• Banned User

Disney's 2nd golden age... oddly under-represented in parks?

Anyone else find that a bit odd that the era best known to many guests now is so sparsely represented? There are loads of attractions featuring the old classics, and a solid amount (plus two entire freaking lands) dedicated to later era (and Pixar) films... yet the period from 1989-1999 or so is almost ignored. We have a Little Mermaid ride (only 20+ years after it's release), a treehouse dedicated to what's largely considered the movie that ended (some say killed) that era, and an Alladin Broadway show.. and other than a few dolls tossed in IASW, that's about it. I think it's funny that the classics rightfully have their spot, the park is used to push the hell out of the new stuff... and their most profitable era is lost in the shuffle.

• Halloween 2011

Re: Disney's 2nd golden age... oddly under-represented in parks?

You have to look at it in context with the parks and park politics.

Jack Lindquist was the first President of Disneyland. Jack came from the parks, working his way through the ranks, with a main focus of advertising and marketing. He served from 1990-1993.

Aladdin's Oasis opened in 1993.
    Tarzan's Treehouse opened in 1993.

Then we have the dark days of the Paul Pressler era (1994-1999) followed by Cynthia Harris (1999-2003). These were the folks who felt that if you added one attraction, you had to close another - an odd thought considering that any operating attraction increases the overall operating capacity for the park and therefore drives up park revenues. Plus, they championed the idea that "if you don't build it or maintain it, they'll still come" that lead to the park's overal decline in appearance during their tenure.

Festival of Fools Arena opened in 1996.
    California Adventure and Downtown Disney opened in 2001.
    Ariel's Clamshell and Triton Gardens opened in 2003.

What followed then was Matt Ouimet (2003-2006) which many consider to be a golden age. Matt returned to the in-the-park management style, and was responsible for getting the resort back to looking pristine for the VERY successful 50th anniversary.

Since then we've had two presidents, Ed Grier 2006-2009 and George Kalogridis 2009-current, who seem content to vanish into the background and let Orlando make the decisions.

Also take into account that it is extremely difficult to shoehorn a new attraction into the limited space of Disneyland, and you'll start to understand why perhaps Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, and Tarzan are not so well represented in the park but have been popping up in other resorts.

• Banned User

I totally forgot about Aladdin's Oasis.... granted, I could say so has Disneyland management.

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    Anyone else find that a bit odd that the era best known to many guests now is so sparsely represented? There are loads of attractions featuring the old classics, and a solid amount (plus two entire freaking lands) dedicated to later era (and Pixar) films... yet the period from 1989-1999 or so is almost ignored. We have a Little Mermaid ride (only 20+ years after it's release), a treehouse dedicated to what's largely considered the movie that ended (some say killed) that era, and an Alladin Broadway show.. and other than a few dolls tossed in IASW, that's about it. I think it's funny that the classics rightfully have their spot, the park is used to push the hell out of the new stuff... and their most profitable era is lost in the shuffle.
    Actually, I think the 90's period films are overrepresented in many of the shows. I chronicled this before, but in WOC, every sung song other than the opening Sherman Bros. tune is an Alan Menken song: Mermaid, Aladdin, Pocahontas and "So Close" which is from Enchanted (everyone seems to think it was a pop song chosen at random). Throw in the multitude of Lion King and Beauty and the Beast references and you have mostly the early 90's animated works.

Then Soundsational used Mermaid, Lion King and Aladdin Again!
    Then Fantasmic uses Beauty and the Beast and Mermaid.
    Then Aladdin has his own show.
    Now I hear people clamoring for Philharmagic, which uses Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King and Mermaid (by this point, is there anything as omnipresent as that Mermaid film?).

I would like Disney to acknowledge some of their more beautiful scores when putting show scenes into the park:
    Hunchback of Notre Dame (arguably Menken's best work ever)
    Mulan (underrated)
    Dumbo (hugely underrated musical gem)
    Lady and the Tramp (the most evocative soundtrack in Disney's entire library. It also is the most nostalgic, which fits Disneyland perfectly, it is a shame Disney has swept this one under the rug).
    Alice in Wonderland (had they kept it in WOC, it would have been the only non-Menken vocal musical segment)
    Bambi (Walt's masterpiece, not represented in any show or ride in any park that I know of)
    101 Dalmations (the first of the "jazzy" scores that became popular during that Disney period and a good one)
    Cinderella (a very, very, very good score)

....you get the point. Disney compensates with not having rides from the 90's period by bludgeoning us to death with them in shows. Enough with the Renaissance quadfecta (Mermaid, Beast, Aladdin and Lion King), bring back some of the older films.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    Tarzan's Treehouse opened in 1993.
    Tarzan's Treehouse opened in 1999.

Since then we've had two presidents, Ed Grier 2006-2009 and George Kalogridis 2009-current, who seem content to vanish into the background and let Orlando make the decisions.
    To even put Kalogridis and Grier into the same category is insulting. George is doing an excellent job as President and definitely not letting Orlando run the Resort. Have you seen the constant amount of upkeep and maintenance going on at Disneyland since he was instated? How about the multiple new seasonal events and entertainment offerings? George, in my opinion, is doing just as good of a job, if not a better job, than Matt Ouimet as president of the Resort.

• Sock Puppet

I was thinking that too. Sure there are some shows and meet and greets but I'm thinking more E-Ticket rides.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Tarzan's Treehouse opened in 1999.

To even put Kalogridis and Grier into the same category is insulting. George is doing an excellent job as President and definitely not letting Orlando run the Resort. Have you seen the constant amount of upkeep and maintenance going on at Disneyland since he was instated? How about the multiple new seasonal events and entertainment offerings? George, in my opinion, is doing just as good of a job, if not a better job, than Matt Ouimet as president of the Resort.

I think the treehouse date may have just been a typo on Dougeebear's part.

• All-American

I think a lot of it has to do with when the movies came out. Although the 90s were a great era for Disney animated movies, the second half of the 90s (the point by which they would have realized the early 90s movies were popular enough for an attraction) were some of the worst in Disneyland history. Disney seemed very reluctant to open any attraction with a significant amount of money put into it after Indiana Jones (1995), so even a quality ride based on one of their animated movies was unlikely. If anything, they spent a lot more effort trying to shut attractions down in that time period.

I think another part of the problem is how built-out Disneyland was/is by the 1990s. The successful films of the 1990s would tend to fit primarily in Adventureland (Aladdin, Tarzan) and Fantasyland (everything else). Adventureland became completely built-out after Indiana Jones took the last available plot, and Fantasyland hardly has any room for expansion, either.

I think Disney has made some efforts to take advantage of these movies' enduring popularity in the past few years: their heavy use (possibly overuse) in parades and nighttime shows, a high presence in M&Gs, and even a couple of major attractions, with the Little Mermaid and the Aladdin show. But these days most new additions to the parks seem to based on much more recent (re: Pixar) properties.