Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Country Bears. I miss em!

I'm just gonna put it out there. I miss the Country Bear Jamboree. Waiting in the preshow area with the doors w the Bears names on them and the machines that made penny medallions is near and dear to my heart. The show itself was simply magnificient. I miss the heck out of this show. I obviously know this Marc Davis awesome creation will never resurface again but I'd love if anyone has pics, vids, memorabilia to post and we can continue to remember this classic yesteryear attraction.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Country Bears. I miss em!

I, too, miss the Bears, and the waiting area as you mention: seeing the paw and claw prints in the floor, the framed pictures. Very strong memories of that.

The show that sticks with me the most is the Vacation Hoedown, I guess being the version I saw the most times.

I always loved the Ghost Riders portion the most.

when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Yes!! I do remember that. If you have footy of the Beach Boys California Girls segment that'd awesome!

---------- Post added 03-22-2012 at 08:57 PM ----------

I loved when Rufus would run up to the projector room to start the show and theyd all sing

• MaliBOOMer

I saw this show when i went to Disney World in 2011. I was not impressed, was it better when it was at Disneyland? People talk fondly of it.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I saw this show when i went to Disney World in 2011. I was not impressed, was it better when it was at Disneyland? People talk fondly of it.
    Yes it was a different experience for us DLrs back in the day. To see AA magic at what I feel is the pinnacle was the best. When the busts of Max n company came alive when u were a kid was something extremely special. A show led by a cast of AAs that sang and all had personalities I can remeber to this day is very nostalgic. Don't get me started on America Sings

This thread just makes me sad. I miss it all. I miss the Great Outdoors, the California Bears, Two Different Worlds, Life's no picnic without ya....

Much much more entertaining than Winnie the Pooh!

• Minion

A good example of a well done attraction. Yes, I miss the Country Bears too. My daughter watches them on YouTube and asks me if we can see them at Disneyland. I broke the news to her and said they are at WDW. She said it was OK that they are on YouTube.

For me, well, I'm of the (probably unpopular minority) opinion that Country Bears weren't all that great. I wasn't a fan of the attraction when I was a kid, so there's no nostalgia factor attached to it either, which is probably why I'm always so surprised that everyone on the board here seems to think otherwise.

For those who do enjoy it, is some of your enjoyment tied to that nostalgia?

I don't necessarily think the Pooh dark-ride is some huge improvement (I'm indifferent towards that ride) but I can understand the reasoning why they made the change.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Well, call it personal taste....not everyone likes the same attractions, even as children. I think, right now, Indiana Jones Adventure (the ride itself, the queue is amazing) is no great shakes...which not very many folks agree with. People like different things and no harm in that

I saw CBJ again in Florida (the original version, not vacation or Christmas) and some of the music choices were hokey to my modern standards, but overall, it was fun and good to see another solid 'AA review' type theater show which Disneyland has lost. I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away.

With Disneyland, for me, it was the total package: the exterior approach to the theater, the waiting area, Max, Buff and Melvin on the wall starting the show, the show itself, then going to the Mile Long Bar afterwards or Teddi Barra's arcade. The surroundings at Magic Kingdom are a little less immersive than DL, which may have added to not feeling the same about it there.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Closed Account

It's the kind of attraction that would fit perfectly in the Golden State section of DCA and would go a long way towards achieving goodwill with the fanbase.

I think our inexpicable love for AAs on this forum has somewhat to do with this awesome show. Whenever my parents were tired and wanted to sit we'd come to Country Bear. It was a tradition. I'm sure i'm so critical of present AAs is because of how awesome Country Bear, America Sings was and made such an impact on me as a child.

---------- Post added 03-22-2012 at 09:59 PM ----------

I don't think Disney could ever bring it back. It wouldnt be right. It's rightful place was in Bear Country. It's time has passed but dang how I miss it. Seeing the Hungry Bear with no Country Bear still confuses my mind.

• ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I just saw it at WDW last October.
    Yes,
    it's better at Disneyland.
    I remember our theaters being larger.
    We also had a better waiting area. The one at WDW is blaaah.

---------- Post added 03-22-2012 at 10:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Well, call it personal taste....not everyone likes the same attractions, even as children. I think, right now, Indiana Jones Adventure (the ride itself, the queue is amazing) is no great shakes...which not very many folks agree with. People like different things and no harm in that

I saw CBJ again in Florida (the original version, not vacation or Christmas) and some of the music choices were hokey to my modern standards, but overall, it was fun and good to see another solid 'AA review' type theater show which Disneyland has lost. I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away.

With Disneyland, for me, it was the total package: the exterior approach to the theater, the waiting area, Max, Buff and Melvin on the wall starting the show, the show itself, then going to the Mile Long Bar afterwards or Teddi Barra's arcade. The surroundings at Magic Kingdom are a little less immersive than DL, which may have added to not feeling the same about it there.
    Yes!!!
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Thank you for putting it so well. CBJ was one of the last great gasps of the old WED Imagineering, a truly original experience. You were placed in a fully realized fictional, yet believable environment which didn't exist anywhere in the real world. Nowadays, you may as well just watch the movie again and save yourself the trip.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Oh yes, I do miss the Country Bears! I still watch/listen to the videos on Youtube while I work. I have a few pieces of memorabilia I can post tomorrow. Posters, plush and such.. a few Tokyo Disney items as well.

But yes, though rather hokey, it was one of my favorite attractions and I miss it very much. I remember the last time I saw them at DL in summer 99. I did get to see them last summer when I took a trip to WDW. It felt very different and not because it was the original show.

Anyway.. pictures tomorrow!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast