Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Re: How Does Disney Deal With Birds?

After visiting WDW, the bird 'problem' at DLR seems like nothing! While in WDW, we were walking through Frontierland, past the entrance of Country Bear Jamboree, and the herons and seagulls were really thick around the River and the food carts lining the water. The birds were everywhere--think Alfred Hitchcock.... There was a group of about 4 teenage girls coming towards us. One seagull swooped down and cut right in front of her, its wing grazing her. Shoulda heard her scream! It was hilarious.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Not on the Jedi Council

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    As far as duck population, certain birds pick off the little ones before they get too big. Circle of life.

What is truly amazing, is watching the crows at dusk. They fly around and jostle for position on the higher branches. Must be some kind of seniority nesting.
    Yeah, the crows didn't know what to do that morning they found an elephant with a hangover in one of those trees... kinda funny, I saw a movie about that once.

In the spring, there are always ducks and duck families in the sub lagoon. But they just ride the waves or quickly paddle out of the way of the giant yellow thing coming towards them. Or they hop up on the front of the sub and quack angrily at the helmsman while they're trying to drive.

It's extremely rare for a duck to make it behind the waterfalls (that water comes down pretty hard), and even then they just spook the helmsman by flapping about until they find their way back out into the light.

• Minion

On Thursday afternoon I got on Small World and there were two CMs standing on the grassy area by the canal watching over a nest of baby ducks that had JUST hatched. I never went back on the ride so I don't know what happened to them, but the Small World canal is no place for newborn baby ducks to learn how to swim. I hope they are okay.

• Minion

Well, one time I had a half of a box of popcorn and left it out in my stroller, only to return to find two pigeons going to town on it. Oops.

• Dreamer

It would be funny if Giselle popped out of nowhere, singing to the birds, rats and squirrels and persuade them to help clean up the park.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I don't get how the ducks can be easily scared off by the sounds of Fantasmic yet be completely unmoved by a monorail's horn.

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    After visiting WDW, the bird 'problem' at DLR seems like nothing! While in WDW, we were walking through Frontierland, past the entrance of Country Bear Jamboree, and the herons and seagulls were really thick around the River and the food carts lining the water. The birds were everywhere--think Alfred Hitchcock.... There was a group of about 4 teenage girls coming towards us. One seagull swooped down and cut right in front of her, its wing grazing her. Shoulda heard her scream! It was hilarious.
    I'm more forgiving of the bird problem in Magic Kingdom because when they're not in swarms they actually add to the environment and immersion of the area. Sure once in a while they'll have the real life gator problem near Splash Mountain but it's still pretty cool nonetheless.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

It's interesting how the only birds that I ever notice are the little cute ones hopping around, perhaps finding a few crumbs out on the River Belle Terrace or similar places. I've never seen any pigeons or jays -- definitely not in the "cute" category, and fairly menacing. And Disneyland doesn't seem to have to resort to placing those "anti-bird" needles up on the tops of buildings and light fixtures, etc. It's amazing!

As to the baby ducks -- what a special treat. Could there be anything more endearing? And count me as one of the bamboozled when it comes to Fantasmic noises vs monorial horns!

Squab burritos in Frontierland

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    It's interesting how the only birds that I ever notice are the little cute ones hopping around, perhaps finding a few crumbs out on the River Belle Terrace or similar places. I've never seen any pigeons or jays -- definitely not in the "cute" category, and fairly menacing. And Disneyland doesn't seem to have to resort to placing those "anti-bird" needles up on the tops of buildings and light fixtures, etc. It's amazing!

As to the baby ducks -- what a special treat. Could there be anything more endearing? And count me as one of the bamboozled when it comes to Fantasmic noises vs monorial horns!
    Those cute little ones hopping around are actually sparrows. Kind of appropriate, huh?

And blue jays while plentiful in Northern California, tend to be found mostly in Southerm California in the mountains.

What is strange to me though is why I hardly ever see pigeons in the park. I see them throughout Orange County fairly regularly like near the beach and such. I will see a few sea gulls in the DLR occasionally but hardly ever a pigeon. I wonder why that is?

• Minion

I don't think the ducks are scared off by Fantasmic!, but instead, it has been reported that CMs feed them on the back side of TS Island at that time. They have learned a feeding schedule.

I love seeing the ducks on the Storybook Canal ride.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I love seeing the ducks on the Storybook Canal ride.
    Duckzillas! LOL

---------- Post added 03-26-2012 at 10:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    What is strange to me though is why I hardly ever see pigeons in the park. I see them throughout Orange County fairly regularly like near the beach and such. I will see a few sea gulls in the DLR occasionally but hardly ever a pigeon. I wonder why that is?
    Indeed! Disneyland would seem a pigeon's paradise. All those people dropping copious amounts of crumbs and nuggets. It is strange how pigeons are so plentiful at other venues like you mention, but not at the Park. Hmm I wonder what a pigeon's natural predator is? Maybe they have decoys of them out (although I've never noticed any).

• Mrs. J. Depp

The parks must do SOMETHING to discourage pigeons because I've also never seen pigeons or don't remember seeing any. They are truly disgusting birds, although they are kind of cute.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Elk Grove Chris

Wouldn't be surprised if there was some falconry activity. Some birds-of-prey can be taught to target certain species. Most airports use falcons or other birds of prey to keep large waterfowl away from the planes. I have not heard of any being used to target rock doves, but sounds plausible.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

• Minion

Sorry, DH reminded me that the birds involved in the popcorn incident mentioned above were crows, not pigeons. So yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a pigeon there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast