Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

I don't know how to feel about the one more disney day I had..

I posted on the "One more disney day- crowded!" thread already, but since I drank mass amounts of coffee in preparation of staying up all night, I thought I would write a trip report now while it's all fresh in my mind

today was pretty odd. looking back on it now, it is definitely the weirdest day at the parks I've ever had. we arrived around 12:30 and I didn't think it was very crowded- maybe it seemed lighter because I was expecting the worst. we waited in a few short lines for some rides and then headed over to DCA, which is when we saw that they were filming for "Modern Family" in front of the entrance. it was madness! people really really wanted to see this being filmed, no matter where the actors were in the park or how little they were doing. later in the day we had to go around huge crowds of people in frontierland who were trying to catch a glimpse of the filming.

it started getting busier throughout the day, but it wasn't until about 8 o'clock that it got INSANE. completely packed in NOS, and adventureland was a MADHOUSE! we kept mellow and went with the flow, strolling around a lot and looking at things. by 11:30 there were hardly any kids left, and that's when things started getting uncomfortable. so many people wreaked of alcohol, and while we were in line for BTMRR two different groups of people started smoking weed in line. by this point the 75 minute line was wrapped tightly around behind where the country bears were having a meet and greet, and it was impossible to tell who was smoking.

around 1 we started seeing people smoking cigarettes everywhere, and a lot of people were hiding it, because they knew they weren't in the smoking area. now okay, I see some people accidentally light up in the wrong place almost every trip, because some people aren't used to that, but this was excessive. in line at food carts, in front of shops, everywhere!! there weren't enough CM's to deal with this many guests, and I only saw one CM tell a person that they can't smoke there (right outside of the stage door cafe)

there were a few people who "confided" in me that they were drunk, and I heard profanities yelled from every angle all the time. I'm no prude, by any means, but it felt like I was somewhere else! CircusCircus maybe, or a dirty mall with a bar in it.

don't get me wrong, I had a LOT of fun and me and my boyfriend had a great time. It was just so odd, at one point I saw a group of 20-somethings yelling and laughing, and as they walked by I watched a girl rubbing her boyfriend's arm, and saying 'look how beautiful the castle is, it's soooo beautiful, I love this place soooo much, and I love youuuuu...."

after we saw the aforementioned girl and her group, we knew it was time to leave but to be honest we were scared of how much of a mess exiting would be. it ended up being a breeze, and as we left we saw that both sides off the ropes for the ticket booths were PACKED. by this point it was about 2 AM. I had seen from the main street train station earlier (about... 10PM maybe?) that there were pretty big lines in both, so I wasn't surprised that they were there, I was just surprised they were still there! It didn't click until we were leaving and I asked a girl in line what they were in line for. she replied, "Well when I called earlier they said they'd be selling tickets all night, but now they say they're only selling Annual Passes!" she was pissed. that's when I realized- these people were actually here. at 2AM. waiting on both sides of the ticket booths with soo many other people. waiting to get tickets! for february 29th! this blew my mind, that they were still willing to wait in the cold for tickets to an event they would have less than four hours to enjoy.

then we exited through bag check and I didn't even recognize what I saw at first. everyone leaving along with us was gasping and saying "are you kidding me?" there was a crowd spanning from the bag check past the fountain, as wide as the bag check itself. these people were packed next to each other so tight and everyone looked so mad, it was insane. I can't believe there were that many people in that area, waiting to get through bag check to wait in line for tickets to get into an event that was at capacity!

I'm slowly losing my awake-ness (not a word) so I don't have time to analyze now, but what do you guys think? how did it compare to your trips? I had a lot of fun and it was a great day time at the park, the night was just a little too weird.

Re: I don't know how to feel about the one more disney day I had..

If you don't know how you feel about it, I know how I do: I'm glad I wasn't there!!! thanks for sharing!

The park must be a mess! I wonder if they will have it cleaned up by 10:00am when they open?

yes it was very interesting indeed. I arrived 2:00am and was amazed to see how many were in the line for a ticket. the line(if that's what you would call it) before the baggage check was huge but went surprisingly fast as well as the line for the park itself. I felt that I could get stabbed at any moment(exaggeration). BTRM was most def a pot place during the que and ride. Im glad I went if I hadn't had gone I think I would have regretted it, but yeah mixed feelings most def a hooligan type of crowd.

• We Want The Redhead

I thought I would breeze in at around 8PM. HAH! The 5 was backed up to a near standstill beyond the 91. Some 75 minutes later I was finally in view of the 'Disneyland Park Is Full' light board. I took a right and headed west on Ball to get away from the madness, and the traffic was jammed to a stand still heading towards the park for miles. Oh well...
    Name:  DSCF0421mail.jpg
Views: 4995
Size:  41.7 KB
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Indiana Scott

Thanks for the wrote up. I'm glad I didn't see any of this either.
    That's not the DisneyLand I want to be part of.

I was reading tweets about it all day, and it sounded like it was crazy. I would at least try it once in my life. I'm happy that it only happens once every 4 years though.

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

It would be less chaotic if Disneyland would open Disney California Adventure for 24 hours also.

Glad I went in the morning.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^lets hope that if an Event like this happens again that they have both parks open (especially since events like this scream Elec-Tron-ica or the Mad T party)

• socal native

I have to agree with you. We had no plans to go last night, but then my sister-in-law decided to come down from SF to go to Leap Day at DL (she's there til Friday), and my husband wanted to see his sister, so last night we went. He took off of work early, and I am glad he did.

We got to the structure at 4pm and parking was relatively easy, but already the streets were getting crowded. We walk to DTD, and since she wasn't answering her phone, we went into DL. Security was a breeze, but the ticket booths were packed. We got buttons at the entrance (there were baskets where you could help yourself), and then popped into the Emporium to get a t-shirt. It was pretty packed and the CMs looked frazzled already and it was only 4:30! Then we got a phone call and headed for the gates. We asked about handstamps, but were told we wouldn't need them with our APs. We met our party and went to the GCH and had a wonderful dinner at Napa Rose.

We were done with dinner at 9:15, and decided to hit the park. What a mess! Huge lines at the ticket booths, huge lines at the turnstiles. Mainstreet was packed with people waiting for the parade. SIL and her friend wanted to see the dj, so over to TL where the floor was so crowded I didn't think dancing was possible. Husband and I watched while they danced. It felt alot like a grad night, but without all the restraint and control. As we watched one harried security CM circle around trying to get people off of chairs and railings, we compared it to grad nights we have chaperoned, but without the chaperones. There was nothing to curb bad behavior, and certainly there was nothing stopping people from bringing in "illegal" things (unlike the pat downs at grad night, not foolproof, but a deterrent). We saw one teenaged looking girl stumble around looking for her friends, in what appeared to be a state of drunkenness. There just didn't seem to be enough security or crowd control for these types of crowds. Because, while there were a lot of families with children, there seemed to be even more of the teens to early twenties there. And they were ready to party.

We eventually walked over to Frontierland, where we parted ways and decided to leave. Work in the morning. Then the fun really began! We were stuck behind the parade watchers since the parade was about to start, and getting down Mainstreet between people and the construction walls on the west side was nearly impossible. We cut into the Emporium really quick and discovered they were out of the special t-shirts already. (Good thing we had come in earlier!) The lines to get in were obscene, as were the lines at the booths. After walking to the structure (not a crowded tram thing, we just like the walk), we were stopped by a guy who asked if it was crowded, and then asked if he could buy our tickets off of us! We told him we didn't have tickets and walked away. We didn't see any CMs around, so we couldn't report him. Once in our car, we got out of the structure without an issue, but we couldn't get onto the roads! It was packed! Traffic at 11pm was stacked at all points into and out of the area. We finally cut over onto the 5 overpass out of the structure and got on the NB5 (even though it is not the direction home) just to get out of there. SB5 was a parking lot past the 91 (which is where we took a turn. I had never been so glad to be on the 91!)

This event was not as well planned as I usually expect from Disney. Things were not set up in advance*, crowds were not controlled as well as a July afternoon, and the lack of CM presence was obvious. I am not blaming CMs. Everyone we came in contact with did a fine job, but I definitely think management short staffed this event.

*At 10pm, they were just setting up a meet and greet back drop at Carnation Plaza. Two guys with a ladder were fumbling around on stage. It seemed unprofessional and not well thought out. What was set up? I left and never found out.

Got there around 4:30 pm after work and cruised into the M&F parking structure and through both security and the Disneyland gates with absolutely no lines. I was even texting people that it was just a little heavy for a Wednesday night but not crazy-crowded until probably 6:30 or 7. But around 9pm it started to feel like a New Year's Eve crowd, and the closer it got to midnight it really started to feel more and more like Halloween on Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood, which used to be a fun but I went out of my way to avoid the last few years I lived in WH.

I didn't stay all night because I had to get to work early this morning, so I can't say if it got even crazier or calmed down inside the park (outside looked miserable). I had fun for the time that I was there, but it would have been a lot more fun (to me) if it felt more Disneyland Main Street USA and less Universal City Walk as the night went on.

• Circle of Ancients

I'm hearing such different reports from MK ... moderate crowds at best, no issues like this.

Just goes to show the difference between the CA and FL factions. Would be interesting to see how many of the reported 87,000 people who went into the park yesterday were AP's.

• No Disassemble!

I'm glad to hear that while there was mischief happening all around that micechatters were still able to have a great time. I had planned on going from 12-6am but after seeing the reports of traffic tie-ups and the announcement that the park was full I gave up on the idea. Sucks to hear about the blatant drug and alcohol use going on that night but it's most concerning to hear that there were teenagers who were also drunk. Would the resort get in trouble if evidence of this was made public, like a youtube video getting posted or something?

• Pilot EdForceOne

well you can see from even what the sample here did.. so many simply came in 'after work' to say they were there. For decades from now, how many people are gonna say ' I did 24hrs' and all they did was be there from 6pm to 2am or something.

I said it earlier... 'no pix.. it didn't happen!'

I was curious if Disney was going to keep the gates open all night or treat it like a 'lock-in' event. I think the latter would have been more manageable.

But all the complaints about the crowd behavior... well that just shows what your local customer base is really like! It's not Disney encouraging or lack of restraint causing this.. it's the concentration of the bad element of the customer base all converging at one key event.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Looks like I didn't miss much... when the parks get packed it ruins my trip due to me getting claustrophobic

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast