Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Visiting The animation Studios

Hey everyone, next week i am planing to go to LA and was wondering if my family and i could go to Disney's animation studios. And if i can are there any tours, or could we just walk around there and go inside some of there buildings?

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Visiting The animation Studios

Walt Disney Animation Studios

Tours can be scheduled through your professor or your school’s Career Services offices. We are unable to provide individual tours.

Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

ya but could i walk there alone with my family and go into some buildings?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak88 View Post
    ya but could i walk there alone with my family and go into some buildings?
    Not really: admittance is private and by appointment/arranged tour or knowing someone who works within or working there yourself. Not free to just go inside and venture into buildings at will, since it is private property and a workplace first and foremost.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Really i cant go through the property itself. I thought they had a little museum that people could go visit there where the piano is and stuff

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak88 View Post
    Really i cant go through the property itself. I thought they had a little museum that people could go visit there where the piano is and stuff
    The entire Disney Studios property is surrounded by a gate and all visitors must get through a security gate to enter.

You are thinking of the Walt Disney Archives where Walt's original piano is on display. The archives is only accessible to members of the Walt Disney Company or D23 members on a D23-arranged tour of the Studios. Public access is not allowed.

Lights Camera Magic Tour | Adventures by Disney Southern California Guided Tour| Disneyland Resort

I just booked this tour for my own trip in May. It's not cheap, but I anticipate it being worthwhile.

Without being on a special Disney offered tour, having incredible connections with someone high enough up inside Disney management, or a special occasion, the most you can do is walk around the outside of the Walt Disney Studios and peer inside the gates.

People should also be aware that not every tour offers the same thing to all guests. When I went I was able to tout the Studios, our group was fortunate enough to visit the Archives, but I was reading a Trip Report of someone who took the Adventures by Disney tour a few months later, they didn't even get to go inside the building where the Archives are located.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Gross View Post
    Lights Camera Magic Tour | Adventures by Disney Southern California Guided Tour| Disneyland Resort

I just booked this tour for my own trip in May. It's not cheap, but I anticipate it being worthwhile.
    It is WELL worth it.
    Ive been on it and that list explains what goes on. At the commissary you can even try Walts chilli, supposedly its the same recipe Walt used to use. At the "reception" every adult get a free adult beverage and each mouseketeer gets soda, milk or juice. The 'snacks" are a FULL meal trust me and its all you care to eat.

There are alot of extras you get on the tour that we cant talk about but youll LOVE em

---------- Post added 04-01-2012 at 07:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepless Knight View Post
    Without being on a special Disney offered tour, having incredible connections with someone high enough up inside Disney management, or a special occasion, the most you can do is walk around the outside of the Walt Disney Studios and peer inside the gates.

People should also be aware that not every tour offers the same thing to all guests. When I went I was able to tout the Studios, our group was fortunate enough to visit the Archives, but I was reading a Trip Report of someone who took the Adventures by Disney tour a few months later, they didn't even get to go inside the building where the Archives are located.
    Sorry but that is not true, you get to go into the archives that part of the tour is the same as yours. The kodak theater or the Chinese theater are the things that change depending on the time of year.

---------- Post added 04-01-2012 at 07:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepless Knight View Post
    again sorry but not true, all regular CM and there family and friends they bring that day can go in, actually it might be limited to the number of sign-ins you get a day im not sure.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Noty View Post
    Sorry but that is not true, you get to go into the archives that part of the tour is the same as yours. The kodak theater or the Chinese theater are the things that change depending on the time of year.
    Actually I did the tour in January (Adventures by Disney) and we did not get to go into the archives. We did however do the Kodak and the Chinese theatre.

I loved it. I just wish we could of spent more time at the studio and had a chance to see more of the campus and to see some of the sound stages.

The security gate, where all must pass.

What a great group of people to tour with!

I have heard that CM's can get in, but I think they have to have an appointment, or schedule it in advance. I'd love to do it again someday.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

^^^^ Hey, that's me, front and center. Awesome tour! Adventures by Disney was a wonderful day. The Archives did have a lot of displays out in the Frank G. Wells Building and it changes regularly.

If you have the chance to take the tour.... do it!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Goodness gracious, I hope the Archives are on the tour. That's probably the part I want to see most after just getting into the Studios at all! I would quite possibly go into open revolt if denied...

We're going in May, which is after they change up the tour. According to the nice lady on the phone, our morning is going to be wasted with window shopping for expensive things I can't afford to buy because I just booked $400 worth of tour, followed by lunch at the Original Farmer's Market and The Grove, and then the Studios in the afternoon. Upon hearing the relief in my voice that the shopping was only going to be in the morning, she promised me that there would be lots of extras so I would still have fun ^_^

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

The tour of the archives was suppose to be part of our tour... but when we were there it was "closed until the afternoon...."

I would do the tour again and was sad to hear that Gladstones will no longer be the close of the day. That was great to end the trip there, overlooking the ocean at sunset. I hope you do a trip report Cory after your adventure, and let us know exactly how it went. My least fav part was the Rodeo Drive part. Sure it was nice to say I've been there but I don't really have any desire to go back there. I would rather of spent more time at the studio and when they called me after for a survey I told them exactly that.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Until she told me that the shopping was just the morning, I was fully prepared to ask if it would even be possible for my girlfriend and I just to be dropped off at an actual sight and then picked up later. The lack of attractions compared to the opportunities for shopping is probably the most bizarre thing about it (What would be better than Rodeo Drive, the Original Farmer's Market and The Grove? Um... The El Captian Theater, Roosevelt Hotel, Griffith Observatory, Bronson Canyon, Walt's Barn, the Hollywood Museum, Hollywood Heritage Museum, Hollywood Boulevard, the Magic Castle... Y'know, actual stuff). I'm just not complaining too hard because the real point was to go to the Studios. Anything else is extra.

And yes, I'll be sure to make (or link to) a trip report when I get back ^_^

• Parking Lot > DCA

Like the others have said, you can't get in unless you are part of one of the tours mentioned above. I personally have walked in through the main gate and asked security if I could mosey over to the courtyard where the Walt and Roy statues are and he told me no. Apparently you could at one point, but they don't want to deal with people going back there anymore, someone falling or something and then trying to sue.

Still though, you can see a nice chunk of the studio from the road. Also if you are in the Glendale area, Walt's memorial is at that Forest Lawn right near the studio, as well as his barn. And closer to Hollywood the Warner Bros studio and Universal Studios both offer private tours of their backlots. Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast