DCA's Marketing Blitz: Where is it?

It's just 3 months until the new DCA opens to the public. Shouldn't we have seen some ads by now? People plan their vacations a lot more than 3 months in advance. Maybe they're pushing it in other parts of the country but here in So Cal all I'm seeing are the standard So Cal discount ads. Shouldn't we be seeing something like: "Coming June 15th to the Disneyland Resort, an adventure reimagined!" ...or something like that.

When they first opened DCA in 2001, the ads were crap, but they were pushing it a lot more than 3 months out. What gives?

• Senior Minion

Re: DCA's Marketing Blitz: Where is it?

One can speculate that with the high exposure of the DCA upgrade, and the possibility of any missteps dredging up comparisons to DCA 1.0 in the media, the Disney marketing machine might be punting every PR decision upstairs. Vetting that much hype through that many executive levels will take time.

Remember the micromanagement notes Bob had on WOC?

x 100.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I think that they figured out 2 things:

1. Pre-opening they will need very little advertising. They will be at capacity as it is. Why turn it into a situation where they tell people to come and then close the gates?

2. Opening day they will have tons of free advertising as news stations from the west and southwest come to report the opening on their morning newscasts for free!! This will lead people to start planning a trip two or three months down the line... just as the crowds begin to stabilize.

The only advertising you might see before then is billboards that need to be booked for longer blocks of time.

• Disney is home

I thought Al said that most of the marketing will be aimed towards people that live outside of California all over the country and over the world.

The resort is entering its huge Spring season. They never advertise anything that will debute duing the summer before the Spring season to make sure that they do not cannabalize attendance during the big Spring break

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post

1. Pre-opening they will need very little advertising. They will be at capacity as it is. Why turn it into a situation where they tell people to come and then close the gates?

2. Opening day they will have tons of free advertising as news stations from the west and southwest come to report the opening on their morning newscasts for free!! This will lead people to start planning a trip two or three months down the line... just as the crowds begin to stabilize.

The only advertising you might see before then is billboards that need to be booked for longer blocks of time.
    1. Reference One More Disney Day. Disney's last concern is having to close the gates due to large crowds. In fact they probably hope that happens.

2. A lot of people are going to be at work during these newscasts. So while it might be free advertising not that many people are going to see it.

I think locally you might see billboards ahead of time but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The resort is entering its huge Spring season. They never advertise anything that will debute duing the summer before the Spring season to make sure that they do not cannabalize attendance during the big Spring break
    This makes sense.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post

Bingo...

Remeber this expansion is to set DCA up for DECADES. Disney doesn't need to advertise this like 'one week only!!'. They'll be CRUSHED without any advertising at all. They'll get over the initial push and then start marketing the 'new' DCA as the PARK and DLR as this great new destination for tourists to come.

There is little reason to lure tourists in for the first few months just to see carsland.. unless you want to piss them off.

The gargantuan AP base will make sure Disney has plenty of people in the park for the first 2 months.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged