Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Re: Indiana Jones Refurbishment scheduled May 1st 2012

You'd think that they could do it quieter and seemingly more efficiently. However, the solution of moving walls both here, and in the Boulder Room are two strokes of genius.

• Parking Lot > DCA

The only thing I can think for them putting a reason is so that if guests start to get angry, they can have an answer that most guests aren't going to question? It's hard to say. Let's hope it goes down for a while, but being so close to summer it's hard to say.

Well let's hope that while they fix that up, they get the doors opening consistently again. That big "reveal" is one of the best and most dramatic parts of any ride in the resort, second only to rounding the corner and seeing Indy's "big room" for the first time as the dramatic choral music plays.
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

• Photographer-In-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Burgower1994 View Post
    Please be open on July 22 I haven't been to Disneyland in 9 years if i don't go on my favorite ride I will be so sad.
    I can't see Disney not opening such a large attraction with a high capacity during A.)The summer (Tourist season) B.) A month after the new land Carsland opens, even more people will be attending the parks. I would say there's nothing to worry about but who knows. I wouldn't sweat it.
    -Carter P.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by PressPersily View Post
    I can't see Disney not opening such a large attraction with a high capacity during A.)The summer (Tourist season) B.) A month after the new land Carsland opens, even more people will be attending the parks. I would say there's nothing to worry about but who knows. I wouldn't sweat it.
    Agreed. Usually you would not see a big attraction closed during the summer unless it was for a very good reason. Space for example was closed for 2 years because the need of rebuilding everything. Indy so far has been slowly refurbed as they have been closing it for nearly a week in June the past 2 years. One thread on this topic did mention a possible refurb to occur after Labor Day and last until Thanksgiving which would give it a good 2 month refurb at least. Sounds similar to the Matterhorn where they had it closed in phases.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    The Doors do NOT move. The Walls move hiding the extra doors (there are 5 doors with 3 always showing. The walls move after your car goes through the only door that actually has a track (the other two are fakes) and the images above each door move as well as the are tied into the walls. The Walls move by a big chain drive. It is very noisy so that is why the sound is so loud in there, to cover up the noise the chain drive makes when moving the walls and Mara symbols above the door. I know this is true because I walked the ride with Tony Baxter the day before it opened and saw, and heard, it in operation.
    The door is Supposed to open and close, So yes it does move, it opens and closes.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• jhalderman

Quote Originally Posted by jayshap View Post
    Is there a chain in the beginning when you are driving up after the doors? I always thought it sounded like you hook onto one, and then you can hear it pulling you up like a roller coaster. I'm not sure though. But it's the only part that makes sense because you move in a straight line at a constant speed and are going uphill...

I have always noticed that sound. Even when the walls for the doors aren't working. There could be some sort of chain assist to go up that first hill. I've always loved that sound!

• Still lost in Neverland

No, there are no chain lifts in the ride. The car actually is driven by the tires.* The "track" is a slit in the floor that a sensor rides through and gets information on what to do from the 150 computers controlling the 3 on board computers. The chain you are hearing is the one I described above, moving the walls and fresco above the doors.

*= this is the reason the ride shuts down if there is a hydraulic leak that spreads across the floor. The tires spin and have no traction so they have to shut down, clean the floors totally and restart the ride. They are pretty quick about it now. It is the car that leaks the hydraulic fluid.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    No, there are no chain lifts in the ride. The car actually is driven by the tires.* The "track" is a slit in the floor that a sensor rides through and gets information on what to do from the 150 computers controlling the 3 on board computers. The chain you are hearing is the one I described above, moving the walls and fresco above the doors.
    but i hear that sound even if the doors aren't working that day..

He's saying it's not the doors, it's the physical apparatus that moves the entire room to make it appear that there are three pathways. Chains physically rotate the set piece around the door, pulling it in one direction or another to align the track with a different door facade.
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

• Still lost in Neverland

What you are hearing is the motor running that makes the chain rattle. When the ride broke down just after the car made the U turn at the top of the room and we had to walk back to the load area we went down the ramp with the CM's warning us to stay at the far side of the track as the floor was wet with fluid. As we came down, the doors were opening and the walls were not moving but the noise of the chain drive was deafening with no other sounds on. I think the reason it's a metal chain on a metal wheel that turns in order to move the walls. It's always on. They need the chains because those walls are big and oddly curved to move. It takes a lot of power and strength to move things like walls, frescoes and ceiling portions. Those thing are big and heavy. I was really in shock as we walking through that room and then down and through the doors. Big stuff going on there. Heaving stuff too. I would not want to standing anywhere in that area when those walls, etc, are actually moving as they have to move fast because the cars are 16 seconds apart maximum or the ride shuts down.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

oh i understand. i just thought i always heard even when the room and doors aren't working, but maybe it's my imagination. some imagination, huh?

• jhalderman

Quote Originally Posted by jayshap View Post
    oh i understand. i just thought i always heard even when the room and doors aren't working, but maybe it's my imagination. some imagination, huh?
    I've heard them when the doors and walls weren't moving at all.. the door was left in the open position and the wall has seemed to be stuck for a while...

I have been on Indy at least 60 times in the last year and yesterday was the first time I ever saw the doors open and close! Did they recently fix it, or was I just lucky it was working yesterday?

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I have been on Indy at least 60 times in the last year and yesterday was the first time I ever saw the doors open and close! Did they recently fix it, or was I just lucky it was working yesterday?
    This is great news if it was actually fixed.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast