Could there be a way to satisfy both the movie fans and the innovative ride fans?

So, I have been wondering for a while if there was a way to satisfy all of the people who love reliving their favorite movies on rides and in attractions, AND the people who eagerly await the new rides that tell their own story so well that they sometimes end up creating great movies?

What if Disney wanted to build two new parks in a new area, but they changed the rules? Instead of making another version of Disneyland, they decided to make one park that is dedicated to everything concerning Disney movies, and then across from it built a park dedicated to new stories and ideas. This would give them a way to fully immerse people into their favorite Disney worlds in the first park, and let their own imaginations help discern a new story in the second.

What do you think? Would this keep Disney from falling into such errors as the defunct Tomorrowland? Would it help make everyone feel like they weren't missing out on "what could have been"?

I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts!!

• Banned User

Re: Could there be a way to satisfy both the movie fans and the innovative ride fans?

First off, your avatar is adorable in a way I had no idea Cthulu could be. Now I'd say the way to make every one happy would be to make great, innovative rides when they are based on movies. The people that don't like the tie ins generally don't have a problem w/ what it's based on, more than the fact many are cheap tie ins that are relying on the name vs quality. If the ride is of high quality (ie, Splash Mountain) that's what matters.

Re: Could there be a way to satisfy both the movie fans and the innovative ride fans?

First off, thank you! Cthulhu has never been so adorable scary.

And yes, I agree with that mindset. However, there are certain people on here who never seem happy about the most amazing rides just because of the tie in. Personally, all I ever want are great rides, and I don't have a problem with tie ins, since this is a theme park based on Disney's creativeness. I mean, the majority of the best rides are themed to movies.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Yes, this would be helpful to satisfy both parties but I don't think WDI has the ability anymore to create things from scratch that are capable of lasting 40+ years. The reason why Walt Disney's team was able to do this was because of the leadership ability, passion, and artistry background.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu's Wife View Post
    I mean, the majority of the best rides are themed to movies.
    Could you please help me name off the best attractions at the resort, I'm a little confused by this statement? Which of the most popular attractions besides Indy and Star Tours are directly based on a movie that people recognize?

Space Mountain
    Matterhorn
    Big Thunder
    Small World
    Pirates
    Haunted Mansion
    Jungle Cruise
    Soarin Over California
    GRR
    California Screamin
    Tower of Terror

vs

Indiana Jones
    Star Tours
    Toy Story Mania
    Finding Nemo Submarin Voyage
    Splash Mountain -Which most don't even know is based on a movie.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 03-17-2012 at 04:00 PM.

• Minion

I think if they would commit to telling new stories with familar characters in an innovative ride you would take care of both! Not sure why rides based on movies always have to be a retelling!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I think that it all comes down to a mixture. Disneyland provides a balance of both types of experiences which is cool in it's own right.

I think that would be a bit too expensive and probably wouldn't bring in a big return. I mean, WE see the awesomeness in an original attraction, but the public really seems to eat up the movie presence at the park. I would say WDI should focus 100% on quality. Sure the suits might want certain things like marketability but honestly, who would complain if every new ride was tie-in based but built with indy quality? At least for me Quality>Non tie-ins
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Closed Account

I'm an adult who doesn't like Disney cartoon films (and didn't really like them when I was a kid). When I was a child, I could go to WDW (I lived on the east coast) and walk around MK and everything, but Fantasyland was relatively 'toon-free. Then EPCOT Center was built and it was entirely 'toon-free. Then MGM Studios - almost entirely 'toon free (with the exceptions of the Animation attraction.

Then Frank Wells died.

Since then, it's been a fairly blatant attempt to shove a Disney cartoon character into every inch of every park. Don't get me wrong ... I don't think attractions based on the animated films shouldn't exist - just because I don't like something does not mean I don't acknowledge others do, or that I'm not the target demographic. I do, however, believe they should exist in far less volume and should be contained to areas where they are appropriate (Fantasyland, Toontown, even Splash Mountain in Frontierland). It doesn't help that often, these 'toonified attractions are terrible (Stitch's Great Escape, Monsters Inc Laugh Factory, Magic Carpets) either.
    Last edited by Krack; 03-17-2012 at 04:38 PM.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu's Wife View Post
    However, there are certain people on here who never seem happy about the most amazing rides just because of the tie in. Personally, all I ever want are great rides, and I don't have a problem with tie ins, since this is a theme park based on Disney's creativeness. I mean, the majority of the best rides are themed to movies.
    You may not realize this, but when DL opened, it was the other way around. Almost all of the character/movie based rides were in Fantasyland.

The reason we're leery of tie ins in any form is that, well, we're tired of them. It's like being served pasta for lunch every day. After a while, it doesn't matter how good the pasta is; you're tired of pasta.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member