•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Emporium ceramic/porcelain figurines they used to sell at the park

One of my clear memories as a kid visiting Disneyland were the shelves of these breakable character figurines inside the Emporium, on the wall that had the doors that let you out by the fire station/Walt's apartment.

I always kind of half-heartedly look at these shelves when visiting the parks now, but of course, these are never there. Anyone else remember these? There was a tiny, very small set that maybe sat on a mouse-ear shaped base (Chip and Dale, I think, were among these) and there were nice, larger pieces as well (I recall seeing Snow White, the dwarves, and characters from 101 Dalmatians among these.) As I recall, even the bigger pieces at the time (80's and early 90's) were still under ten dollars and were very high quality for the price.

I still have a Malificent and Old Hag/Evil Queen I would have picked up at the tail end of them being available, perhaps 98-early 2000's, but no clear date I know when they stopped being sold. Anyone else have fond memories of these figures, or have some still in your collections?
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Re: Emporium ceramic/porcelain figurines they used to sell at the park

I have very fond memories of these. I have a small collection that I received beginning with Cinderella for a christmas when I was about 7 (1978). Each trip I took I would pick out one figurine. I did this until they stopped selling them all together. That was 2004-ish.
    Recently I picked up a few on Ebay. And I've purged my collection, getting it down to few complete sets--Bambi, Lady and Tramp, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, 101 Dalmatians. I few a few stragglers--Dumbo, Pirate Donald (ebay finds).
    I love my figurines. I dusted them last week! I'm moving soon, so they are going back into storage for a spell and then on a nice high shelf in the baby's room.
    And I still check the china store when I get to DLR, just in case they decide to bring 'em back (nope---just more mugs, frames and pens with the year on it). Sigh.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• Minion

ORWEN: At one point I used to have the entire collection of those! But I had to give them away to a co-worker back in the mid 90's when we ran out of room in our small home. Yes, I actually just gave them away without charging a cent. And I must have had over 100 of them. They even had some rare characters at the time--like Bernard and Bianca from the rescures. They had also made figures from Aladdin, which I had just bought a few months before giving them away. My favorite set was the Sleeping Beauty set, which included Flora, Fauna and Merryweather. I'm sure if I still had the whole set it would be worth a fortune. I hope my neighbor appreciated getting them!

• Disney Fan 4 Life

I used to collect them, and I saved my money up to buy one each visit. I went for my favorite characters. Through many moves I lost or broke all but my Hunchback one. I miss them, as they represent a form of souvenir no longer available at the park. They were unique and wonderful!
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Emporium ceramic/porcelain figurines they used to sell at the park

If these are the Disney Collector's Society figurines, my Mother-In-Law bought tons of these for grandkids. I found a 3 inch stack of membership cards that she appeared to have gotten in the names of almost everyone she was related to by blood or marriage. There's a big box in the next room I still need to go through since her death so I can see what duplicates we have. One day I'll figure out what shipping supplies and such that I need to put them on eBay. I usually only sell hockey tickets there, and never worry about them breaking in transit.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The collector's society figures are different, as I recall: got through mail order and more 'moment specific' to films plus came with more than one piece at times, plus more expensive.

The Disneyland sculpts were more 'generic' of the characters and made specifically for the park, less fine quality.

Disney Collector's piece: http://www.cardcow.com/images/set395/card00672_fr.jpg

Disneyland Emporium ceramic figure: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JzDxMOTsbx...+Bookshelf.JPG

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Definitely different. And I have definitely dusted one of those very Dumbo figures.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    I still have a Malificent and Old Hag/Evil Queen I would have picked up at the tail end of them being available, perhaps 98-early 2000's, but no clear date I know when they stopped being sold. Anyone else have fond memories of these figures, or have some still in your collections?
    Were these the porcelain figures that I use to find in select WDW shops as well? Being a Villains fanatic I wound up buying the lot they offered (Snow White Evil Queen, Old Hag, Malificent, Ursula, Cruella, Jafar, Hades) during two successive trips and still have them - as well as similiar-themed snowglobes I found more locally at Disney Stores, Hallmark ornaments, pvc figues, etc. God but I'm glad I was around when Disney was offering this stuff before they decided Villains weren't what customers wanted...

• Bring back the Keelboats!

After looking at the picture of Cinderella and checking the shelves in the office, it looks like I have an Alice in Wonderland figure. I have quite a few 101 Dalmations around the room, but not sure if they are the same.

I, too, miss the variety that used to be.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by HMfanatic View Post
    Were these the porcelain figures that I use to find in select WDW shops as well? Being a Villains fanatic I wound up buying the lot they offered (Snow White Evil Queen, Old Hag, Malificent, Ursula, Cruella, Jafar, Hades) during two successive trips and still have them - as well as similiar-themed snowglobes I found more locally at Disney Stores, Hallmark ornaments, pvc figues, etc. God but I'm glad I was around when Disney was offering this stuff before they decided Villains weren't what customers wanted...
    It's certainly possible the figurines were sold at WDW too, but never saw them there (admittedly made very infrequent visits to the Florida parks).

And hadn't really thought about it, but basically you're right, there is pretty much zero straight villain merchandise anymore that isn't the occasional shirt (I think I saw a Big Bad Wolf gas station shirt in World of Disney within the past 3 years), or high-end collector items of a limited sort. If it's widespread for souvenirs these days, it's princesses, Jack Sparrow, Marvel or Mickey's friends and that's about all. Really too bad.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Ah, I long for the days of less expensive but wonderful souvenirs. I just don't see this much at the resort these days. Admittedly I miss the old post cards as well...hmmmm I guess I just aged myself..lol
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

I have a rather extensive collection of these in storage. I could not part with them as they are some of my fondest childhood memories. They will be divided among the kids at some point. Until then I am purging a couple of rooms so I can find them a good an proper place to live for the time being.

I still have some of those in our china cabinet. I always used the money I had saved up to get one on each trip to the park when I was little. If only some of them hadn't broken over the years. My kids love looking at them and I wish they could keep adding to the collection.
    Visit the Hamand Family Blog to see what we've been up to. http://matthamand.blogspot.com