Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Blew By You

Re: Why were people buying tickets at 2:30 in the morning?

What else is there to do once the bars close?

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Infernoman View Post
    Not that big of one. They had to pay a LOT in overtime, Officers needing to come out, the almost constant Paramedic runs and that's just top name a few things. I don't think it's nearly as huge as one would think it is.

...seriously
    I think it was a huge win for them. Every custom sweater they sold payed off at least two or three CM's. And they sold out of all of them it seems. The money from food, ticket and merchandise sales definitly outpaced the costs.

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I think it was a huge win for them. Every custom sweater they sold payed off at least two or three CM's. And they sold out of all of them it seems. The money from food, ticket and merchandise sales definitly outpaced the costs.
    well I still disagree but not like they'll actually break down what did make money and what didn't to us.

...seriously

• That's a lot of look.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernoman View Post
    Not that big of one. They had to pay a LOT in overtime, Officers needing to come out, the almost constant Paramedic runs and that's just top name a few things. I don't think it's nearly as huge as one would think it is.

...seriously
    Why so many police and paramedics? Were things really that out of control?

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by missmonkey View Post
    Why so many police and paramedics? Were things really that out of control?
    I did see one guy get carried off by Anaheim PD. He was swearing a lot, was stained with blood and a torn shirt. supposedly the story was something involving his GF and the sad result was she was getting abused hard just by the exit of EO and the Star Trader. I just hope she was ok but at one point as one paramedic truck left another arrived and it occurred I saw 3 times in a row. I knew things were bad but again I really hope no one seriously hurt that night.

...seriously

I only saw one first-aid incident, just inside the entrance to Adventureland. They seemed to have it pretty well in hand.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

There were fights all over the place. We witnessed a couple over in Tomorrowland at the Kiis DJ party. The demographic changed dangerously sometime after 8:30 when the DJ party started. Hoardes of Kiis listeners were decending upon the park. That's why the lines were so long to buy tickets. AP's have their tickets. But after midnight is when it got really bad. The unsupervised kids in the park were insane. People drunk, throwing up. Pot smoke everywhere. Several fights that we witnessed. It was completely out of control. We finally left at 2:00 am because honestly it was not fun any longer plus depending where you were, it seemed dangerous. The amount of people in line at 2:00 am buying tickets was unbelievable. The park was over flowing with crowds that aren't normally in Disneyland. Kids walking around that had no idea where things even were. They weren't there to enjoy Disneyland. They were there for the dance party and the whole overnight thing. Alot of people were leaving at 2:00. The crowds to get thru security were dangerous. People were leaving the park and just stopping to watch it. People pushing, standing in the security line with beer in their hands. It was truly sad to watch. The amount of drunk people alone in the security line and the ticket buying line was stupid. There are unconfirmed reports that people were on facebook and twitter saying there was a rave overnight at Disneyland. Why Disneyland was choosing to continue letting this type of crowd into the park is beyond me. Especially when it was so understaffed. They could have stopped ticket sales and refused entry to these people but it appeared they were at a loss for what to do so they just kept letting them in. At one point people were yelling to rush the turnstiles.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Disney made so much money on this. To suggest that overtime and extra security was a wash between the mechandise and immense food sales is WAY off. Disney made an absolute killing, there were no cashiers twiddling their thumbs all day. It was amazing, and not all good amazing.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Disney made so much money on this. To suggest that overtime and extra security was a wash between the mechandise and immense food sales is WAY off. Disney made an absolute killing, there were no cashiers twiddling their thumbs all day. It was amazing, and not all good amazing.
    I have to agree. Any "suits" or upper level people brought in to help with the event are salaried and therefor their overtime doesn't get calculated the same way that hourly CM's do. Furthermore, the contracts for security are different too as far as outside help goes (Anaheim PD, etc...). So, the only big overtime cost is the hourly CM's. Lets say that they had 1000 CM's working overnight (all 6 extra hours, assuming the latest normal closing of midnight) at an average of $20 (way to high in my opinion), including overtime. When a single hoodie goes for $40, they would only have to sell 500 of those hoodies per hour to break even on labour.

That might sound like a lot of hoodies, but remember, that is just one article of clothing. They were selling watches, shirts, bags, pencils, pens and then all of the regular merchandise on top of that. It is easy to imagine that they broke even. Take into account the money they also snagged from upgraded AP's and food and we've got a real financial success story on our hands.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Trevor - you are simplying it way too much in your numbers.

First, when disney sells a piece of clothing, it's not 100% profit. They have costs to buy, make, and ship things too.

Second.. you lost a zero in your math $20x6x1000 = 120,000 40x500 = 20,000 20,000 doesn't cover 120,000

You also forget the extra money spent on bringing in unusual food options, etc.

Dedicated paramedics, police, etc don't hang around for free

But given all that - I don't think its unreasonable to think the whole thing will come out in the black for them. They had twice their normal guest count in what is really only about 50% more time. Those guests were also 'captive' in staying longer than normal so they are going to be spending more than normal. Add on top of that 'must have merchandise' and you have yet another solid revenue stream.

In short.. I doubt their costs rose faster than their revenues grew.. so they should be fine.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Trevor - you are simplying it way too much in your numbers.

First, when disney sells a piece of clothing, it's not 100% profit. They have costs to buy, make, and ship things too.

Second.. you lost a zero in your math $20x6x1000 = 120,000 40x500 = 20,000 20,000 doesn't cover 120,000

You also forget the extra money spent on bringing in unusual food options, etc.

Dedicated paramedics, police, etc don't hang around for free

But given all that - I don't think its unreasonable to think the whole thing will come out in the black for them. They had twice their normal guest count in what is really only about 50% more time. Those guests were also 'captive' in staying longer than normal so they are going to be spending more than normal. Add on top of that 'must have merchandise' and you have yet another solid revenue stream.

In short.. I doubt their costs rose faster than their revenues grew.. so they should be fine.
    The simplifications are explained by the fact that I exaggerated the costs. That was the intent of what I wrote. It was an overly simplified example to show how easily the profits add up.

Also, note that I said "per hour", instead of multiplying by six. That explains the discrepancy you detected.

As far as the dedicated resources such as paramedics and police, they would have contracted that out at a cost, but not a high enough cost that the huge amount of goods they sold on the record-breaking night wouldn't have covered it. I briefly mentioned that in my post above. But I wasn't intending for it to be comprehensive. Again, that was because I was just trying to quickly show how fast the profits from the various items they brought in add up.

As far as real-world costs, the fast-food industry runs at a 20-25% food cost level, and a 20% labour level during standard operating hours. Disney has almost double the mark up that Fast Food does, and it seems like their drink sales (drinks have a food cost of less than 8%) were a huge part of the night. So it is not unreasonable to say that their food costs were 15% when you factor in the cost of the new items.

Retail is different, but Disney would have a much better margins than most because of their large purchasing power and order size. It is not unrealistic to assume they get a 75% profit by eliminating the middle-man, paired with their super-sized margines. Even then, they sold way more than that number of hoodies, shirts, etc.. That is all I was showing.

However, it can also be noted that that kind of development and deployment is partially budgeted for in part in the yearly promotional budget as well as the standard operating budget. Money always comes from various places. For labour, I doubt they hit anything near the standard 20% even with the overtime due to the fact that they were so understaffed and had such high sales. Breaking sales records while understaffed means huge profit margins.

That is all my super-simple example was trying to highlight.

• Minion

Why the assumption that people in ticket lines at 2:30 were buying tickets for that night? I waited outside the closed gates for an hour and 45 minutes and saw 3 people right within my vicinity who held e-tickets who went to the booths for a refund. I suspect there were a lot more refunds than ticket sales after midnight or so.

• Hooterville, USA

My daughter works the ticket booths, and she said they sold tickets with only 80 minutes remaining til the park closed!

Some people just didn't want to be left out I guess.

MiceChat is still slow to post.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

I had some friends in line to get in at around 4:30/5 am and at that time CM's just began to hand out free tickets to get in. 2 friends had APs but 2 didn't so they got in for free!

• Across From DL

^ i do not belive that for a minute!

"To All Who Come To This Happy Place Your Welcome!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast