View Poll Results: Are you happy or do you care less?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excited about refurb

109 75.17%
  • Somewhat Excited

28 19.31%
  • Not excited

7 4.83%
  • Not Necessary

1 0.69%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• A Weather Eye Open

Re: Big news about indiana jones!!

working over the queue would be great... wheelchair accessibility the whole way would be ideal and not that much construction would be needed, as it was accessible when it opened and only bringing in a fastpass line is what screwed that up.

don't see how they could fix the single rider line hopping problem without 1) a wall or cast member in the avenue of voices AND 2) having them bypass the movie room. if it gets much worse i wouldn't be surprised if they took the option away AGAIN. as someone who rejoiced when it came back a couple years ago, i truly hate the line jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy Poofs View Post
    Where in the ceiling did the ice originally come out? I always try to look up at the ceiling for a hole or where rocks would fall but have never found it. Or did they cover it up after it stopped working?
    right after the "big steps" that the jeep bumps down. it's like an overlook for the whole huge main room and you are facing the bridge and big skull rock with the fire in the eye. The rocks would fall as the jeep turns left and you can still hear the sound effect. I think you can see a black space in the ceiling right there.

Quote Originally Posted by junglecskipper View Post
    Does anyone have pictures or video of the Ice effect working in the attraction?
    It only worked for one year, so from 1995? no digital video back then, really, for the consumer market. And the ride doesn't allow video lighting either, so that would be one dedicated video maker!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Personally all I think they need to do to make this ride perfect is too fix the reliabillity problem.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Personally all I think they need to do to make this ride perfect is too fix the reliabillity problem.
    as i understand it from others on this board who in past years have detailed to us how the vehicles work, the "reliability" from the cars, and is not necessarily a mechanical fix but a computer problem. the cars often just stop on their own, and no one knows why. i wonder where the original programmers for the ride are and if they knew the true cause, but i doubt they are around disney to fix or reprogram, if it even can be helped.

i remember a lot of talk about fluid on the track breaking the ride down, just as hydraulic fluid from the cars, but in the recent couple of years that doesn't seem to be the case; that used to happen quite often until that accident where the car when through the wall in fall of 2007(?) and there was a lot of similar discussion then, but they must have found a way to take care of that fluid problem and contain it since the breakdowns don't seem to be as bad as they were back then.

I've looked for a video or picture of the falling ice effect for years with zero luck. I have no recollection of ever seeing it in real life. However! I think I may have FINALLY found something! This video was taken in 1996, the ride was only 1 year old. It shows the whole queue and a full ride through. The interesting thing I noticed was at 10:53-10:55. I believe I see what just might be the falling rock effect! You have to be quick with the pause button. Right at 10:53 immediately hit pause, then hit play and then pause again very quickly (to make a sort of slow motion effect). At the tail end of second 10:53 you start to see the rubble falling in the top left corner of the video. Continue to pause/play very quickly and you can see the rock continue falling through second 54. It's right where the effect took place. You can see and hear Mara's laser go off around 10:52 setting off the effect. What do you all think? This may be the only glimpse of this long lost effect on the internet!

Edit:Here are some screenshots.I believe the falling rock is on the left side of the pictures, the bright glowing circle in the middle is Mara's eye with fire in it (the one that shoots the lasers) These shots are right after you descend down the "stairs" right after entering the main show room.

In the shots below, you can see a "laser" shooting from Mara's eye.

I upped the contrast in photoshop.
    Last edited by disneyland55; 03-07-2012 at 02:52 AM.

• A Weather Eye Open

W great find! Man, the generator was loud back then... and wow, look how fast that line was flowing in the outdoor portion with no FP. (i'm still a FP proponent for Indy though)
    LOLz when the guy tries to be cool pulling the spike room pole but it is stuck in the "down" position already!
    WHOA the video with Sallah has a very different narration and way more slides! It is so much longer! The newsreels are longer too! And no gates before you get on the cars!

Unfortunately all I can see is just blurry colors during the aforementioned crumbling rocks scene. It's so hopelessly out of focus.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeYerColors View Post
    Unfortunately all I can see is just blurry colors during the aforementioned crumbling rocks scene. It's so hopelessly out of focus.
    You have to look really quick or you'll miss it. It only appears for maybe half a second at the end of 10:53, you can see something distinctly moving in the "falling" direction Keep your eye on the upper left portion of the video, that's where you'll see it.

• A Weather Eye Open

Thanks for the screen caps, that helps!

Maybe we should ask Dave Smith if the archives have any photos of the Indy effects from opening?

The rocks would fall as the jeep turns left and you can still hear the sound effect.
    I never realized that the sound effect was still in there, that's a really cool thing to notice.

i wonder where the original programmers for the ride are and if they knew the true cause, but i doubt they are around disney to fix or reprogram, if it even can be helped.

that used to happen quite often until that accident where the car when through the wall in fall of 2007(?) and there was a lot of similar discussion then,
    Well the problem with the ride shutting itself down is when a car senses that its not quite were it needs to be, and has extreme safety measures to make sure they stay as close to where there need to be. While watching that video from 1996 you can see the car stops on the bridge for longer than normal, and there is no pause before the air tunnel and a few other points in which the ride is slightly different from how it runs today. When they realized how low of a capacity ride it was they upped how many vehicles they had on the track, so less time in between vehicles, meaning less room for error for each car to vary and more cars for the computer to keep track off. Although some reprogramming had to have been redone, the current problem would most likely be because of inefficient code that takes too long to run before the ride shuts it self down. There can be a huge time difference in how long it takes for a block of code to run, and optimizing the code may be the solution to solve this problem, or an overall update of the ride system's computer, but it is so complex that its a huge undertaking. The main reason behind Test Tracks delay in opening was because the ride system literally could not handle all of those cars and all of that information on the track on once, it was just too advanced. So they had to rewrite that whole program to figure out a way to handle everything at once, which probably seemed impossible to the people trying to do it (which is why RSR is in my opinion a very advanced ride).

Why and what happened with that accident in 2007? I had never heard of that.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Evanator View Post
    Why and what happened with that accident in 2007? I had never heard of that.
    Basically the boggy the car uses to ride along the track broke and the jeep rolled into a wall
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Basically the boggy the car uses to ride along the track broke and the jeep rolled into a wall
    During normal operations with guests in the jeep?

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Wow thats dangerous, never heard about this.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Evanator View Post
    During normal operations with guests in the jeep?
    You can read about 'em in previous threads.. like this one
    Indy accident once more

This search will turn up more of the discussions
    https://www.google.com/search?q=site...+wall+accident

Browse at your leisure
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    I LOVE your idea! Just place the same effects into the seats and have them switch on when the vehicle gets to that sequence. It really would enhance that scene. That whole area needs a rework. A bunch of black walls and a horrible rat projection effect that doesn't work half the time. I would add the effect you talked about but also add more rock texture on the walls and maybe some rat animatronics and a new rat projection onto a physical screen (or branch) above the car. That is IMO the most jarringly bad effect of the entire ride. Every other section of the ride flows together well but then you get to that section it sticks out like a sore thumb.
    Thank you!

Yes they really need to add more stuff in that big empty room.

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    What? How?

Star Tours required re-filming. Are you suggesting that they redo the entire interior of the temple? Do you really think that they could do that for the same price as tuning up what already exists?
    No but get a budget that would be able to.....reuse the interior but make it a new ride....Im sure Disney has many ways to us the same track but make the whole ride feel "new" then we could kinda get BIG E ticket type attraction for Next Summer....since I don't think Disney has any plans right now to give us ANY new rides at Disneyland until at least 2 years after Carsland

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast