View Poll Results: Are you happy or do you care less?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excited about refurb

109 75.17%
  • Somewhat Excited

28 19.31%
  • Not excited

7 4.83%
  • Not Necessary

1 0.69%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• jhalderman

Re: Big new about indiana jones!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    In the middle of the ride, somewhere around the Bridge there was a place where the "roof is falling in" - there were supposed to be rocks and rubble falling as you went past, and you could see where it piled up...

They had a big commercial ice machine on the roof (you can see where it was on satellite photos) and a set of dump doors that let a batch of "rubble" fall as your party went by. With the lighting, it would look like rocks.

Problems: They couldn't make the ice fast enough to have a batch for each car, or even each other. Then it started building up at the bottom and not melting fast enough. And then the ice machine broke down and solved both problems.

And the silly part is, it was all fixable - BUT There was no repair money ever budgeted to do it with, so they stole that maintenance money and put it elsewhere.

They make bucket conveyor belts that could have ferried the ice (or other selected "Rubble Replacement") back to the roof to use over and over till it melted, and can snake around obstacles and go horizontal and make turns to go around props and columns - It would take a long rehab to install and then hide it, but this could be their chance.

And if they stay with ice, they make much better ice machines that put out a lot more sheer volume.

And there are a lot of other effects that have been abandoned in place - SFX like smoke machines, spark and flame emitters that were made for stage shows to operate a few hundred times in the run of a show - they asked them to do a few thousand times a day, 7 days a week... You have to replace wear and consumable parts and the whole unit occasionally.

There are special lighting effects that they couldn't reach easily to change the light bulbs when they burnt out, etc. Easier to just let it go out than thread a snorkel lift into the building several times a year for access, or build a catwalk in the attic after the fact to get maintenance access that way. Or they just flat decided it wasn't worth the crawl to get to it.

--<< Bruce >>--
    With the falling rock effect, wouldn't it make more sense to use a dense foam instead of melting ice? and have that cycle back up through with conveyer belts. What would be amazing is to get the smoke ring effect from Tokyo's version! That effect is amazing!

---------- Post added 03-07-2012 at 12:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland55 View Post
    I've looked for a video or picture of the falling ice effect for years with zero luck. I have no recollection of ever seeing it in real life. However! I think I may have FINALLY found something! This video was taken in 1996, the ride was only 1 year old. It shows the whole queue and a full ride through. The interesting thing I noticed was at 10:53-10:55. I believe I see what just might be the falling rock effect! You have to be quick with the pause button. Right at 10:53 immediately hit pause, then hit play and then pause again very quickly (to make a sort of slow motion effect). At the tail end of second 10:53 you start to see the rubble falling in the top left corner of the video. Continue to pause/play very quickly and you can see the rock continue falling through second 54. It's right where the effect took place. You can see and hear Mara's laser go off around 10:52 setting off the effect. What do you all think? This may be the only glimpse of this long lost effect on the internet!

Edit:Here are some screenshots.I believe the falling rock is on the left side of the pictures, the bright glowing circle in the middle is Mara's eye with fire in it (the one that shoots the lasers) These shots are right after you descend down the "stairs" right after entering the main show room.

In the shots below, you can see a "laser" shooting from Mara's eye.

I upped the contrast in photoshop.
    Seriously a great find!!!! I didn't think this really existed until now.. That is clearly proof this effect once existed, since there would be no other explanation of something appearing to be falling!
    Last edited by joeyhalderman; 03-07-2012 at 11:51 AM.

• The Pumpkin King

Re: Big news about indiana jones!!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    No but get a budget that would be able to.....reuse the interior but make it a new ride....Im sure Disney has many ways to us the same track but make the whole ride feel "new" then we could kinda get BIG E ticket type attraction for Next Summer....since I don't think Disney has any plans right now to give us ANY new rides at Disneyland until at least 2 years after Carsland
    I disagree

IMO the elements from the movies and the story fit perfectly together.

I would just be happy with fixed and enhanced effects that are already in place

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^I sure many Star Wars fans thought the same thing before the redo.......................
    and now we have a much improved ride. The Tech that is now available FAR surpasses what was possible at the time it was built just 15 years ago and I can promise that there are Newer and Better Effects then what could be done with the attraction as is.
    Also unlike HM or Pirates most fans of the ride are not coming in for the "story" they come on for the adventure so as long as the ride excites people I don't think people would miss the current attraction if it was improved inside out (as long as they don't make it about Indy when he's old like in Indy 4)
    Last edited by JerrodDRagon; 03-07-2012 at 01:06 PM.

