View Poll Results: Monster's Inc. Ride - 1 - 5 "Screams" (5 is the best)

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Scream - It was horrible

2 1.96%
  • 2 Screams - Bad

4 3.92%
  • 3 Screams - Neutral

14 13.73%
  • 4 Screams - Good

50 49.02%
  • 5 Screams - Fantastic

32 31.37%
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Post Monster's Inc - You Rate It

Monster's Inc. had its first public opening tonight at DCA. There were many MiceChatters in attendance. This is the place for you to let the world know what you thought.

Please help us rate the ride on a scale of 1 - 5 "Screams" (5 being the best).

Dusty's thoughts:

Over All Entertainment value 4.5 "Screams"

This is a very cute ride with a fun story line and amazing special effects for a dark ride of its size.

Pluses:
    • The animatronics are better than the average dark ride with many partial or fully animatronic characters.
    • Special effects like animated doors, smells, "Pepper's Ghost", and more help make this a fun ride for adults as well as kids.
    • The on ride video (left over from Super Star Limo) is used well to let you know that a child has escaped into Monstropolis.
    • The door scene is incredible and long. This ride does not leave you feeling that it was too short or that you are missing anything. This is a top notch dark ride. The best new dark ride in many moons!
    Negatives (there aren't many)
    • The exterior queue is a simple switchback
    • The interior queue is a very lightly rethemed version of Super Star Limo. They just changed the videos and put up some new posters.
    • When you exit the ride, you see the back side of the entry facade. It is completely unthemed and ugly! This needs to be fixed ASAP. I know that they try to play this off as a "Hot Set" but it doesn't work. UGLY - BAD SHOW. FIX IT!
    Is it worth a special trip to DCA to see this ride? YES
    Is it worth a special trip to California to see this ride? No - But if you haven't seen Tower of Terror yet, now would be a good time to book a trip to California to see Tower and Monster's as well as all the goodies that Disneyland has cooked up for the 50th anniversary.

This one ride, and the rethemed area around it have done much to change my opinion about the future of this park. There might just be a light at the end of the tunnel. Coming from an avowed DCA hater, this is saying a lot.

-Dusty
    Last edited by Dustysage; 12-21-2005 at 12:20 AM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

Re: Monster's Inc - You Rate It

I wish I could rate it...if it wasn't for school and blockout dates I would have gone today to see if it was open.

• Still wants to be a cat!

I really enjoyed it...and the micechatters I ran into seemed to have the same opinion! Wolfette thought it was fantastic! Had to ride it twice! She can hardly wait to ride again. Great repeatablity aspect! Thank you Matt for going forward with this idea and making it a reality!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I love all the people loving the ride!! After everyone bashed the idea..

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

I didn't bash the idea, but I know some did....we'll have to see what they think!

- Wolfette

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Great thread Dustyone! I just read that to Kyler and now he's even more psyched to ride it!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Banned User

I loved it! I was really looking forward to it as Monsters Inc is a favorite of mine. I went on it 10 times throughout the evening. I think I spotted micechatters.. (I was in a pink thermal and jeans with a ponytail if anyone saw me..).

I took lots of pictures, I will try to upload them tomorrow morning!

One of these days you should connect with some of us....that is if you feel comfortable with that! Would have loved to met you!

- Wolfette

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

I have to say that going into the ride I was less than impressed by the queue. The stink from Superstar Limo was still thick in the air. There was hardly much of a change to the queue and boarding station to the ride. Once the ride actually got going I was surprised over and over and delighted around every turn, literally.

This is no rethemeing or overlay. They gutted that showbuiling leaving nothing but the track and walls and built a darkride that will be charming the pants off of everyone for years to come. Some of the effects were truly amazing. They used all of the great dark ride effects at imagineereings disposal along with afew new ones (Look for the spilt bottles of Sake in Harryhausens and the scent of ginger in the air) to create a fun family ride that is a success.

My problems don't lay with the ride itself as much as they do with DCA as a whole. Tell me how Monsters Inc fits into the theme of the Spirit of California, much less the theme of Hollywood Pictures Backlot. DCA has slowly become Pixarland. Although the Pixarization of the Disneyland Resort has henceforth yielded enjoyable results it is still thematically problematic at best. The Finding Nemo Submarine ride is sure to be wonderful, but how does that fit with the World of Tomorrow?

Regardless of themeing problems the new Monster's ride is sure to be a success. One child exiting the ride said "That was totally FUN!". If that kid's reaction is any indication, than DCA might very well have their first successfull family ride since park opening.
    Last edited by Fishbulb; 12-20-2005 at 11:44 PM.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• insufferable know-it-all

Okay, I think it's great. It has some of the best effects of DL dark rides brought together in one attraction. It's leaps and bounds better than Pooh, and I daresay better than any of the Fantasyland attractions. I'd put it on par with Buzz. A solid, very solid, D-ticket. Good job, Disney!

Also, the cast who were there tonight were fantastic!
    Spoiler

Okay, the queue has changed little in essential elements, but is completely redressed with a Monstropolis theme that just works so tremendously better. There are still some dullish hallways, but even those are punctuated by cute signs and/or video displays. The ride is completely different. You'd never guess that Superstar Limo had once existed there (save for the vehicle design). It incorporates all the best elements of the Fantasyland dark rides: Pepper's Ghost, mirrors for infinite depth and reproduction of objects, audio-animatronics (basic ones, but better than Pooh. I'd say between a regular FL ride and the E ticket AA's). There is also use of video effects to make each ride a bit different, and even some "interactivity" in the form of Roz talking to you at the end of the attraction (the sayings are pre-recorded, but popped in to be appropriate to the riders, such as, "Hey you, the girl in the front row! Nice glasses!", etc.) Some of them are very funny! Another element it uses is the "scent feature" like they use in Soarin', except this time the scent is the very distinct (and yummy!) scent of ginger in the HarryHausen's scene. I was too busy with other stuff to see this myself, but everyone else commented on some spilling sake in that scene as well. There are hidden Mickeys, two apparently on Sully (only on a couple Sullys, ostensibly at least one is on his leg in one of the scenes). There's another Mickey, which apparently is penciled in but not filled in with paint yet. It remains to be seen if they will. It's in the loading area, but apparently VERY hard to see... somewhere in the skyline near a water tower.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    One of these days you should connect with some of us....that is if you feel comfortable with that! Would have loved to met you!
    I should've tonight! I saw everyone standing at the exit talking and I should've just said hello while I had the chance. Argh. I'll have to go to the next meet! I was with my friend tonight and I ended up just laying on the bench at the exit upside down while we figured out where to go next lol.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Wow, it sounds like they found out how to take the best elements of Indy and apply them in a Fantasyland dark ride.

• CM for 4 years!

LOVE LOVE LOVED it

The kind of nitpicks I have are even too nitpicky for the nitpickers. :P

I never rode SSL so I don't know whether that is an advantage or disadvantage.

The new area feels a lot like Universal Studios or Sea World, because of the signs telling you where each individual attraction is.

The ride to me is on par with Peter Pan, but maybe even a little better because Peter Pan is SHORT SHORT SHORT and Monster's Inc. is real long!
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• See you there!

Hey! This sounds great! But, but, they opened it a couple of days too late for me as I probably won't be back until after the first of the year. Oh, well, maybe we can arrange a ride-meet on a Sunday!

CU@DL

Andy

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    I never rode SSL so I don't know whether that is an advantage or disadvantage.
    Be thankful that you never rode SSL. It really, really was that bad.

Seeing that the ride was open yesterday I went down to the park today after lunch. There was about half an hour line, I just got into the building and then the ride broke down for about 45 min.

I stuck it out and was able to finally get on. Several effects did not seem to be running, I think that this was due to the break down, but I will have to go back again to see.

Over all I give the ride high marks. It's a lot of fun and 1000% better than SSL. (I know that's not saying much). When you go on this you have to keep in mind that this is NOT a large E-Ticket ride such as Indy, Pirates, or the Haunted Mansion. Its size and length is well below Roger Rabbit and it has the weakest theme Queue line in the park.

But once you get onto the ride it is very well done telling the Monster INC. story of trying to rescue BOO and get her back to her door. If you have seen the movie then you know the plot line of the ride.

While not perfect the ride does deliver a great “dark ride” experience, with a plotline that you can easily follow. Several great “gags” and effects and is visually interesting to look at. All of which were totally missing from SSL and more or less from The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

This is the correct way to improve the park!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast