• Minion

Difference in Queue Times Between DL and WDW

I know a lot of people compare DLR and WDW all the time, and this has probably been asked before, but why do you think there is sucha difference between ride wait times for similar attractions between the two resorts? Here's some I've wo dered about off the top of my head

Jungle Cruise-much longer waits at MK
    Indy/Dinosaur-Dinosaur is the same physical ride with a great theme so why does the Dinosaur ride always have substantially shorter lines??
    BTMR- always a long line at MK, as low as 15 minutes sometimes in the summer at DL (and it always has FP available)
    Star Tours- never waited more than 15 minutes at DHS, never gone without FP at DL
    ToT-usually pretty quietat DHS, but consistently has a solid line at DCA
    TSMM-it is well-known how ridiculous the line for this is at DHS, though DCA's doesn't get past 50 as far as I've seen
    Buzz-short short line at DL, but 25-35 minutes consistently at MK
    Dumbo-ridiculous waits at MK, not that bad at DL

I know there's more and I know that some of you have probably had different experiences with the lines between the two parks, but still, why is there such a difference in apparent popularity of the same rides between the two parks?

• Under that tree again!

Re: Difference in Queue Times Between DL and WDW

WDW Parks have too few attractions when split up by the four parks. With similiar attendance the people have to fit on less attractions.

• Happily Ridiculous

Burbank, CA (near The Walt Disney Studios)

If I remember correctly, the WDW version of Star Tours has more ride simulators than the DL version, simply because of space availability. I know DL has four, and I think WDW may have eight? Those facts need checking, but that would explain why Star Tours at WDW is able to load more/faster when the crowds get heavy.

• Insomniac

My experience with ToT has been the exact opposite of what you said. Swampymarsh is correct. The number of rides at DLR's 2 parks vs WDW's 4 parks is the main reason. None of the parks have even close to as many as Disneyland, but WDW is designed to use the space it has to funnel guests through the shops more than the rides. WDW can also handle way more people than Disneyland because of the space which causes many ride times to be shorter because they are designed to handle ridiculous crowds where Disneyland was designed over 50 years ago when attendance numbers this high were never imagined. FP also effects it since WDW's jungle cruise has FP vs DLR's which does not.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

•   
    • Minion

At the Magic Kingdom at WDW the attendance is greater. As per the TEA, the Magic Kingdom had about 17 million visitors in 2010 but DLR had about 16. That million makes a difference.

And then there's the point that the MK has far fewer rides than Disneyland. You have more people trying to vie for spots on less attractions, and that is going to make the queue times go right up.

The same holds true for the other parks at WDW vs. DCA. EPCOT, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom each had attendance of about 10 million in 2010 but DCA only had about 6 million. Less people = shorter queues. It will be interesting to see how or if that changes once DCA 2.0 is up and running.

I think that a lot of it probably also has to do with the demographics of the visitors. At WDW you have more people who are visiting the park as a vacation destination and want to stay all day and ride everything. At DLR you're more likely to see locals who drop in for half a day or visitors who only come for a day instead of a week.
    Last edited by Malina; 03-19-2012 at 10:41 PM.

• Minion

So I guess the big question, then, is what's the deal with Indy and Star Tours?? And Space Mountain for that matter (seems to have a longer queue at DL). Autopia seems to get a heftier line at DL too and PoC also seems to get a little more crowded at DL.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Dinosaur is a less popular version of the Indy ride from what I hear. The biggest difference between the two is that Dinosaur is almost pitch black for most of the ride and relies too much on flashing lights. I'm amazed people don't get seizures on that ride. I really wish that they actually fix the lighting so people can actually see more the dinosaurs.

But again like most people said the majority of popular rides in DL are condensed to 1-2 parks where WDW is expanded to 3-4. You're going to have different results here because the majority of people are going to hit up MK compared to the other parks regardless of what popular attractions will be in those other parks. I'm guessing TSMM being longer in WDW is because it is a recently new ride and maybe that people like to hit this ride more repeatedly while in DHS as well.

• Closed Account

OK, as an MK CM and been to DL 6x I think I can take this...

Because MKs not only has FP and pver distribute's FPs from the 12-2pm hour, but the wheelchair boats take FOREVER. It used to be only TWO wheelchair parties but now they will load a WHOLE boat of wheelchairs.

Indy/Dinosaur-Dinosaur is the same physical ride with a great theme so why does the Dinosaur ride always have substantially shorter lines??
    Dino simply dosen't have the clout or reputation that Indy does.

BTMR- always a long line at MK, as low as 15 minutes sometimes in the summer at DL (and it always has FP available)
    I can only think they are not strict about the FP/Standby ratio at DL. Maybe they do a better job of loading too.

Star Tours- never waited more than 15 minutes at DHS, never gone without FP at DL
    ST just never took off at WD seenWDW like it did at DL. I have only seen ST at Studios w/ a line during SW Weekends and the redo last summer. Lines dies down at Studios ST mere weeks after the hoopla of reopening dies down.

RnR COaster cannibalized Towers lines. B&B shows and especially Fantasmic wipe out Towers lines at DHS.

TSMM-it is well-known how ridiculous the line for this is at DHS, though DCA's doesn't get past 50 as far as I've seen
    This one is easy. NO FP at DCA, and TSMM at DHS is in a park where very few children can RIDE anything. Plus WDWs marketing hype. There ya go.

Again, NO FP at DLs Buzz and Star Tours is next door.

I noticed this too and was told the same thing about Tokyo. I can only assume the "Dumbo mystique" does not carry over to Anaheim and they see it for what it is.

I think its just 2 very different groups of crowds. I don't know if someone has a stat on this or not but from what I noticed... and again I could be wrong... but it seemed like there were much more children at DW than at DL. DL seems like it has a nice adult following and I know they have about double the annual pass holders than DW has and obviously most AP holders are adults. But I notice this when it comes to the Fantasyland attractions. Snow White and Pinocchio never have long waits at DL. They will get busy at times but when I've been there I've never had to wait more than 10-15 minutes to get on one of those. Mr. Toad does get busy but I see mostly adults in line for it! In any event these attraction wait times are nothing like the Magic Kingdom Fantasyland attractions where last time I was there Snow White was 60 minutes for the majority of the day, and the same with Winnie the Pooh. This was during what WDW claimed was the 'slow time of year'.. But if there are more adults at DL this might be another reason why Dumbo isn't as long of a wait there compared to MK.
    Just a guess...

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post

Because MKs not only has FP and pver distribute's FPs from the 12-2pm hour, but the wheelchair boats take FOREVER. It used to be only TWO wheelchair parties but now they will load a WHOLE boat of wheelchairs.

I can only think they are not strict about the FP/Standby ratio at DL. Maybe they do a better job of loading too.

This one is easy. NO FP at DCA, and TSMM at DHS is in a park where very few children can RIDE anything. Plus WDWs marketing hype. There ya go.

Anyone else notice a pattern here?
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Minion

Dino simply dosen't have the clout or reputation that Indy does.

ST just never took off at WD seenWDW like it did at DL. I have only seen ST at Studios w/ a line during SW Weekends and the redo last summer. Lines dies down at Studios ST mere weeks after the hoopla of reopening dies down.

RnR COaster cannibalized Towers lines. B&B shows and especially Fantasmic wipe out Towers lines at DHS.

I noticed this too and was told the same thing about Tokyo. I can only assume the "Dumbo mystique" does not carry over to Anaheim and they see it for what it is.
    Thats all makes sense haha thanks

• A Weather Eye Open

I've got a much better answer for BTMR... a friend who did the College Program at WDW worked BTMR there and said that the queue is HUGE there... it is designed to hold about twice as many people as the one at DL. I think that people don't bother looking at the wait time number for this ride when deciding to get in line... they look at the queue and whether it is full or not. On an average day, they will get in line as long as there is space. If the line is sticking out the entrance, they walk away and comeback later. If they do this both at DL and WDW, and WDW has twice as much space in the queue, then the wait time for WDW is twice as long as at DL!

By contrast, rides like Indy and Space Mountain where you cannot see the ride or the majority of the queue, they look at the wait time number that is right above the entrance and make their decision based on that. That's why Indy and SM can hold a very consistent wait time throughout the day (say, 60 minutes on a spring Saturday), but BTM's time will fluctuate more (20 minutes at 8pm, but 40 mins at 11pm when they are running less trains; the line LOOKS the same length at these times so people ignore the number)
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Minion

I was wondering the same thing
    How about Haunted Mansion?
    When I check Touring Plans it shows WDW's at 30-40 mins. consistent while Disneyland is more often 10-20 minutes. Both don't carry fastpass. I heard that WDW has more efficient stretching room and a higher capacity than Disneyland (3,200 i think) , so why is it still longer

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I was wondering the same thing
    How about Haunted Mansion?
    When I check Touring Plans it shows WDW's at 30-40 mins. consistent while Disneyland is more often 10-20 minutes. Both don't carry fastpass. I heard that WDW has more efficient stretching room and a higher capacity than Disneyland (3,200 i think) , so why is it still longer
    larger queue space? with a full queue, no extensions, DL's wait is about 25 minutes, it seems to me. WDW must have more room for people to wait. Also, maybe a lack of other rides in the immediate area? DL has POTC nearby, and you have to walk past it to get to HM, which is high capacity and has no height restriction.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

•   
    • Minion

I'd say it has less to do with FP and a lot more to do with the fact that Magic Kingdom has at least a million more visitors every year than Disneyland does, with fewer attractions.

MK: 17 million; 30 attractions
    DLR: 16 million; 52 attractions

Trying to funnel more people into less available space = longer lines.