• The Pumpkin King

^I sure many Star Wars fans thought the same thing before the redo.......................
    and now we have a much improved ride. The Tech that is now available FAR surpasses what was possible at the time it was built just 15 years ago and I can promise that there are Newer and Better Effects then what could be done with the attraction as is.
    Also unlike HM or Pirates most fans of the ride are not coming in for the "story" they come on for the adventure so as long as the ride excites people I don't think people would miss the current attraction if it was improved inside out (as long as they don't make it about Indy when he's old like in Indy 4)
    I guess your right about that. And lol I didnt realise that was you JerroDRagon :P

But I like the ride the way it is. I personally would be happy with just working and upgraded effects.

If they were to change anything inside the ride, that would months to do I'm assuming.

If they did I would love it if they at least kept the bridge if Mara's face shooting laser at you.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^Im sure the bridge would stay almost not matter what...cause its one of the WOW moments from the ride...just like the falling boulder but for me everything can go since....the rest can be improved in many ways (especially the Bug room, Snake room, Rats and dart room)

Might as well ask this question while everyone is focused on Indy...

Anybody know why there is what seems to be a maintenance door on the left side in the dart room, right before the boulder scene, that is ALWAYS open now? When I first got my AP in 2010 it was never open but shortly after that I noticed it open and it has never been closed since. I'm sure someone here knows what I'm talking about.

• jhalderman

Quote Originally Posted by logicspeaks View Post
    Might as well ask this question while everyone is focused on Indy...

Anybody know why there is what seems to be a maintenance door on the left side in the dart room, right before the boulder scene, that is ALWAYS open now? When I first got my AP in 2010 it was never open but shortly after that I noticed it open and it has never been closed since. I'm sure someone here knows what I'm talking about.
    I know exactly what your talking about however I have no clue why it remains open... it looks ugly

• Minion

I do no trust current WDI to do a complete overhaul of Indy. I don't even want to know what they would do to it. Probably add crystal skulls and a Shia Leboeuf animatronic. The ride itself is perfect the way it is, all it needs is updated/fixed effects.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^Star Tours was improved...why not Indy? They knew to keep Jar Jar and other stupid characters out of the spotlight of he ride for more Classic Characters (Boba, Vader, Leia and C3-P0)

I do agree if the ride tied into the "older" Indy's life then the ride will greatly suffer BUT Disney knows people don't want to adventure with old Indy they want to be with the younger and more liked Younger Indy from the first Movies

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Whenever they are running the max number of jeeps, the doors remain open.

Question 1: Do/did those doors ever close and open?
    Question 2: If so, did they ever do that when the max number of jeeps were running?

I can't wait to see what they announce and hope it is all true.
    answer to both your questions is yes
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Quote Originally Posted by joeyhalderman View Post

Seriously a great find!!!! I didn't think this really existed until now.. That is clearly proof this effect once existed, since there would be no other explanation of something appearing to be falling!
    Agreed, especially something that appears to be falling exactly where the effect once was. Everything seems to add up.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    I do no trust current WDI to do a complete overhaul of Indy. I don't even want to know what they would do to it. Probably add crystal skulls and a Shia Leboeuf animatronic. The ride itself is perfect the way it is, all it needs is updated/fixed effects.
    Oh please. If Indy does indeed get a refurb, there will be no film elements added.

^Star Tours was improved...why not Indy? They knew to keep Jar Jar and other stupid characters out of the spotlight of he ride for more Classic Characters (Boba, Vader, Leia and C3-P0)
    C-3PO's line "We nearly hit that poor Gungan" in the Naboo sequence cracks me up--oh no, that would be SO terrible!

I do agree if the ride tied into the "older" Indy's life then the ride will greatly suffer BUT Disney knows people don't want to adventure with old Indy they want to be with the younger and more liked Younger Indy from the first Movies
    Ideally they will fix the ride (including all of the original effects), make the effects more reliable and easier to maintain, add some new effects, and change only what obviously needs to be improved.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Oh please. If Indy does indeed get a refurb, there will be no film elements added.
    Maybe they should strip the place bare, replace everything with video, and give everybody 3D glasses (to go along with some "4D" effects)--that's just as good, right?

• jhalderman

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post

Maybe they should strip the place bare, replace everything with video, and give everybody 3D glasses (to go along with some "4D" effects)--that's just as good, right?
    LMAO universal!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Yeah, I was partly joking. The movie didn't do well enough to justify it, ha. But anyway, I still don't trust them to do a complete "reimagineering". Just a nice, solid refurb will do, thanks.

Also, I personally don't feel Star Tours was really improved, but that's another topic.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast