Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Closed Account

It'll never happen...

...but isn't it time for someone to attempt to make a hard-hitting documentary about the working conditions cast members are going through because of Presenteeism?

Disney would never go for it, but whoever did it could interview tired and overworked CMs and then go to TDA to show the suits the data they've collected.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Re: It'll never happen...

Yeah, because there is one thing that the movie going public is demanding, and thats a behind the scenes documentary about Disneyland.

title of this thread is correct, it'll never happen....I doubt I would even watch it.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Sock Puppet

As difficult as things are getting for DL CMs, compared to most people in the US, they have it pretty good. Like the New York transit workers quickly found out, they would get little sympathy from the majority of blue collar workers who would really like the opportunity to earn overtime pay while working in a fish cannery, meat packing plant, shipyard or Wal-Mart. Of course, all the unemployed textile workers in the Midwest would likely also have a tough time sympathizing with DL CM's. Thus, a documentary about the plight of Disneyland wouldn't be exactly hard-hitting.

Now, don't get me wrong. I agree that DL CM's are being put into some very difficult (and with large crowds, sometimes dangerous) situations. However, consider that things previously were pretty darned good. Relatively speaking, this makes things seem pretty bad. I do hope DL management improves working conditions for CMs very soon.

The CM's are spoiled and lazy compared to the CM's of years ago.

The attendance policy they are implementing has been on the books for many years but wasn't enforced under Pressler/Harris. The forced OT is unfortunate and needs to be changed but the attendance policy is more than fair.

• I love my family!

I have worked at several parks including DL in my time and I can say for sure that most CM's are spoiled. Toke it all for granted, then they started to enforce the rules and make them work and they couldn't take it.

The CM's that I know that are taking it a little better are the former other park employees who know how good they really have it.

All the other area parks start at Minimum, things could be much worse.

• done

Yes, a documentary on Disney CMs. That's the box office bonanza Hollywood has been desperately searching for.

• Hooterville, USA

If conditions are so deplorable, get out! No one is making anyone stay at DL. And if I remember correctly, overtime is being paid at premium wages. Not to sound so uncaring, but this thread is just silly!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• șoș Tom șoș

Mana Byte- its an excellent suggestion but perhaps a bit too specific. I can't imagine a hard hitting 2 hour documentary on the subject. Perhaps 2 hours on the history of the CM's, side bars about famous CMs, the 50 club, etc and then end with a note about the effect the 50th has had on the double shifts, unending 7 and 8 days schedules with no time off, etc.
    Yes, a documentary on Disney CMs. That's the box office bonanza Hollywood has been desperately searching for.
    The only documentary to be a box office bonanza was Michael Moore's "F 911." Documentaries are rarely made for massive profit. They cost far less then a conventional film and yield less profit over all but are designed for more meaningful enlightenment then most mainstream films.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tui
    Yeah, because there is one thing that the movie going public is demanding, and thats a behind the scenes documentary about Disneyland.title of this thread is correct, it'll never happen....I doubt I would even watch it.
    The movie going public doesn't demand documentaries at all, the only reason a few have risen above PBS status over the last few years is the efforts of a few enlightened people who forced the public into seeing it so they could keep up with the intellectual musing at dinner parties and public events...besides which I doubt you would watch ANY documentary.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Mana Byte- its an excellent suggestion but perhaps a bit too specific. I can't imagine a hard hitting 2 hour documentary on the subject. Perhaps 2 hours on the history of the CM's, side bars about famous CMs, the 50 club, etc and then end with a note about the effect the 50th has had on the double shifts, unending 7 and 8 days schedules with no time off, etc. The only documentary to be a box office bonanza was Michael Moore's "F 911." Documentaries are rarely made for massive profit. They cost far less then a conventional film and yield less profit over all but are designed for more meaningful enlightenment then most mainstream films. The movie going public doesn't demand documentaries at all, the only reason a few have risen above PBS status over the last few years is the efforts of a few enlightened people who forced the public into seeing it so they could keep up with the intellectual musing at dinner parties and public events...besides which I doubt you would watch ANY documentary.
    While I agree with your statements, I can think of two exceptions. "On Any Sunday" and "March of the Penguins" are two documentaries which the public went out of their way to see. For those younger than I, which is probably everybody, "On Any Sunday" was a documentary about motorcycling in the 1970's. PBS used to show it during their fundraisers.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I hate how people treat employees like trash. If only one day, the workers could boss their bosses around. If only one day.....(Begins to go into deep thought)

• Dont make me unfriend you

From the responses to this thread, you can see that the public really doesn't care about the CM's and working conditions at DL.

Maybe not a full documentary, but maybe 20 minutes of CBS' 60 minutes. Or part of Date Line, ect. *shrug* Again, not sure how much interest there would be in it.

•   
    • Minion

I also wouldn't scoff at PBS documentaries, shucks... Ken Burn's Cival War was a powerhouse of a production... I think it is the single most popular documentary ever made...
    Check out my other blog:

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Little Buck
    While I agree with your statements, I can think of two exceptions. "On Any Sunday" and "March of the Penguins" are two documentaries which the public went out of their way to see. For those younger than I, which is probably everybody, "On Any Sunday" was a documentary about motorcycling in the 1970's. PBS used to show it during their fundraisers.
    But they were not box office banazas as was stated above---F 911 was the most profitable documentary ever....

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    But they were not box office banazas as was stated above---F 911 was the most profitable documentary ever....
    Had the Civil War been released by Burns from private investors, you bet it would have been more profitable that F 9/11... It would have been sold to Showtime/HBO rather than the theatre....

There is no question in my mind about it really...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I think that if you are to make a film about over worked employees, include more companies in the documentary rather than just the ones who work at disneyland. I mean what about the Wal Mart Employees of those transit employees on strike in New York? I think a documentary would be more better if it focused on more than just one company.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast