Thread: Trip Advice

Trip Advice

I'm fairly certain I have this covered, but I thought I'd run my plan past the wonders of MiceChat and see if I am missing something...

My husband (not a fan of DLR) has agreed to take the baby (18 months) for a short trip. She's been watching that ridiculous sing-along dvd and he wants to see the magic in action. Since my baby is little and my husband is a delicate creature when you it comes to crowds and Disney my plan is as follows:

• Leave Sac on Friday 5-11 and spend the day driving to DLR (7-8 hours)
    • Maybe Downtown Disney for dinner and some souvenir shopping
    • Get up and hit DL early on Saturday. We're only doing 1-day 1-park to save $$ and DCA just doesn't have enough stuff for us considering CL and BVS won't be open
    • Leave DL for nap and return in the later afternoon for evening activities.
    • Sing When you Wish Upon a Star while we gaze at the majesty of Sleeping Beauty's Castle

Of course we want to do everything the park has to offer. We'll probably pass on anything the baby can't do.

So....am I missing something? Is there some crazy event planned for this day that I am unaware of? Can I end a sentence with a preposition?

And lastly...other advice? She's only 18 months so little amounts of magic at a time.

Thanks in advance.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

Re: Trip Advice

Please don't be disappointed later in life when you ask her: "Remember that great time we had at Disneyland when you were a year and a half?" and she says: Ah, No!".

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Popcornballs View Post
    Please don't be disappointed later in life when you ask her: "Remember that great time we had at Disneyland when you were a year and a half?" and she says: Ah, No!".
    *sigh* Necessary? It doesn't cost anything to bring an 18mo old into the park, and that is very much old enough for the child to have a great time. It's like saying "I'm not going to buy you any toys because you won't remember them when you're older." And while the child might not remember, most parents DO remember the first time they brought their child to a Disney park, and that's a special memory too.

Anyway, sleepybear, you will have a great time . Biggest piece of advice is to make good use of the Baby Care Center at the end on Main Street by the corn dog cart. You are wise to respect your nap schedule. Only you know her boundaries, but many children at that age are scared of dark rides (particularly Snow White and Pinocchio). I would start her on Small World and see how that goes. DS also loved the train at that age, as well as Dumbo and the Carrousel. If you need a quiet place to kick back, I like the Hungry Bear where you can watch the RoA and sit in the shade for a while. Bring high-protein snacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    Anyway, sleepybear, you will have a great time . Biggest piece of advice is to make good use of the Baby Care Center at the end on Main Street by the corn dog cart. You are wise to respect your nap schedule. Only you know her boundaries, but many children at that age are scared of dark rides (particularly Snow White and Pinocchio). I would start her on Small World and see how that goes. DS also loved the train at that age, as well as Dumbo and the Carrousel. If you need a quiet place to kick back, I like the Hungry Bear where you can watch the RoA and sit in the shade for a while. Bring high-protein snacks.
    I agree with the Baby Care Center. I've been going to Disneyland all my life, and just found out about this when my son was born. It's a great place not just for kids to relax from the madness outside, but for parents as well.

Also, bring some stuff (like small toys, books, snacks) to keep her occupied while waiting in line.

Enjoy your trip

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

• Bring back the Keelboats!

ShelbyH had very good advice. Especially about Pinocchio and Snow White. The Mark Twain is a nice, relaxing ride, too. Skip Columbia with its cannon blasting off. Peter Pan might work, but Toad is loud and frantic. Storybook Land Canal boats.

You will have a great time! Take lots of pictures. We have one of our grand on her first trip. She could barely stand on her own and we have a Meet-n-Greet with Goofy with her standing there, arms out to him! It is priceless!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

The Baby Care Center is very calm and peaceful inside. I've been taking my 2 since they were really little and they've enjoyed Small World, Pooh, Storybook boats, Dumbo, Casey Jr., the train, pretty much everything they've been on. They used to fall asleep in the stroller for the afternoon so it's probably good that you're planning to head back to the hotel for naps. If there are some of the bigger rides that you want to go on you could always ask for a rider switch pass. One of you rides while the other watches the little one and then you switch so that you don't have to wait in the line twice. Take lots of pictures. Both of my kids love looking at our Disney album of their first trips. Your little one may or may not like the giant costumed characters. My little girl is fine with meeting princesses but doesn't really want to get to close to the non-face characters, so we respect that and just have her wave from a distance. You'll be the best judge of your own little one. Most of all have a great time.
    Visit the Hamand Family Blog to see what we've been up to. http://matthamand.blogspot.com

• Minion

Excellent tip about the non-face characters. If she seems interested though, give it a try. They are really good about being non-threatening. On DS's first meet with Mickey, he shied away so Mickey gave him his hand:

Name:  IMG_3528.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3529.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3530.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3531.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  89.6 KB

Sorry for the giant pics--he was about 1 in these pictures.

Thanks for all the advice.

This a a very different trip for me. We met the Easter Bunny yesterday and she was not sure, but okay with the whole idea. She was cautious for sure. But she sat on his lap and didn't cry for the camera (a smile was too much to ask for). We will see how she feels about Mickey.

As for her not remembering her trip...how old do you have to be to "remember" your first trip? I remember being 3? and my dad forcing me on Pirates and I screamed all the way through. But that is all I remember. I remember being 7 and taking my baby brother and my mom sitting on the benches with him while my aunt tried to convince to ride Space Mountain (it was brand new!). but that's all I remember. A flash of my mother being annoyed about being at Disneyland and putting on a nice smile for me. I remember that my dad took me for my 12th birthday and I spent the entire day deciding about riding Matterhorn and when I was finally ready it was closed due to an accident (found the latter after I got home). And that is all I remember.

My point is that she will not remember. But I will and there will also be an obscene amount of pictures that I will take and one bangin' scrapbook I can assure you.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!