• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Question "Radiator Springs Racers" Question

This thread is regarding a question I have about the upcoming and new attraction "Radiator Springs Racers." I remember reading that the attraction would have the capabilities of having each car switch side of the track, however I haven't seen anything about this exciting feature for a long while. Is this still happening or did that get scrapped?

Thanks!

Take care,
    Joe N.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Re: "Radiator Springs Racers" Question

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    This thread is regarding a question I have about the upcoming and new attraction "Radiator Springs Racers." I remember reading that the attraction would have the capabilities of having each car switch side of the track, however I haven't seen anything about this exciting feature for a long while. Is this still happening or did that get scrapped?

Thanks!

Take care,
    Joe N.
    While that would be a very cool effect, it's not going to happen. Each of the cars is affixed to a sort of pole that protrudes down through a slot in the middle of the half of the track it is riding along. Therefore, there is no way that the cars will be able to switch from one side of the track to the other.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    While that would be a very cool effect, it's not going to happen. Each of the cars is affixed to a sort of pole that protrudes down through a slot in the middle of the half of the track it is riding along. Therefore, there is no way that the cars will be able to switch from one side of the track to the other.
    Yes, it is actualy happening. The ride designs in the Blue Sky Cellar are still calling for it, and, if you recall, Indiana Jones uses the track switch system with the station. So yes it is happening.

"Don't worry...our Disneyland ride will come soon."

Wait, so are you talking about when you are racing you switch from side to side like real race cars, because if so than no. It is a slot car type ride that's on a fixed track. But DisneylandMaster is right, you will be switching off at the beginning which room you go in before the race, as I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandMaster View Post
    Yes, it is actualy happening. The ride designs in the Blue Sky Cellar are still calling for it, and, if you recall, Indiana Jones uses the track switch system with the station. So yes it is happening.
    I think the OP meant, will the cars be able to switch sides of the track while racing. And the answer is a simple no.

In the past few months I spoke to several Engineers for Disney as well as a chance to interview a senior Engineer at the company that designed the ride system that Radiator Springs Racers is using (They designed the original Test Track ride system too).

Radiator Springs will feature track switches. At one point during the "show" scenes your car will either take one of two paths (this part will also set the cars in position for the actual racing segment of the ride). There will also be some very cool surprises in those show scenes (I don't want to spoil it).

As for the track switch itself, if you've ever seen the track switches for Indy, Dinosaur or the maintenance track switch for Test Track you should have a good idea of how it should operate.

The teams of Engineers have been working really hard on this element of the ride and although it sounds rather simple a lot of design work and testing went into it. It will be very interesting to see this attraction in action when it opens!
    Theme Park Reporter
    -Coaster-net.com
    -WDWNT:The Magazine

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I think the OP meant, will the cars be able to switch sides of the track while racing. And the answer is a simple no.
    Yeah, I thought he meant the regular track switch thing during the ride.

"Don't worry...our Disneyland ride will come soon."