great. Indiana jones was the best (all effects working well, except opening tunnel thing) I've seen in awhile.

My wife and I had plans to meet up with a large group of friends that evening, so after work we left home last night at about 630 pm, got to the Orange Crush area at about 7:15 or so via the 5 North. Disney Way going in was clear but the Harbor/Ball exit was backed up onto the freeway, so I got off at Lincoln, went over to Manchester, and took that straight to Disneyland drive into the parking structure. Took about 30 minutes to get from Manchester/DLand Drive and Ball into the parking structure. Traffic was moving slowly but not totally gridlocked at that time. I parked on the top of M&F and there were very few parking spaces left.

Got on the tram and got to the plaza at about 8... ticket booths were jammed up and the actual lines in through the gates stretched all the way to DCAs gates. Moved quickly though... we got in w/in 5 minutes.

Met up with some friends in Adventureland after that... most rides were running a 30-60 min wait. We got in rides on JC, POTC, and Indy within the next hour and a half. We didn't mind the waits as we just chatted and caught up with our friends while in line. It was crowded but not out of control.

At about midnight we went to Rancho del Zocalo to get some dinner, and amazingly there was no line!! At about 1 am we headed over to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland to catch a few rides. The last ride we went on was Space Mountain, and were able to make use of a group Fastpass that one of our party had gotten earlier that day after having been on a ride that went 101 briefly.

We got out of SM at about 2:30am and began making our way towards Frontierland and NOS to see if we could catch a ride on HM. This was when things started to get crazy... Hundreds of people in wheelchairs clogging the exits of rides, people opening and going through backstage doors, and subsequently getting shooed out by cast members and/or security. The occasional smell of weed drifting by. Crowd gridlock in some areas. Only two trains running made for a 45-minute wait, and the Tomorrowland station is being refurbed. 30-40 minute lines for anything edible. My wife found some girl tripping out on an illicit substance in the restrooms being tended to by a medic. The children have long disappeared from the park by this time - it's only teenagers and adults now. The shortest wait for a ride is in the 90-minute range. SM topped a 200-minute wait soon after we got out. And to make matters worse all the food locations in the park save for what was on Main Street closed at three. We got word from friends outside that the esplanade was mobbed and all the surrounding streets were gridlocked.

At about 330 we all decided we'd had enough and left. We waited about 20 minutes for a tram before deciding to walk back to M&F. There seemed to be very few trams running and people were getting vocally angry at the slow tram service. I don't know how many trams DLR runs total, but I saw 10 of them parked in Pinocchio and only 5-6 of them in service on that run when we left. Understaffed? Not enough drivers? People were still buying tickets at late as 4:30 AM from what I heard.

I don't think that the DLR brass planned for this to be as big as it did. The cast was clearly being run ragged and several key locations were clearly being understaffed and overrun from the massive influx of people.

I had fun with my friends and my wife but I got there just far enough ahead of things getting insane for that to happen.

• Disneyland PAP

Wow, I really missed a lot of the bad stuff. I don't know if I've ever done a trip report before, but I did one this time. I only spent the last six hours there, the "graveyard shift," but I enjoyed it. I did recognize the party attitude by the majority of park guests there, which were young adults, I didn't witness any out of control drunkenness or drug use (I least I didn't think I did). I stayed out of NOS mostly, too crowded, and again, I was only there from midnight to six.

Anyway, here's my trip report blog, posted on Blogger. Pictures included. This morning, I'm still a little loopy from messing with my sleep cycle. But I would consider doing it again, now that I - and Disney - are especially forewarned and forearmed with the experience of this first one.

• Circle of Ancients

Al had a write-up about the Leap Day mess today.

Leap Story - MiceAge.com

• Jedi Knight

Believe it or not, me and my boyfriend were stuck in traffic for 3 HOURS. yes, 3 hours. and we live literally 15 minutes away. We only rode on ride not wanting to wait 110 for Indiana. I think next time (if they do it) it should be by a different ticket. Like Mickey's Halloween Party.. still be crowded but not to the extent of fighting to get in. I loved the idea, but just too crowded for me.

• Sock Puppet

Yeah, but there was free chocolate! (if you were one of the chosen 200)
    Name:  jsg10j.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  173.1 KB

• Vidia's Minion

Quote Originally Posted by saramommy View Post
    ^^^You're right. The key to success was probably starting early.
    and by early you mean 6am, none of this after noon stuff right

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

We were there for all 24 hours of it. Had a great time. Sure Disney dropped the ball on several things (fastpasses, restaurants and food in general, staffing etc...). But all in all it was a lot of fun. Got on 32 different attractions, saw one parade, watched the Billies at 2:45AM. I'd do it again anytime.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    and by early you mean 6am, none of this after noon stuff right
    Exactly!

• Merrily on my way to

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    And to make matters worse all the food locations in the park save for what was on Main Street closed at three.
    I know that's not correct because we had breakfast at the River Belle at 4:00.

The park was certainly very crowded once night fell but we were there for the entire 24 hours and we had a great time. I didn't find the crowds unruly and the cast members were polite and cheerful. I'm really glad we did it.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast